I bought a HF trailer kit 3 years ago for $142 out the door with a 20% off coupon and shortly after, a friend of mine gave me a hardtop cargo carrier. Yup .... they both sat around collecting dust and getting in the way for 3 years.
After much ribbing from G wizz about when was I going to build my trailer, I finally got off my arse and started to plan it out about a month ago. My buddy Les who has a MIG Welder also had a few free days, so a week ago we started in on building it, after I collected the items I wanted to customize it with. (I still have to add some flexible white LED strip lighting to light up the interior and am waiting for another roll of red (similar to these), to add as running lights on the two 'bumperettes' on the rear)
I added a couple of small rear bumpers with rubber end caps so I can stand it up on end in the garage to save space and make room for my bike.
While it's not quite done yet, it is road ready and I hauled it around a bit tonight and it pulls great.
Here's a few shots of the build ...
This is my Buddy Les, as we're laying it out in prep for cutting and welding the frame rails and axle
Instead of cutting out a piece of the axle and then welding it back together, George gave me the idea to grind off the welds on the stub axle and remove it 1st and then cut the needed amount off of the one end of the axle and then re-weld the stub axle back in place, which we did.
Here we are getting ready to set the stub axle back in place to re-weld it
I wanted to make sure the tongue was long enough so I wouldn't get any sway from too short a tongue, so I moved it up to the 1st cross member of the frame and used some bed frames to weld to the outside of the tongue and ran those back, welding and bolting them to the other cross members.
Next came fabricating some mounts for the plastic fenders I picked up for $18/pair.
Next we welded up a cooler rack, added the stabilizer jack I got for $16.95, from etrailer.com and I installed a better trailer coupler since I didn't care for/trust the one that comes with the trailer after playing around with it and seeing how it fit my ball.
Next came the fabrication of the two rear 'Bumperettes'
I got Les to weld the nuts for the end cap bolts on the back side of the 3" flat bar, so they would be hidden inside the square tubing to be welded on the the flat bar and the trailer's rear frame cross member.
Next came a test fit and then welding on the Bumperettes.
Sharp eyes will note that I decided to cut off the rear portion of the tongue extensions, to facilitate fitting my wiring junction box to the rear cross member. You can also see the spare tire mount we welded on to the tongue extension, ahead of the axle and that we ran the leaf springs (removed the shorter helper spring) under the axle to lower the trailer's centre of gravity.
Ok, done with the welding, so I loaded it up in my van to finish it off at home
Once at home, I ground down the welds and sprayed the frame a primer coat of flat black. Then George gave me the suggestion to add a couple of coats of spray on truck bed liner to help prevent rock chips/rust. Good advice there Georgie, as I really liked the results!
Next came mounting the cargo box and adding some lights. I rolled it outside to see what it looked like with my cooler on the rack
I got a large piece of 1" thick closed cell foam for $9 to line the bottom with and added some anchor points to the bottom of the box.
Now, to add some running lights and a set of Slimeline LED lights in the lid and wire the whole thing up!
It all gets run back into the juction box where it all gets hooked up
and this is how it sits as of tonight, although I still have more lighting to add to it.
In my garage ....
Like I said, I had it out for a brief test ride tonight and took it up to 120 kph/75 mph and despite it being empty, it pulled great!
I can see this little puppy going places!