Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee, gotta have it!!

Re: Coffee, gotta have it!!

the smallest you're going to get is an alcohol stove I'll take pictures of my setup this weekend packs down to just a little bit more than the size of the flask you store fuel in
    Posted via Mobile Device

2004 FLHTC 1982 FLHP 1974 CB360 1996 Kwik-Kamp
    Life Member ABATE
    Helmet Free since 1979

Quote Originally Posted by kaitiff View Post
    never seen that one, pretty cool that it's all self-contained and all.

NOPE. After reading the description that's a fail... 15 min to make that little itty bitty pot of coffee? I bought an 1800's style aluminum coffee percolator for a couple bucks and it SUCKS, but it makes coffee as fast as that thing and cost a hell of a lot less.
    FYI....It's a 10 cup pot, not a single serving.
    Scott from Central PA
    2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
    2007 Time Out
    American Voyager Association

ultra lite coleman burner+ tank, aluminum perculator, senso pods at walmart (easy cleanup) $40 sustainable amount of coffee@ reasonable price.
    2012 Limited Harley Davidson +09 Aspen classic
    ( WIFE MADE ME BUY THEM BOTH)
    The only time you can have too much fuel.............is if your on fire!

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Here's a good, cheap, compact stove and pot deal that will heat your water and you use this collapsible coffee drip with a Melita #4 coffee filter and a cup/mug of your choice, but a double walled/insulated mug/container will keep it warmer, longer!

David if you don't already have some camp cookware, I have to second Ken on this one, it's a pretty good deal and the stove is highly rated by users on there.

I've had excellent luck out of my Primus stoves. I bought the Techno Trail on sale at Sierra Trading Post online years ago and it's never failed me yet.

http://store.primuscamping.com/backp...e/technotrail/

I found an older version of this stove at a flea market that I've been wanting someone who knows more about stoves than I do to take a look at to see what it would take to convert it. It works great right now as a butane only and is very stable. I haven't used it much as it doesn't pack quite as small as the other two stoves I carry, they will both fit nested inside the smallest pot of my cookware.

http://store.primuscamping.com/backp...vity-trade-ef/

I picked up this Coleman when I found it on sale at Wally World to use as a back up when I cook larger meals and for boiling water. It's a good little stove, and even simmers almost as well as my Primus. You really can't beat it for just a tad over $20.00!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Pe...-Stove/4722923

I use an MSR Mug Mate for coffee, it works well enough once you figure out your coffee to water ratio. You will need to grind your coffee as coarse as you can get it to avoid fines in your cup. I just buy whole bean coffee and grind it with a grinder the wife found at a yard sale. I would really like to someday get a decent coffee press for times when I will be camped somewhere for a few days at a time.

http://www.rei.com/product/726094/ms...ffeetea-filter

All that being said, cuz has a Jetboil with the coffee press attachment and he loves it! The Jetboil system really is a nice setup, cuz has the larger pot to go with the normal cup and it works great, just a little out of my budget for the whole setup and a tad bulky. You will always hear of people complaining about these stoves not being stable and you can get the legs that snap on to the bottom of the butane can, but I've never had a problem so far. On the other hand I'm not a backpacker that is cooking dinner setting on a rock outcrop somewhere up on a mountain!
    Last edited by Ironheadziggy76; 10-02-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: My spelling stinks........
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Look@a jet boil with the french press lid.will boil 1 liter of h2o in 90 seconds every thing fits in the cup ,you boil,press your coffee and drink out of.we love ours take it on every trip.
    Google it or any good back packing store.i have been useing the same butane cannister for 2 seasons.

There have been numerous threads on this topic before, but there are a few of us here who use the Aeropress. I rank this one on the top of my list.
    http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm
    It really makes a great cup of coffee.
    I recently bought a french press travel mug from Starbucks because they were on sale. Nice and portable.
    I also carry a few Via packets for emergencies.
    In all three cases, you still need hot water. IMHO, and although I don't carry one, that's one of the great things about the Jetboil. One of these days...

David
    2014 Street Glide Special

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by plufmd View Post
    Look@a jet boil with the french press lid.will boil 1 liter of h2o in 90 seconds every thing fits in the cup ,you boil,press your coffee and drink out of.we love ours take it on every trip.
    Google it or any good back packing store.i have been useing the same butane cannister for 2 seasons.
    I like this idea!! How long does it take to make the coffee? I know you have to let the coffee steep for awhile.

What about the clean up??
    Last edited by dthogey; 10-02-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask something
    David Hogerheide

2015 BMW K1600GTL
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800

I like this idea!! How long does it take to make the coffee? I know you have to let the coffee steep for awhile.
    Typically, french press is about a 4 minute steep. Well worth it too.

French press= good coffee!

I use the jet boil and the aeropress. Idont like the mess of the grounds in the french press. The aeropress uses very fine grind coffee so it brews very fast, 30 seconds or so. There is also no grit in the coffee and the used grounds are ejected in a puck. The aeropress can just be wiped off or lightly rinsed to be ready to go next time. I used to use the french press and liked the coffee but I think the aeropress makes the superior brew.