Thread: Hapgood Pond Campground, Green Mountains National Forest

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Thumbs up Hapgood Pond Campground, Green Mountains National Forest

This is a nice little Gem of a campground in south western VT, managed by the Green Mountains National Forest.

This campground has 28 campsites, a beach/swimming area, a covered picnic shelter and showers at the beach,
    Each campsite has a fire ring with a grill and a picnic table. Most sites are at least partly shaded to full shade. There are vault toilets and water spigots scattered throughout the campground. My campsite (#2) was a former 'Host Site', so there was a water spigot on site.
    There is no electric, or WiFi.

Although there is a $4 fee for day use of the beach where the showers are located, when you pay your camping fee of $10/night, that includes the use of the beach and clean, modern shower facilities, which is a fairly short distance from your campsite, depending on which one you choose. There are some very nice spacious sites that will easily accommodate 2, or more parties, be they tenters, or pop up campers.

Located along a paved road near the small village of Peru, VT - which is located approx midway between Londonderry and Manchester on Route 11, there is a gas station about 2 1/2 miles from the campground that sells limited supplies, including ice.
    The road within the actual campground is well packed gravel.

Weather conditions during my 3 night visit was perfect with highs in the mid 70s and lows in the mid 50s. I did have a very heavy rainstorm move in during my 1st night that lasted all night and part of the next day that prompted flash flood alerts in the area. The campground sits at roughly 1,600' elevation.

If you find yourself in the vicinity, give this delightful little campground a try!

Hapgood Pond Campground Info: - http://www.recreation.gov/camping/Ha...ex=CampingSpot

Campground Location (Google Maps): - http://goo.gl/maps/O5MKi

Campground Fees: - $10/night

Time of Visit - July 23 > 25, 2013

ALthough I had intentions of taking some photos of the beach/showerhouse facilities, I got lazy and didn't.

Here's a few shots of my campsite # 2, which has a creek running behind it that you can hear.

Here's a shot of Mt Equinox, as seen from Route 11, near the road in towards the campground by Peru and the nearby gas station/convenience store.

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Re: Hapgood Pond Campground, Green Mountains National Forest

Very nice and not crowded.

We're headed up there Sunday for a few days, maybe ride the Adirondacks a bit. At the Shaftsbury campout we were with the group that turned left out of Mt. Equinox and rode some dirt tha ended up at Hapgood Lake. We did a lap around the campground and were impressed. I'll post pics when we get back.
    2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 - Harbor Freight Tagalong trailer

Thanks dusty for review. Did you reserve this site ahead of time or when you arrived you got that site?

just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)

I very seldom will reserve a campsite and Hapgood Pond was no exception.

I didn't arrive at the campground until 5:30 - 6pm and there were only 5 - 6 other sites taken.

Very purdy and BTW wish i was heading to the Ads!.......

Unhappy might be large photos!

I'm attempting to send these from my fone at Hapgood, since there's pretty good Verizon coverage here. I'll edit them smaller when I get home next week.

Oops couple dups. Will fix later. [edit: Dups removed.]

just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)

Looks like you are in campsite 28, Carl?

Looks like you have the same weather as us in Elmore. Great for camping. :-)

Actually 24. Alex, I don't know what you're talking about; It's been sunny and 75 all day today. ;-)
    Good cell reception from Verizon here, tho.