Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tire Balancing.

Re: Tire Balancing.

Best source of Darkside info relating to GL1800 (IMHO) is here:
    http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forum...arkside-Riders

FYI, I just changed out my Kumho Ecsta run flat for the Michelin Alpin, which at first short ride seems to be a big improvement. Kumho handle fine, but the Alpin promises to be GREAT!

I also went double dark with a BT45 rear on the front.

As far as balancing, although many aren't willing to spend the money, I use CentraMatic wheel balancers:

http://wingstuff.com/products/29204-centramatic-gold-wing-stainless-steel-wheel-balancers?context=centramatic

I don't carry tire plugs, but I do bring a small compressor on trips. For flat prevention from punctures I use either Ride-On: http://www.ride-on.com/ or AmerSeal, available at NAPA stores or Amazon. After using both and inspecting used up tires, IMHO the AmerSeal seems to hold up better and it's cheaper than Ride-On.
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing

ozarks hillbilly

I quit balancing tires on my bikes years ago.... never noticed any differience, but things may change when going darkside. If the tire has a dot on the sidewall (usually yellow or red) line that dot up with the valve stem and you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by boulevardtalonman View Post
    I quit balancing tires on my bikes years ago.... never noticed any differience, but things may change when going darkside. If the tire has a dot on the sidewall (usually yellow or red) line that dot up with the valve stem and you should be good to go.
    I always got that mixed up, whether the dot was placed on the light or heavy side of the tire.

Way back when, I put some continentals on my 77 XS750D Yamaha and one of the tires (front I think) dribbled like a basketball. Other than that, no issues with unbalanced tires that I recall. I've tried to balance tires/wheels with Mark Parnes balancer, but got no joy. And those lead weights didn't stick on the wheel very well anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bvail View Post
    I always got that mixed up, whether the dot was placed on the light or heavy side of the tire. And those lead weights didn't stick on the wheel very well anyway.
    Dot = Light side ...
    If the wheel is properly cleaned first, the wheel weights will stay put ...

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by bvail View Post
    I've tried to balance tires/wheels with Mark Parnes balancer, but got no joy. And those lead weights didn't stick on the wheel very well anyway.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    I started to mount and balance my own tires a few years ago. I went "halfs" on a cyclehill set up with my ridding buddy. I've never lost a stick on wheel weight... I have not purchased any, but I understand that the steel weights don't work as well as the lead. They're not as dense and not at all flexible. I did purchase 720 of the 1/4 oz stick on weights, 60 strips of 12 each, before they get too hard to find.... Here's my set up. The mount/dismount bar is just resting on the wheel for the photo... It does not touch the rotors or sprocket in real use.

Also, some of the tire manufacturers do not mark the light spot of the tires anymore, just an fyi.

A couple of things I've learned are, lube is your friend, if it's not going easy, you're doing it wrong, and if the tire seems to be taking a lot of weight to balance it, let the air out, break the bead, rotate the tire 90 or 180 degrees and try again!

Nice set up. Thank you.
    Gary

Darkside # 751
    May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
    2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Very similar set up to mine, except I have the HF changer and truing/balancing stand.
    Lube and laying your tire to be installed out in direct sunlight on a warm day does indeed make it easier.

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

HarleyJack

interesting thread here as I been considering dyna beads or ride on

ride on at $45 for three eight ounce bottles every tire change kinda stinks

I know of one case where amerseal failed or the tire compound was messed up

Metz 880's , instead of looking snotty at ther tire change it was obvious from the black mixture that the tire and the amerseal had reacted to one another in some way and the tire compound was mixed with the sealant ..

Guy didnt know the lot number of the amerseal , and had run 880's in the past , so its not certain which one of the two was the issue , as he didnt know if metz had changed their tire compounds
    2011 Harley Road Glide Ultra

Centramatax is the way to go. Been with the beads. Guess they are ok. But for accurate balancing all the time... centramatax(sic)

I used them on my last set of tires on my concourse,got great mileage on the rear 2oz in back tire and the front hard to tell,1st front 1100 miles and shredded it,2nd front 3k and tore out side wall,3rd tire has 3k and starting to cup but noticed after pulling front tire off left the wheel weight on and used the beads,but the previous owner had the setting on the forks way off on one side,hope for better mileage this time.