Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Instant Trike

(Threadstarter)

Re: Instant Trike

Thanks for all input. Thinking Wheel kits would be less exspencive to start to see if I would like.

I think the product you're after is called InstaTrike, they are made by Tow-Pac.

http://www.towpacusa.com/?page_id=1136

Quote Originally Posted by Stutz 1 View Post
    Thanks for all input. Thinking Wheel kits would be less exspencive to start to see if I would like.
    I don't think you can get a feel for a Trike by riding with a wheel kit. They are two very different things. They both have their place and adherents. Everyone I know that has had a wheel kit has gone to a trike, admittedly, that is not a great number.

You should be able to find a used kit fairly cheap which will lessen your financial exposure in case you don't like it.

Around here the dealers allow you to test ride trikes to get a feel for them. Also, you can find some good deals on trikes if you look hard and are patient and are willing to travel to get it.

I hope you can find your solution and keep riding.

(Threadstarter)

Thanks again for all imput! The Tow pack is what I was Wondering about pulling Pop up Camper. I have 2009 Bunkhouse LX. Hope someone with experience can give thoughts on this.

Go to triketalk.com you get all the info you want and some you may not want. I ride a Trike due to loss of strength as a result of cancer... thinking about selling it and going to a convertable mustang or other rag top.

A friend of ours has a voyager trike kit. If you think you'll eventually be back on two wheels an investment in a full trike may be quite a bit. The voyager kit is cheap. Just a little ugly, and be prepared for one wheel to come off the ground and the bike to lean the wrong way!

Another option might be a used GL1500 trike. I see them all the time for less than $10k. I presume you have a GL1800? You could probably sell your current goldwing, get an older trike, and have cash leftover. Then do the reverse if ever comes a time you can be back on two wheels, or trade it in for a GL1800 trike if you feel that's the route you wanna take.

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Traveler View Post
    Have alway's thought about when the time comes I might go with something like this: http://mcprw.com/ (watch the video). I think I would really miss feeling the bike leaned over in a turn. Although some of the trike technology today one Goldwings and other touring bikes is really trick and well thought out.
    I've seen those, but even in the video guys are putting their feet down because the wheels aren't down yet. What happens if you have to REALLY stop? I think that sounds like a good solution for those who get wore out holding their bike up, but I don't think it's a solution for those who physically cannot. I have YET to see one of these companies who make those (there's a couple) demonstrate it in something other than a wide opening parking lot coming to a stop at a vverryyy slow pace.

Quote Originally Posted by RomansFiveEight View Post
    I've seen those, but even in the video guys are putting their feet down because the wheels aren't down yet. What happens if you have to REALLY stop? I think that sounds like a good solution for those who get wore out holding their bike up, but I don't think it's a solution for those who physically cannot. I have YET to see one of these companies who make those (there's a couple) demonstrate it in something other than a wide opening parking lot coming to a stop at a vverryyy slow pace.
    Yea,I realize they don't come down very quickly. I was looking for one in particular, can't remember the brand but the wheels came down automatically in the blink of an eye.

In my search I found a couple others, they too do not come down in the blink of an eye.

http://www.trikealternative.com/retractatrike/

http://www.landingear.com/gl1800.php
    Keith R.
    Sun City, SoCal
    05' Honda GoldWing
    AKA ownst100 STOC 1211

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Traveler View Post
    Yea,I realize they don't come down very quickly. I was looking for one in particular, can't remember the brand but the wheels came down automatically in the blink of an eye.

In my search I found a couple others, they too do not come down in the blink of an eye.

http://www.trikealternative.com/retractatrike/

http://www.landingear.com/gl1800.php
    The Leg Up Landing Gear has a version called 'Leg Up Plus' that is faster, but they STILL only demonstrate it in a parking lot, coming sloooowwwlllllyyy to a stop. That's all fine in dandy if you're just getting a little wore out and can't handle 600 miles on a Goldwing anymore, or just don't have the strength to park it in an awkward position. But if you physically cannot hold up the bike, I just don't think I'd trust it if you need to stop hard!

If you do find the one that comes down instantly, I'd love to hear about it! I know a guy who could use some info on that. He'd be a perfect candidate for such a thing.

AND, all the systems I've seen either have to be manually lowered or manually 'armed'. Again, a scary situation if someone pulls out and you need to stop in a hurry. It can turn a close call into a dropped bike. Probably not a life or death kind of thing, but; I dunno about the OP; I'd just rather have a trike than such a system I can't trust.

EDIT: Shoot! Forget all that check out what I just found on YouTube:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9-qjT9QWEc"]Ghost Wheels from Trike Alternatives - YouTube[/ame]

That's it man! I dunno about y'all but if I was in a situation where I couldn't hold my bike up, that beats the heck out of a trike or an iffy landing gear system. Pretty cool! Little ugly though. They advertise for Harley, but near the end of the video they show it on a Wing.