Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: mattress for camper

Re: mattress for camper

Quote Originally Posted by Marinakorp View Post
    Gap between the slide out and the top to the cargo area is a pain...
    We just slide a dish towel in there when we setup.
    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800,2001 Honda Shadow VLX, 1970 Honda Passport 70
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 175
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

Quote Originally Posted by 1betsy1 View Post
    Do you have the standard mattress from RAH on the trailer also?
    I'm trying to figure what thickness of memory foam I can add with the RAH mattress and still get the Camper to close with both mattress in place?
    Thx
    That is a ver good question. When I first got or aspen I thought a nice 3 inch mattress would be really nice and after spending a fair amount of cash for it, we found out it would not pack up under the top (to thick). After I tryed every which way to make it work I gave up and now we use a air mattresss with a built in air pump. It makes it a little tall for climbing into bed but it takes up very little room.

Senior
    2009 Victory Vision
    Aspen classic
    Over night Camping welcome

Quote Originally Posted by papabee49 View Post
    We have 2 of the thermarest Luxury 3" mats, seem to wook well on top of the stock mattress in our Aspen Classic
    Does this thick pad pose any problems when folding up to travel? Where do you store this pad? My basement is already pretty much filled. Thanks.

E. Iowa, Overnite Camping 15mi off Hwy 20

RAH king here. MrsJ wanted more cush. so we put a 1.5" foam pad on the mattress. It seemed to close hard but I noticed there was still a gap in the middle of the top, between the rails and fiberglass. I cut a little extra foam off the edges to narrow it up, still the same result. At that point I decided it did close so just gave up. It closes a little hard but settles down alright, we've driven through some rain with and no leaks. So till I find a firmer maybe little thicker mattress it'll have to do.
    On the gap at the slide rails, if I understand you right. I tried the foam pipe insulation over the rail, but it likes to roll off when you slide over it. So I use it till I get tired of replacing it then it ends up on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by mailman01 View Post
    Does this thick pad pose any problems when folding up to travel? Where do you store this pad? My basement is already pretty much filled. Thanks.
    It is a self inflating type and when rolled up it is about 6" x 30" and fits insie very nicely. You can also fold idt in haf and put in the top baggage pouch. We have the extra long and they almost fit flat on top of the tentage, just about 4" too long.
    Ritchie & Lyn
    Proud Parents of a Marine, a Solldier and a Salior
    2010 GL1800 Champion Trike, 2013 Aspen Classic

Quote Originally Posted by 1betsy1 View Post
    Do you have the standard mattress from RAH on the trailer also?
    I'm trying to figure what thickness of memory foam I can add with the RAH mattress and still get the Camper to close with both mattress in place?
    Thx
    YEs, I also have the existing mattress that came with the Trailer.

If I removed the original.. then I believe a 3" mattress would fit. I can check out how mine does.. in the spring... with out the existing mattress and the topper. I'm confident it will fit with bith pieces.

I did trim the mattress topper down in width to get it to fit. knocked a few inches off the side... seemed to close a little easier.
    1998 Honda Valkyrie - Standard Blue and Cream
    2013 RAH Wide

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

We put a 1 1/2 inch memory foam pad in with the original mattress in our RAH King and have no issues with closing. We trimmed the memory foam slightly smaller than the stock mattress and, apparently, that allowed enough room for the foam to spread out enough to allow easy closing. It has worked well for two years and several thousand miles. Remember that memory foam will collapse nearly flat and won't put undue pressure on the top once flattened. I wish I could put in a 6 inch memory foam pad but that would probably be too comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy1948 View Post
    We put a 1 1/2 inch memory foam pad in with the original mattress in our RAH King and have no issues with closing. We trimmed the memory foam slightly smaller than the stock mattress and, apparently, that allowed enough room for the foam to spread out enough to allow easy closing. It has worked well for two years and several thousand miles. Remember that memory foam will collapse nearly flat and won't put undue pressure on the top once flattened. I wish I could put in a 6 inch memory foam pad but that would probably be too comfortable.
    Great. Thx for the info.
    I would assume you bought the California king size memory pad?

Quote Originally Posted by papabee49 View Post
    It is a self inflating type and when rolled up it is about 6" x 30" and fits insie very nicely. You can also fold idt in haf and put in the top baggage pouch. We have the extra long and they almost fit flat on top of the tentage, just about 4" too long.
    Thanks, I look into a couple of these.

We have a standard bed RAH, added 1 1/2 inch memory foam, cut down slightly on the side to match the mattress width, really adds to the comfort, and closes fine with no problems, with the two sleeping bags and pillows on it.
    Lloyd and Judy in Columbiaville, MI.
    2013 Ural Patrol
    2012 Burgman 400
    We tent camp