Thread: Sunset Park, Linton, IN

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Fir Tree Sunset Park, Linton, IN

This is a quiet, city run campground located on the northern edge of town.

There are roughly 29 campsites, most of which have electric. Sites are level and most are shady, as there are plenty of large shade trees. The main entrance road into the park (and I think all other roads) are paved, with gravel/grass parking aprons.

Each campsite has a picnic table, fire ring and most had electric. There is a shower house and while it looks fairly new from the outside, it could be updated as it is rather 'spartan' and dated inside. Could also be cleaner.
    Firewood is available from the friendly (and helpful) Camp Host. No WiFi.
    No camp store or supplies available, but a Walmart/gas stations/restaurants are just a short ride away (~ 5 min)

I pulled into this campground after a long ride up from Atlanta and as soon as I entered the park, I had people waving at me. The camp host soon walked over to greet me and saw that I was wanting to move the large (and very heavy) picnic table around to a more suitable location. He walked back over to his cabin, got in his pickup and fetched me a slightly smaller (and much lighter) picnic table and then stuck around to help me erect my tent/tarp etc and to chat for a while.
    After I got everything set up and had dinner, another camper came over to introduce himself and to invite me over to his campsite to enjoy his campfire and a few adult beverages.

I didn't have time to explore what all the park had to offer seeing as didn't pull in until > 6, but there are a couple of small lakes surrounding the park. The grounds were fairly well kept and the price was cheap enough.

I would stay here again if needing a place to roost for the night and was in the general vicinity.

Campground Information: - http://www.cityoflinton.com/departme...structureid=39

Google Maps Park Location: - https://goo.gl/maps/LY5EhUXvAAT2 GPS Co-ordinates: - 39.053955, -87.142539

Camping Fees: - $8/night with electric, at time of visit

Time of Visit: - Sept 24, 2013

Weather Conditions at time of visit: - Sunny with a high of upper 70s/lower 80s. Night time low of mid to lower 60s

Sorry .... no photos of this campground
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Re: Sunset Park, Linton, IN

Thanks for the fine review, Dusty
    Ritchie & Lyn
    Proud Parents of a Marine, a Solldier and a Salior
    2010 GL1800 Champion Trike, 2013 Aspen Classic

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650 mcrider1959's Avatar

Re: Sunset Park, Linton, IN

Thanks for the campground review, Dusty Boots!

I have been thru Linton Indiana many times over the years. Didn't know about Sunset Park tho.
    The Shakamak State Park BMW rally that I use to go to was only about 15 miles from Linton Indiana. Linton also had a BMW shop at the time.

I looked Sunset Park up on Google Satellite maps and it looks like the park/campground is in an old abandoned strip mine area with all those little lakes there. Next time I am over that way, I will stop in and check the place out whether I need to camp for the night or just passing thru.

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650/2006 KLX250S