Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee, gotta have it!!

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Re: Coffee, gotta have it!!

Jetboil will boil water in less than a minute. It is pretty light weight.

Amazon

They have a french press adapter for the built in cup.

I use a Melita Coffee filter system that fits right into my thermos.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Here's a good, cheap, compact stove and pot deal that will heat your water and you use this collapsible coffee drip with a Melita #4 coffee filter and a cup/mug of your choice, but a double walled/insulated mug/container will keep it warmer, longer!
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

My dad has one of those jetboil dealios just to make coffee while camping. The stove, fuel and all his additives (creamer/sweetener) and the coffee/press all fit inside the insulated mug. That's a whole lotta compact, and it makes coffee in a LOT less time than a drip, like 60 seconds to piping hot.
    I have a friend that works on the robots at Starbucks packaging plant, he gets me the freeze dried little packets (think crystal light) that you dump in water and you have instant coffee. Its pretty damn good actually and there isn't any way to get smaller or more compact. I know freeze dried coffee in the past was kinda ICK but I could drink this stuff every day, it's that good.All you'd have to do then is heat some water.

Quote Originally Posted by kaitiff View Post
    I have a friend that works on the robots at Starbucks packaging plant, he gets me the freeze dried little packets (think crystal light) that you dump in water and you have instant coffee. Its pretty damn good actually and there isn't any way to get smaller or more compact. I know freeze dried coffee in the past was kinda ICK but I could drink this stuff every day, it's that good.All you'd have to do then is heat some water.
    They are called Starbucks VIA..not freeze dried..but micro ground coffee..makes a good cup everytime! Jet Boil system is great!

Lancaster, Pa......moving to Coatesville, Pa....maybe this weekend! Waiting for settlement in GA.
    2008 GL1800-HPNA with 30,000+ miles
    1988 BunkHouse camper
    Darkside #1720

Quote Originally Posted by wingpilot96 View Post
    Lancaster, Pa......moving to Coatesville, Pa....maybe this weekend! Waiting for settlement in GA.
    Welcome to town. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Ron

1998 Goldwing/TriKing trike, 1995 Cycle Mate, 1993 Kwik Kamp
    CMA Chapter #697 On Eagles Wings

Quote Originally Posted by dthogey View Post
    What would be the easiest cleanest way to have coffee in the morning? When I take the cargo trailer it's no problem to throw the coffee maker in it but it means I have to have electricity. When I camp without the trailer I don't have room for the big coffee maker.

What would you suggest for me in order to have the coffee in the morning without electricity? Keep in mind that I don't have a single piece of cookware, stove or anything. I realize that I will have to spend a little money in order to have the java!!

I'm thinking a little stove with a percolator but that's gonna cost around a $100 or so.
    COFFEE THREADS are almost as explosive as OIL THREADS

1 - do you want a liquid fuel or canister fuel heating device(stove)?

2 - will you be happy with boiled coffee(cowboy coffee) or do you insist on drip or steeped coffee?

3 - can you tolerate instant coffee?

4 - ultra light or generic?

5 - are you wanting a device that will provide you w/ a sustainable supply or are you just trying to make it to the nearest cafe?

w/ YOUR answers to the above Q's, you can then search the BACK PACKING forums & sources for options & prices

your original thoughts on a $100 price range will get you into the game, nicely

REI, CABELA'S, SPORTSMANS WAREHOUSE, BASS PRO SHOPS, CAMPMOR, AEROSTITCH...

all good sources

i, personally, use a canister fuel stove, a titanium french press(snow peak) & a titanium mug(snow peak)

http://www.rei.com/product/708069/sn...ch-press-3-cup

http://www.rei.com/product/807754/sn...g-with-hotlips

my press nests in m mug(pics attached)

my stove, incl wind screen, fits in the palm of my hand, not incl the canister

some stoves,

http://www.rei.com/category/4500001_Stoves?version=V2

just this old man's 2 worth

have fun w/ your quest

sw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0019.jpg   IMG_0020.jpg   IMG_0021.jpg  
    Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now! steve ('08 ural gear-up, dr350, ttr230)

Quote Originally Posted by dthogey View Post
    I should have added quick and easy without a fire
    Again, there are Propane Coffee makers on the market. One bottle of gas, water and coffee. In a few minutes you have some of the worst tasting (did I mention I don't drink the crap), oh I mean best cup of coffee you've ever had.

$71.00 @ Wal~Mart
    $72.99 @ Target
    Scott from Central PA
    2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII
    2007 Time Out
    American Voyager Association

never seen that one, pretty cool that it's all self-contained and all.

NOPE. After reading the description that's a fail... 15 min to make that little itty bitty pot of coffee? I bought an 1800's style aluminum coffee percolator for a couple bucks and it SUCKS, but it makes coffee as fast as that thing and cost a hell of a lot less.

(Threadstarter)

Boy! A lot to think about. Right now the small burner and a percolator looks like the way to go for me! Thanks for all responses and info!!
    David Hogerheide

2015 BMW K1600GTL
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Again, there are Propane Coffee makers on the market. One bottle of gas, water and coffee. In a few minutes you have some of the worst tasting (did I mention I don't drink the crap), oh I mean best cup of coffee you've ever had.

$71.00 @ Wal~Mart
    $72.99 @ Target

I do like this idea, very easy and clean, it just seems too bulky to try and pack. A little burner and percolator must take up less room.