Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermarest Luxury Map -- The Perfect Sleeping Pad?

Thermarest Luxury Map -- The Perfect Sleeping Pad?

Okay, this is going to sound really spoiled, but I am still looking for the perfect sleeping pad. For me, that means one that is thick, comfy and doesn’t have to be blown up or pumped up. Furthermore, I would like for there to be some insulation for those cooler nights when the ground gets really cold.
    Just for the sake of comparison, I have a Big Agnes insulated air core. In terms of packability, this one is pretty tough to beat. It gets really small (5” X 9”) but has to be blown up. I have an Instaflator that works pretty well, but still something that I’d rather not have to bring along and mess with. Additionally, I have an Exped Downmat 9, which also packs up small (6” X 9”) and is very insulated, but still requires some work to inflate.
    That brings me to the Luxury Map (still don’t really know why they call it a “Map” ). It is 3” thick, has an R-Value of 6.8 (nice and warm) and it’s SELF INFLATING! I have only spent a few nights on it so far, but I think I’m on to something.
    Oh yeah, downside is packed size (about double). I guess you can't make an insulated self-inflator that packs up as small as a BA pad. One of these days they'll make one.

David
    2014 Street Glide Special

Re: Thermarest Luxury Map -- The Perfect Sleeping Pad?

as BLOODY MARY sang, in SOUTH PACIFIC

YOU GOT TO HAVE A DREAM, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A DREAM, HOW YOU GONNA HAVE A DREAM COME TRUE(or something like that)

i have 2 THERMAREST PADS & they both need a little huffing, to get them to my liking

the XPED SYNPAD 9 LW is now my goto pad

less than 1/2 the packed size & way lighter

JMHO

sw
    Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now! steve ('08 ural gear-up, dr350, ttr230)

We purchased two of these same pads this winter to replace the God awful queen size air mattress in our timeout. Will be trying them out for a week in PA ..3rd week in June. I will post a report the first week of July.

Just bought two of the Thermarest Luxury Maps from REI while on sale. Slept on them Friday and Saturday night. They are great. They will be with me in my Aspen Classic on all future trips.

Jimmy
    Jimmy
    02 GL1800
    Panama City, FL

I use and enjoy the Luxury map myself. Its huge, hard to pack, and heavy but I'm chunky and sleep on my side. It is the single largest piece of gear I carry, and I feel its well worth the effort. Three or four good puffs and I'm all set.

Today's subliminal message is: ( )

A few of us here are using the Exped Synmat 9 and I personally like it a lot! It's a little pricey but you certainly get what you pay for with this pad. Well insulated (R6), wide, thick enough to support your hips if you're a side sleeper and very compact. It does have a self contained pump but it is easy to enflate.

Check out this link for more info..

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___91306

John
    Murfreesboro, TN, USA
    2017 Goldwing CSC Trike Belize Blue Pearl

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by 8trackmind View Post
    I use and enjoy the Luxury map myself. Its huge, hard to pack, and heavy but I'm chunky and sleep on my side. It is the single largest piece of gear I carry, and I feel its well worth the effort. Three or four good puffs and I'm all set.
    This is what I'm thinking, 8track. It'll be my largest piece of gear too, but I think it's going to be worth it. I know what you mean about the 3 or 4 puffs. I think I'll prefer that to either of my Expeds (previously a synmat; currently a downmat) but the jury is still out.

If you have a Big Agnes sleeping system you can get a memory foam pad for it now.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

I have had 4 Thermarests over the years and they were pretty good ... if you were a back sleeper.
    When I migrated to sleeping on my side, even the 2 1/2" thick Luxury LE hurt my shoulders/hips no matter how hard/soft I had it inflated.

With the 3 1/2" thick Exped Synmat 9 Pump DLX, those pains are a distant memory.

Glad the Luxury Map works well for you, David!
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

I too use the luxury map from thermarest - but i use it on top of the luxury lite cuulz bed (thread in this forum on it). yes, i take sleeping comfort seriously when camping!

that luxury map doesn't pack small, that's for sure. i might look into an exped mattress some time since they pack down so small, but i'm in no hurry. i have room on the bike for the big thermarest
    2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer - Graphite (current)
    2010 Honda NT700V - Silver (former)