Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain Breaking/Riveting Tools

Chain Breaking/Riveting Tools

I am getting ready to replace the chain and sprockets on my GS800 and will need to buy a tool to get the chain replaced. I have noted the price of the tool is nearly half the amount of good chain. I am looking for recommendations if you all care to give them to me.

Does anyone have any experience with the Stockton Tool...it is on sale:http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/A...ck-to-top-link

Thanks in advance.
    "Four Wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul"............Ride Safe 09 F800GS
    www.justcallmewhosoever.blogspot.com

Re: Chain Breaking/Riveting Tools

I bought this set when I changed the sprockets and chain on my Tiger 1050 this past summer. Worked fine. Take your time. I also ground off the rivet heads before pushing out the rivets. Bill
    Bill & Sharon - 2007 Triumph Tiger

I have not used that particular one but it looks better than the one I have used and is a better price. I read some of the reviews and think it's a good deal.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Whosoever View Post
    I am getting ready to replace the chain and sprockets on my GS800 and will need to buy a tool to get the chain replaced. I have noted the price of the tool is nearly half the amount of good chain. I am looking for recommendations if you all care to give them to me.

Does anyone have any experience with the Stockton Tool...it is on sale:http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/A...ck-to-top-link

Thanks in advance.
    Pete
    2010 Goldwing, 2012 Aspen Sentry

There are no strangers here, just friends we haven't met!

had chain n sprockets changed out, just b4 i traded my WEE strom off

i always sit in a corner of the shop, while Tony works on my toys

my stock chain was riveted and i asked him about the magic tool

he doesn't/didn't use one

just positioned everything & peened the pins

HE SAID he's never had a problem, doing it that way

btw, he is Suzuki factory trained and was the svc mgr of our local shop, b4 going out on his own

just sayin

sw
    Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now! steve ('08 ural gear-up, dr350, ttr230)

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Pat I bought one of these when I visited the Cycle Gear store in Louisville. They had them on a three day sale for $19.99 if you made another purchase. I couldn't pass that up. I have used it one time so far and it did fine. I'm in the process of installing a new chain and sprockets on the V-Strom as soon as the icy weather passes. The old chain removed itself! I always just grind off the heads of the link, or cut the link off with a wafer blade. It's been setting since the end of September, but I decided then that I was NOT going to buy another cheap chain.

What did you end up going with?
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
    Pat I bought one of these when I visited the Cycle Gear store in Louisville. They had them on a three day sale for $19.99 if you made another purchase. I couldn't pass that up. I have used it one time so far and it did fine. I'm in the process of installing a new chain and sprockets on the V-Strom as soon as the icy weather passes. The old chain removed itself! I always just grind off the heads of the link, or cut the link off with a wafer blade. It's been setting since the end of September, but I decided then that I was NOT going to buy another cheap chain.

What did you end up going with?
    Hey Zig....that is the same tool I was asking about. Based upon the positive review from others I ordered one on line for the same price. I figured if I could get one good use out of it ....it would be worth it.

Regarding the choice of chain...based up your comments I am going to go with the D.I.D. X ring chain but have to wait for Santa C to bring that. I believe he is gonna pick it up one of the Sprocket/Chain kits from this place:http://sprocketcenter.com have you ever done any business with them?

Regarding CycleGear...at the time I ordered the tool I did not realize they had a store here in the Raleigh area. I hope to get out that way before we leave the area come March.

Quote Originally Posted by Whosoever View Post
    Hey Zig....that is the same tool I was asking about. Based upon the positive review from others I ordered one on line for the same price. I figured if I could get one good use out of it ....it would be worth it.

Regarding the choice of chain...based up your comments I am going to go with the D.I.D. X ring chain but have to wait for Santa C to bring that. I believe he is gonna pick it up one of the Sprocket/Chain kits from this place:http://sprocketcenter.com have you ever done any business with them?

Regarding CycleGear...at the time I ordered the tool I did not realize they had a store here in the Raleigh area. I hope to get out that way before we leave the area come March.
    Pat, I've never ordered from Sprocket Center, but thanks for that link, I've got it bookmarked! Be sure and check out the local store, the Louisville store wasn't a huge store, but it was packed with goodies!

i got a cycle gear chain breaker on sale. (cheeeeep) compared to other brands.
    used it on a dr 350 chain. worked great. (chain hasn't broken yet)
    i now own three bikes with chain drive so D I Y chain care/replacement is mandantory.
    just youtube instructions and use common sense for a professional job result.
    luck

Update on my position

i just finished using the CYCLE GEAR TOOL SET on my DR350, yesterday

someone, on another forum, alerted us to a sale they were having

w/ tax & shipping, the set was about $46, to my door

WHY NOT? he said

i did grind the head off the rivets, first, as suggested above

tool worked as advertised

NOW, i'm glad to have the tool and don't wonder about just smacking the rivets

I STAND W/ CHANGED MIND

sw

sw, I agree, it's nice to have the tool instead of the caveman methods I've used in the past. At one time I was trying to hold a small bench vice in one hand and tighten with the other to rivet the link. It worked well, but I bet it would have been hilarious to watch. The last clip master link I used didn't like higher Montana highway speeds!

Pat, if you need something non-BMW specific for your bike the folks at the Suzuki dealership in Missoula were great to work with. They got me in quick, and got the master link I had with me riveted on in no time, again great folks.