Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slumberjack 4 Person Trail Tent

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Re: Slumberjack 4 Person Trail Tent

I am so impressed with this tent that I bought the Slumberjack 2 man tent for any solo trips. It sits on the shelf, not used at this point but I did set it up to see how it is made.

I hope it works out for you.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650 mcrider1959's Avatar

Guys, I set the new tent up in the front yard a few days ago and I thought maybe they forgot something when making the tent fly.
    I thought it was odd that there were no loops on the bottom edge of the fly to hold away and off the sides of the main tent body. I took a look at the pictures on the box it came in and then watched a Youtube video on the Trail Tent 4. Sure enough no loops! Every tent I have owned, has loops to pull the fly away from the main body. This helps with ventilation and I don't think it is good to have the fly laying on the mesh of the main tent body when it's raining. So I found some strap webbing out in the garage and had 2 loops sewn onto the fly. Much better now. IMHO Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trail tent 4 004.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	525.7 KB 
ID:	16952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trail tent 4 005.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	538.3 KB 
ID:	16948Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trail tent 4 003.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	541.2 KB 
ID:	16949

Another thing I was concerned about was the fiberglass poles, as I had read a few reviews were the owners stated that the poles had broken during use. Now this could be caused by not having the poles properly seated together correctly, which would be the operator error or high winds and rain could be the cause. Either way after giving it some thought, I figured I should be prepared just in case. Back to the garage I go. I found some some tubing laying the scrap metal bin, cut the tubing in half length way and added some small hose clamps. Now I have a couple of emergency tent poles splints. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trail tent 4 007.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	502.7 KB 
ID:	16951

All in all, I feel that this is a well made tent and it passed the garden hose test for leaks. I am pleased with the purchase. The girlfriend and I will be using it this next week while on vacation, so it will see about 7 nights of use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails trail tent 4 006.jpg  

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650/2006 KLX250S

[QUOTE=mcrider1959;143908]Guys, I set the new tent up in the front yard a few days ago and I thought maybe they forgot something when making the tent fly.
    I thought it was odd that there were no loops on the bottom edge of the fly to hold away and off the sides of the main tent body. I took a look at the pictures on the box it came in and then watched a Youtube video on the Trail Tent 4. Sure enough no loops! Every tent I have owned, has loops to pull the fly away from the main body. This helps with ventilation and I don't think it is good to have the fly laying on the mesh of the main tent body when it's raining. So I found some strap webbing out in the garage and had 2 loops sewn onto the fly. Much better now. IMHO Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trail tent 4 004.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	525.7 KB 
ID:	16952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trail tent 4 005.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	538.3 KB 
ID:	16948Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trail tent 4 003.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	541.2 KB 
ID:	16949

Mine never lays against the mesh as there are velcro straps to hold the rain fly onto the poles. I do think your adding the extra tab on the side is a good idea, as the rain fly does cover almost down to the ground, which limits the ventilation. I use a rock and a small para-cord to pull the rain fly away a little, such as your tab does.

40 nights or more and no problems with the poles. I did contact Slumberjack regarding the poles and replacements are available for $10 plus shipping, or they will repair yours for free.

You have to have been an Eagle Scout, always prepared!

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650 mcrider1959's Avatar

LOL Hey LarryinSeattle!!
    I never was in the boy scouts but, I did grow up on a small farm. We were dirt poor so you had to learn how to fix things with baling wire, duct tape and a big hammer! Cause something was always breaking down!

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by mcrider1959 View Post
    Guys, I set the new tent up in the front yard a few days ago and I thought maybe they forgot something when making the tent fly.
    I thought it was odd that there were no loops on the bottom edge of the fly to hold away and off the sides of the main tent body. I took a look at the pictures on the box it came in and then watched a Youtube video on the Trail Tent 4. Sure enough no loops! Every tent I have owned, has loops to pull the fly away from the main body. This helps with ventilation and I don't think it is good to have the fly laying on the mesh of the main tent body when it's raining. So I found some strap webbing out in the garage and had 2 loops sewn onto the fly. Much better now. IMHO

Another thing I was concerned about was the fiberglass poles, as I had read a few reviews were the owners stated that the poles had broken during use. Now this could be caused by not having the poles properly seated together correctly, which would be the operator error or high winds and rain could be the cause. Either way after giving it some thought, I figured I should be prepared just in case. Back to the garage I go. I found some some tubing laying the scrap metal bin, cut the tubing in half length way and added some small hose clamps. Now I have a couple of emergency tent poles splints.

All in all, I feel that this is a well made tent and it passed the garden hose test for leaks. I am pleased with the purchase. The girlfriend and I will be using it this next week while on vacation, so it will see about 7 nights of use.
    I hope you enjoy it! Great idea on the fly loops. I have not had an issue with it, but I might have to give it a try to see if it makes a difference.

BTW - even though I am still using the fiberglass poles, there's a place for DYIers - Quest Outfitters - that has aluminum tent pole parts (link here) that I'll have to give a try.

Then again, if it ain't broke....
    KevinL
    Proud Parent of a US Marine
    1986 Aspencade W/Motorvation Formula II and Ozzie the Aussie
    1995 Voyager XII, 2010 Aspen Classic

Slumberjack 4 Person Trail Tent

EMS makes some awesome stuff. they are expensive but i have had the same 3 person tent since boy scouts.

coleman makes a good product and much better priced. my oldest son uses the same tent i used prior to buying an EMS one

I threw the bag that this tent came in away. I now use a compression stuff sack. The first thing that goes into the bag is the rain fly, then the tent and last is the ground cover. It compresses nicely into the compression bag. The poles are kept separately. My set up time is now about 5 minutes on this tent, staking optional lol.