Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oak Mountain State Park, Birmingham, AL

Oak Mountain State Park, Birmingham, AL

This park is one of Alabama's most popular and I'm sure if you're using a camper it has very good amenities. Tent camping on a motorcycle leaves something to be desired.

The Shower facilities were clean and heated but could use some upgrading.

Both trips to this park the sites I was assigned required parking the bike at some distance from the campsite. For some people this would be a worrisome security issue.

The campsites were level and comfortable with the standard picnic table and fire ring.

Deadfall was available in the nearby woods for a good campfire.

The low rating for the Staff attitude is caused by the Alabama policy of only one tent per campsite unless the campers are relatives. I believe this to be a harsh policy when dealing with motocampers.

Both visits I've made to this campground it proved to be a fairly quiet place.

This site has an additional attraction, it is the closest State Park to Barber Motorsports Museum and Racetrack, see attached pics.

Website for Barber Motorsports: http://www.barbermotorsports.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coleman Tent.jpg   Museum-View-1.jpg   Track-View-1.jpg   Track-View-2.jpg  
    Last edited by Mellow; 01-31-2008 at 07:07 PM.
    Gordon

Re: Oak Mountain State Park, Birmingham, AL

The low rating for the Staff attitude is caused by the Alabama policy of only one tent per campsite unless the campers are relatives. I believe this to be a harsh policy when dealing with motocampers.
    That's just wrong.

Good review.
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”

I didn't do any ratings because I've never camped there, although a buddy and I played golf several times on their golf course several years ago. It seemed like a nice park!
    BillF
    Palm Coast, FL

2006 ST1300 ABS
    STOC #6311

bobado

hi
    next time your in this area try cheaha state park . its a little farther
    away but is must nicer imo . haven't tried 29 dreams motorcycle campground
    but is also hear by .
    thx bob

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by bobado View Post
    hi
    next time your in this area try cheaha state park . its a little farther
    away but is must nicer imo . haven't tried 29 dreams motorcycle campground
    but is also hear by .
    thx bob
    Thanks for the info Bob,

I've stayed at Mt Cheaha several times and you're right I like it better than Oak Mountain.

For your info the last I heard 29 dreams had closed it's campground.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    Thanks for the info Bob,

I've stayed at Mt Cheaha several times and you're right I like it better than Oak Mountain.

For your info the last I heard 29 dreams had closed it's campground.

A friend in the area tells me that 29 dreams is only open on Fri, Sat and Sunday now.....seems a little odd.

Arent the yall relatives in Al.

29Dreams......closed permanently now. Gone under, as so many other moto establishments have. No signs on the fence from the bank "For Sale".....????

Update Spring 2012: Re-opened as "Courtyard 25".........doing fine now......good crowds, some improvements are happening.......

HarleyJack

We went to Oak Mtn this past Saturday .. We like to look the place over if it is close by and we have never been there .. It's only about an hour north of us .. Beautiful Saturday ride , got there , paid the six bux to enter , rode to the campground , and asked if we could go ride through and look at the campsites ..

"Oh this is a really busy weekend , no one is allowed in except registered campers" the lady said very rudely ..

Got back home and immediately emailed the alapark website of what I just told you here , with the added line of :

"I suppose the rudeness of the staff , that I had been told of , is true , and we wont be back"

it was an email form from their website so it ended up being anonymous , if I had thought , I would have sent it from my email , so I could have possibly gotten a reply .. I may still do that .

About a year ago I heard 29 Dreams was re opened , and said I was going to ride up and see , but I havent yet ..

JtB

SCRC Ch. 183 N. Atlanta quadancer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    This park is one of Alabama's most popular
    That usually means "overcrowded" or "RV park".

The Shower facilities were clean and heated but could use some upgrading.
    Rarely need 'em - rubbing alcohol and shammies.
    Both trips to this park the sites I was assigned required parking the bike at some distance from the campsite. For some people this would be a worrisome security issue.
    Ya RECKON?
    The campsites were level and comfortable with the standard picnic table and fire ring.
    Minimal expectancy.
    Deadfall was available in the nearby woods for a good campfire.
    Always a plus.
    Unacceptable. Period.
    Both visits I've made to this campground it proved to be a fairly quiet place.
    Okay, TWO plusses.
    This site has an additional attraction, it is the closest State Park to Barber Motorsports Museum and Racetrack, see attached pics.

Website for Barber Motorsports: http://www.barbermotorsports.com/
    Nope. Thanx for the warnin'! Try Desoto Park. Too many rangers, but great primitive sites.
    If'n ya boards ain't a-sparkin',
    then you is just a-parkin'!

DARKSIDE RULES!