Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tire Balancing.

Re: Tire Balancing.

Quote Originally Posted by snowclem View Post
    Ken,
    I had a Dunlop Wintersport on the old wing. It according to the specs was only .3" shorter than the 195x55 kumho, that I had used before. According to my speedo/garmin comparisons, it wasn't anymore than that.

Luis,

I'm not aware of any runflats available anymore in that size. Have you decided to not use a RF?

Richard
    I told him of a Goodyear. That is what I have on and it is great.

The size is perfect.
    Gary

Darkside # 751
    May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
    2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer

Here is a good reference for tire size comparison

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

Put 180/60/16 in as the original tire on bike.
    Then put 175/60/16 new tire. Size is the same.
    Gary

Gary,

My point is, that the new Wintersport in the 175 size, isn't a runflat. The one I had on the other bike WAS a runflat. I just bought a tire for the new wing. I bought the Michelin alpin in a 195x55, because I couldn't get a runflat in the 175 size anymore. Luis is new to this. I just wanted to be sure that he knew that the 175 wasn't a runflat. I won't run a ct that's not a rf. Others can make their own call about that. I was just trying to make sure Luis knew what he was doing. If you don't mind me saying, I don't think that you should run a non-runflat either.

Richard

(Threadstarter)

Ken,
    I had a Dunlop Wintersport on the old wing. It according to the specs was only .3" shorter than the 195x55 kumho, that I had used before. According to my speedo/garmin comparisons, it wasn't anymore than that.

Luis,

I'm not aware of any runflats available anymore in that size. Have you decided to not use a RF?

Richard

Run flat is not an issue I just don't want the bike to be lower so I want to make sure I get the right profile size.

Luis

2006-2011 HD Sportster 1200L
    2011-Present Honda GoldWing GL1800

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

What Richard is trying to say is that a run flat tire will have stiffer sidewalls, compared to a conventional, non run flat tire, Luis.
    That IMHO, is a very important point, as a conventional CT has weak sidewalls (2, or at best 4 ply) compared to a Moto tire and will flex too much, like the back end wants to come around on you. (bad)
    That's what I did not like about the 175/60-16 Federal I had on mine.
    The taller Austone is 6 ply, with stiffer sidewalls and the sidewall flex is vastly reduced, a lot more like a Moto tire in that respect. Otherwise, I'd probably would have switched back to a Moto tire.
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Luis,

The difference between you and I, and Ken's situation, is we have a wider wheel than Ken does. His tire choices are limited by a narrow wheel. The 1800 wheel is wider and therefore has many tires to choose from. I am curious though. Why do you feel that you don't need a rf?

Richard

I have used a 185/55/16, and a 195/55/16 and 225/55/16 and a 175/60/16. I by far like the 175 the best. I have put 25000 on a 185 and like it too. But by far 175 is the best for me. Richard I don't think you will like the 195. We will see at the chill out. It was you who told me about the 175.
    Luis you will like the 175 too. But next time try a different size, or a run flat.
    Richard what kind did you get.
    Gary

P.S. don't forget to get a darkside number. I am 751. What number are you Richard? Ken?.

(Threadstarter)

Luis,

The difference between you and I, and Ken's situation, is we have a wider wheel than Ken does. His tire choices are limited by a narrow wheel. The 1800 wheel is wider and therefore has many tires to choose from. I am curious though. Why do you feel that you don't need a rf?

Richard
    Like i said before i'm new to this threads about The Darkside aka " CT " so i'm just listening to everybody that has experience with it. I average 10k to 13k miles a year and yes I hate to be shopping for new tire every 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post
    Like i said before i'm new to this threads about The Darkside aka " CT " so i'm just listening to everybody that has experience with it. I average 10k to 13k miles a year and yes I hate to be shopping for new tire every 12 months.
    Well you will not have the noise of a bike tire after 4000 either.
    Gary

Luis, this is primarily for you, but maybe it will help others too. The following is MY opinion. I am not advocating anyone do anything that I'm doing w/o first giving careful consideration to all of the factors involved and making an educated choice for yourself.
    As I've said before. I've got more than 80k miles on car tires. All of those miles have been on runflat style tires. I only chose to try car tires because they are available as run flats. I feel that on my chosen stead, the Gold Wing GL1800, that the limited lean angles available and the weight of the bike, make it a difficult bike for the current technology available in moto tires. I believe, that the increased load capacity combined with runflat technology available in car tires, make for a safer tire for my bike. There are additional advantages to the car tire in my opinion, but they had nothing to do with my choice in the first place. If I couldn't find a runflat that fit the wing, I would go back to the Dunlop E3s, because they have the highest load capacity and not by coincidence, the strongest sidewall.
    Gary, before I used the Dunlop wintersport 175x60, I put 25k miles on a Kumho 195x55. At the time the wintersport was available as a runflat. That is no longer true, so I will be wearing out a Michelin 195x55 Alpin runflat. I liked the wintersport because it handled more like a moto tire than the Kumho did, but as I said, handling isn't my 1st priorty. Besides, the small difference in handling characteristics goes away in your muscle memory very quickly. I have no problem with anyone's choice of tire. This is the logic that I used in making my choice. That's all.

Richard