Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Natchez Trace

Natchez Trace

Getting ready to ride the Trace. Leaving on or about 12 Sept for a week or so. Any hints would be helpful.

Re: Natchez Trace

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy1948 View Post
    Getting ready to ride the Trace. Leaving on or about 12 Sept for a week or so. Any hints would be helpful.
    Here is a hint, feel sorry for us that we don't get to go. But then ya know Harley and cat will have us to play with
    Gary

2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo - 81 Bunkhouse
    IBMC
    UMCI
    ADV

It's a nice ride!
    We rode the whole thing this spring, my hints would be:
    -Stop at the visitor centers and chat with the volunteers - they are friendly and love to talk about the history and the area, very interesting stuff.

-Be sure to stop at fall hollow waterfall in Tennessee and walk all the way to the bottom, it's very cool!

-Try the soup at Miss Hazelbea's in Collinwood, TN

-Do not speed ... period ... they take the speed limit very seriously on the parkway.

Have fun!!
    2014 Harley Ultra
    2009 Kawasaki KLX250sf
    2011 Bunkhouse

Rode it last year and it was a nice easy ride. Somewhere around Florence there is a must see hand made rock wall in memory of a young Indians girl who made the long walk and then walked back. Google it if u don't find it let me know and I'll find it but it is well worth the time. It is all hand made one rock at a time.

I found it mile marker 330 take hwy 8 east just a few miles. 8.5 million pounds of rock placed by hand for his great-great grandmother. The mans name is Tom Hendrix

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

I was planning on camping at the Meriwether Lewis campground on my back north to Cycle Moores Birthday Bash (Sept 27-29) after heading down to Hunt's in Sept, but I imagine it will be a few days after you are back home again! (18th-21th?)
    Ken - 1992 GL1500 Aspencade - Darksider
    - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Just rode it again last month. We've ridden it at least 4 times before. No commercial traffic or traffic lights; very little traffic at all; I usually don't notice speed limits but I think it was 50 mph, enforced. There's only one gas station on the entire road. You'll have to get off at exits to find gas and food. Fill up whenever you can.

I came close to a deer strike riding midday in July. It's unusual to see deer midday but it can happen; you'll probably only see a turkey or two. There's overlooks and historic places to stop at and learn the history. In Natchez (the southern end) the Pig Out Inn in downtown area is very biker friendly. Also in Lorman, MS (just off the NT) is the Old Country Store - serving buffet of fried chicken and all the homemade fixins. Yum! I think they are open 7 days a week but you may want to google them to see.

Hope you enjoy. It a very nice road in very good condition - it's like riding through a park for 400 plus miles at 50 mph. I can think of a lot worse things to have to do.

~Steph

2008 Dark Red Goldwing GL1800, level 4 - "yes, it's mine and no, you can't ride it!"
    2013 Aspen Classic Camper

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy1948 View Post
    Take your time, there is a lot to see out there and a lot of history.
    2010 Two Tone Ocean Blue & Sandstone Metallic Victory Vision
    www.LoneStarRider.com

(Threadstarter)

Smile Re: Natchez Trace

This will be our first time on the trace and we are really looking forward to the trip. Thanks for all the tips and keep them coming. They are appreciated.

Be sure to eat at the historical Loveless Cafe on Hwy 100 at the northern end of the Trace. It's 1/4 mile east of where the Trace terminates. Good food, bike parking put front. I'm lucky enough to live 10 miles off the Trace. We ride the northern 50 miles or so, almost every week, mainly to eat at the Loveless or stop at Puckett's cafe in Leipers Fork (another great spot to stop just off the Trace). Enjoy your ride.

John