Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unleaded Gas in the camp stove

Re: Unleaded Gas in the camp stove

Quote Originally Posted by catskinner09 View Post
    Does anyone actually use unleaded gas out of their bikes as fuel for the camp stove? I got several stoves that say it is possible and I have read threads where it is mentioned as possible. As far as I can tell the differences are Coleman camp fuel is 50 to 55 octance with no additives and the fuel I run is 93 to 95 octane with additives to keep the valves clean. What about taste in the food or does it burn hotter?
    I use unleaded fuel in my Coleman 533 all the time. It works great,burns clean & hot,however I do use 90 octane non-ethynol gas. I carry a one gallon can with me,emergency fuel for bike & stove use.

I occasionally use pump gas in my MSR and Coleman dual fuel stoves. It doesn't burn quite as clean as regular Coleman fuel due to the alcohol and other additives. You shouldn't use any liquid fuel stove without proper ventilation. Pump gas byproducts are more toxic than using Coleman fuel. No more than I use in a summer I prefer using the Coleman because it is less prone to leaving soot on the bottom of my pots and pans and a plus it contains additives that prevent rust and corrosion in your appliances. I use pump gas when I don't bring enough Coleman fuel with no ill effects on any of my stoves that are rated for being multi-fuel.
    We ride because we can .... Victory Hammer with Trans Moto Sidecar, Kompact Kamp Mini Mate

Why are the manufacturers of these stoves not required to place a warning of some sort on their equipment if there is a danger to the user when gasoline is used? Shouldn't there be some sort of liability there with no warning? Curious.

Quote Originally Posted by mailman01 View Post
    Why are the manufacturers of these stoves not required to place a warning of some sort on their equipment if there is a danger to the user when gasoline is used? Shouldn't there be some sort of liability there with no warning? Curious.
    They do tell you not to use them without proper ventilation and not to use them indoors.

We use to use Amoco Premium gas in stoves and lamps. It was clear and what they call white gas. Of course we try to use it in everything when we could afford it.

"White gas" was just unleaded gasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by SLK50 View Post
    "White gas" was just unleaded gasoline.
    The term "white gas" is a common name for different flammable substances. When the term is used in a camping application, it isn't being used to refer to unleaded fuel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gas
    2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 1993 HD FatBoy
    2014 Aspen Sentry
    2001 Bushtec Turbo-II

Except we were discussing Amoco products
    which were most certainly unleaded gas.
    Fuel for camping applications is typically naphtha
    and while often referred to as white gas, the
    implication is that it has none of the additives
    commonly found in gasoline.

Unleaded regular or premium gasoline. Is there any other kind?

Premium or regular in your Coleman stove? Has anyone noticed any pinging or knocking gas stoves in the old camp ground?

Since I don't cook, all this is moot for me, but I do carry a single burner stove that screws into the non-firebomb 1 lb. propane bottle. I carry two bottles, even though I rarely use it. My main heat source is my great little JetBoil stove.

We do have a source for 100% gasoline about 20 miles away. I buy it for my lawn mower and other yard stuff. Well worth the trip. No more vapor lock or bad gas lines or seals. Why? No Kornahol.

Again, where is this leaded Ethyl gasoline? Unobtainium except maybe airports - don't know. Think they should scrub the term 'unleaded'.

JMHO

p.s. Warning labels on a stove. Just about anything we come into contact with is loaded with idiot/lawyer warning labels. Anyone out there leave all the yellow warning labels on their brand new motorcycle? OK, so that is tongue in cheek
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing