Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Coffee, gotta have it!!

Re: Coffee, gotta have it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoovooloo View Post
    Of those people that use whole bean and grind their own, what brands do you use? I am waiting on an Aeropress to show up and want to shop for a few different beans to try. I never enjoyed coffee until someone served me a freshly ground and brewed cup. Until then, I always found it bitter and harsh. The pre-ground coffee like Folders actually gives me a stomach ache. Now I'm getting a little hooked on good coffee. I find myself putting less and less stuff in it and just enjoying the taste more. I've tried the French Press thing and find it a mess to clean up. I'm hoping the Aeropress is the ticket. I could run up to Starbuck's and buy some beans, but I'm sure there are some better alternatives. So, any suggestions?
    I prefer dark roast. The best whole bean dark roast I have found are Koffee Kult Dark Roast, Green Mountain Dark Magic, and Black Rifle Company Beyond Black (my favorite, Veteran owned and operated)
    Gypsy JR
    2016 Harley-Davidson Tri Glide Ultra
    2014 TimeOut Deluxe trailer
    Living the Gypsy Life... slow, lazy, happy, and don't give a damn

I guess, seeing as how this topic is still going strong after all this time, that I'll update my last post from 2013.

I'm still using those little instant coffee packets to save time, space, and cleanup. Taster's Choice back then. Folgers now, too. Whichever I find first when I'm shopping.

I've collected a few small percolators from yard sales and thrift stores over the years and I've brewed decent coffee with them at home from time to time...I normally grind my own from whole beans...but since I usually hit the road very early when I'm travelling and I don't spend a lot of time making breakfast, the instant is faster and cleanup is simply a matter of rinsing the cup.

Great coffee? Not really, but as has been previously stated here, everything is better when camping.

Another poster asked about preferred coffees. After many years as a coffee drinker, I'd have to say that good old 8 O'Clock is my favorite and is the definitive cuppa joe.

I don't do flavored coffee much...they're more of a treat. I like hazelnut, but haven't found any brands that are reliably good. However, if anyone ever gets to Berlin Ohio...stop off at the general store there. They have a nice selection of coffees and I always bring home a bag of their brown sugar broulee beans because it's just so darn good.
    I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.

I also take mine black without any sweetener. Good coffee is a real treat when camping in my opinion. Your qtn about beans HooVooLoo. I use Hills Coffee beans sold at Kroger's. I grind fully like dust and double filter in a Melita filter holder. I just boil the water and pour it thru. I also like the White Castle brand also at Kroger's. Good luck!

I've heard good things about Green Mountain. I guess a trip to the local grocery stores is in order so that I can scope out what is available and pick up some small packages of those that look interesting. I'll start with the likes of 8 o'clock, dunkin, hills and whatever else looks good and then work my way to the specialty brands.

I've not heard of Koffee Kult or Black Rifle.
    2013 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited Anniv. Ed.

Aloha!

It's funny how different coffee caffeine levels effect me, and how many of us differ with caffeine tolerance. Most of my friends tell me that they can't drink Starbuck's - especially Latte or Cappuccino because it puts them on the moon from caffeine. Me? Meh, just a touch of a jolt. Now, Tim Horton's? A small cup is all I can stand. That stuff lights my nerves up big time. Others tell me they don't get much of a jolt from Horton's.

When I was really active and competing in multisports, I used to drink Peet's "Major Dickason" whole bean. Now THAT stuff gets just about everybody that drinks it up about 10 levels of awake. I read where The US Cycling team at "Le Tour De France" used to have it flown in by the case for drinking every morning before every stage of the race. Makes sense. It's truly rocket fuel. I can't drink that stuff these days. My rocket fuel days are over.
    Moto Tent Camping since 1995 via a 1995 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my 1982 Honda GL500 Interstate Silverwing

"He Who Would Travel Happily Must Travel Light" - Antoine De St. Exupery

Around here the only decent coffee is the local coffee house and dunkin doughnuts where we can get the whole bean bags of coffee. I like high caffeine coffee, gotta order it via internet though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coffee1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	22031

Quote Originally Posted by 3SportBiker View Post
    When I was really active and competing in multisports, I used to drink Peet's "Major Dickason" whole bean. Now THAT stuff gets just about everybody that drinks it up about 10 levels of awake. I read where The US Cycling team at "Le Tour De France" used to have it flown in by the case for drinking every morning before every stage of the race. Makes sense. It's truly rocket fuel. I can't drink that stuff these days. My rocket fuel days are over.
    There is a huge coffee culture in pro road cycling and at its apex event, the TdeF. All the "lets go look inside the team buses" clips dwell on the coffee machines for some time. Segafredo, a Euro coffee brand, is a major sponsor of a major team.

One anal-retentive comment -- all the UCI Pro Tour events are competed as trade teams, not national teams. So there is no "US Cycling team" there. There are, however, several teams with US ownership (all of them very internationally manned) and several US-origin riders on various teams. I don't doubt there is some significant bean smuggling going on, and some trash talking amongst the consumers as to what makes the best cup.

Another vote for Jetboil, quick and easy.

Sophisticated people drink TEA, with their little pinky held high of course...
    2014 Ultra Limited, 2017 RAH, 2006 Kompact Kamp
    ABATE, HOG, IBMC,
    VVA, VFW, American Legion, NRA