Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard-Coat Anodized vs regular Aluminum

Hard-Coat Anodized vs regular Aluminum

Yep, I'm now addicted to REI.com like some of you, lol.

Looking hard at the GSI Bugaboo and Pinnacle cooware sets.

Only difference is hard-coat anodize vs not, and $30.

Worth the 30% increase in price?
    1994 Timeout
    2011 Victory Cross Roads

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Re: Hard-Coat Anodized vs regular Aluminum

I've been happy with the hard-coat, it's less likely to stick, and seems to clean up easier!
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
    I've been happy with the hard-coat, it's less likely to stick, and seems to clean up easier!
    Well both kits are Teflon coated, so I dunno if the hardcoat keeps the ouside in better shape? I know hardcoat anodize is tough stuff.

personally I only use stainless steel or cast iron
    Posted via Mobile Device

2004 FLHTC 1982 FLHP 1974 CB360 1996 Kwik-Kamp
    Life Member ABATE
    Helmet Free since 1979

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dawg View Post
    Well both kits are Teflon coated, so I dunno if the hardcoat keeps the ouside in better shape? I know hardcoat anodize is tough stuff.
    I couldn't tell ya about the outside, I've got a cheaper set from Texsport. It's pretty tough, it's probably bounced around for 15,000 miles so far.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___86839

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
    I couldn't tell ya about the outside, I've got a cheaper set from Texsport. It's pretty tough, it's probably bounced around for 15,000 miles so far.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___86839
    I like those style handles a lot better than having to share one handle like the GSI kit for sure.

Got it in my head I want a whole kit that stacks together with the mugs, plates, and bowls for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Dawg View Post
    I like those style handles a lot better than having to share one handle like the GSI kit for sure.

Got it in my head I want a whole kit that stacks together with the mugs, plates, and bowls for some reason.
    The nesting sets look to be very handy! I haven't had any problems with the handles getting hot if you make sure to not forget and let them swing back against the pot.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

I've been using the GSI Hard Anodized Double Boiler set for 10 or more years now and I would not go back to a regular aluminum cookset. Much tougher/harder pot that keeps it shape and things don't stick near as bad. Clean up is easier, too. As a rule, I don't care for teflon cookware as it usually ends up flaking off at some point.
    The regular aluminum pots are fairly easily bent out of shape, while the stainless steel ones tend to scorch a lot, making your food stick to the bottom of the pot/pan, but are darn near indestructible

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

[quote=Dusty Boots;94323]I've been using the GSI Hard Anodized Double Boiler set for 10 or more years now and I would not go back to a regular aluminum cookset. Much tougher/harder pot that keeps it shape and things don't stick near as bad. Clean up is easier, too. As a rule, I don't care for teflon cookware as it usually ends up flaking off at some point.
    The regular aluminum pots are fairly easily bent out of shape, while the stainless steel ones tend to scorch a lot, making your food stick to the bottom of the pot/pan, but are darn near indestructible

It has been discontinued according to the web site last seen August of 2008. Like the recomendation.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey View Post

It has been discontinued according to the web site last seen August of 2008. Like the recomendation.
    Yup ... GSI is constantly bringing out new cookware and dropping anything more that a couple of years old, with the exception of the Bugaboo aluminum cookset with Teflon coating . I have sure gotten my $24 worth out of that double boiler set!
    I have a set of the older GSI Bugaboos and although they cook up very well, they are quite 'delicate' compared to the Hard Anodized cookware, losing their shape fairly easily when crammed in a pack, or in tight quarters. The Teflon interior is very delicate as well and scratches very easily if you forget to use plastic utensils, or to line the bottoms of the pots with the round plastic 'cutting board' and they rub against each other in transit!
    Mine are the older blue set, like these, as I see they have updated them because on the newer set, the lids appear to be hard anodized. (?)

As I was saying, the pots made out of hard anodized aluminum (including the lid(s) are the ones to get as they are way more durable and good at keeping their shape.

They withstand the abuse I give them, packed/squished inside my saddlebags!

Dusty