Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Coffee, gotta have it!!

Re: Coffee, gotta have it!!

I always carry a small pot to cook everything on the wood fire and it's easy for me to boil water for a cup of coffee
    All good things are wild and free...
    My website
    Best 10 person tent
    Best teepee tent

Quote Originally Posted by LarryinSeattle View Post
    With my jetboil, i can make a cup of coffee faster than you can go into the gas station, find the pre-made crap coffee, pour a cup and wait in line to pay for it. I use my Melita filter and pre ground coffee.

If I am in a real hurry, I can go into the store and ask if I can have some hot water. All coffee stations have a hot water outlet (for tea) and I use the Starbucks Via instant packet. I don't even have to wait in line to pay!

There was a review of the Jetboil on this website at:

http://www.motocampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142
    Wow 18 pages on coffee & all good stuff! I have used the Melita # 2 for many yrs now. Coffee is your choice as is how you get your hot water. At most camps I can get a cup of hot water from someone around there if I really try. I do carry a single burner liquid fuel Coleman Peak. Water to boil in about 4 minutes on high.

I have a 4 cup pot that runs off 12 volt Cigarette lighter. About $35 on Amazon and carry Folgers in a ziplock bag
    “Not all those who wander are lost.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Update: I've had my AeroPress for about a year now. I still think it is the preferred way to make coffee on the road. It packs up small and cleanup is super simple. I've added a small burr grinder to the pack or pre-grind coffee and vac pack into small pouches.

As for coffee, i've settled into Pete's Major Dickesons and Fool's Coffee - Flatpicker's Fuel. I've tried a lot of the varieties out there and most are still too bitter for me to enjoy.
    2017 Triumph Trophy SE
    Sold - 2013 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited Anniv. Ed.

Love my aeropress!

As for coffee, i've settled into Pete's Major Dickesons and Fool's Coffee - Flatpicker's Fuel. I've tried a lot of the varieties out there and most are still too bitter for me to enjoy.
    As to bitterness, it may be your method - how long do you stir the grounds once you add water? 10-15 seconds is all it takes. Longer than that and you start to get into bitter.

I pour the water in, let it steep for about 30 sec stir for a couple seconds and then press it. As for bitter, I am not a person who likes bitter things, I prefer the sweet and sometimes salty. Women included. �� So, I'm picky with my coffee choices. Or I have to add sugar which I try not to do.

I carry one of the Melitta plastic filter holders, #2 filters and usually a fine grind dark roast. I use an old enamel kettle to boil water in on my 2 burner Coleman knockoff propane stove. Water that is left over is usually the perfect temp for washing up before hitting the road. Before the tent trailer, it was just one of my small stainless steel pots to biol the water in over the little one burner. Used the same filter system then. Camping is about the only time I can tolerate black coffee but I certainly like being able to carry cream in the cooler. Getting spoiled a ltittle.

anyone try these yet? Kind of interesting...pour over cone, coffee, & milk all together. Might save some space but expensive.

https://coppercowcoffee.com/
    Deb

2008 Honda Gold Wing Trike - Champion Kit, 2011 Lees-ure Lite Excel, Harbor Freight Tag-A-Long

Try adding a couple grains of sea salt when brewing...it smooths out the coffee
    2008 GL1800-HPNA with 30,000+ miles
    1988 BunkHouse camper
    Darkside #1720

I'll give that a shot. Thanks.