Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel Micro-Airstream

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

Re: Stainless Steel Micro-Airstream

Quote Originally Posted by quadancer View Post
    I love it; always thought Airstreams were cool; how much cooler with a mini?
    I think your fuel mileage will really tank on you though, compared to a popup or a teardrop. What are you estimating for weight, disregarding the wind front of the Air-That-Does-Not-Stream so well.
    Are you planning to sacrifice some headroom for overhead storage?
    I REALLY wonder how you are going to make the four upper corners of the shell.
    I noticed you Europe map good job where did you find it. I traveled Europe while in the Army

2014 Ultra Classic Limited
    www.mrclean28.smugmug.com
    U.S. Army Retired

SCRC Ch. 183 N. Atlanta quadancer's Avatar

Huh? Not me. Lived 4 years in Germany as a kid (Air Force Brat) but never rode a bike there.
    If'n ya boards ain't a-sparkin',
    then you is just a-parkin'!

DARKSIDE RULES!

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

Huh? Not me. Lived 4 years in Germany as a kid (Air Force Brat) but never rode a bike there.
    I lived in Cuba and Taiwan as a kid did Korea and Germany as a adult then with kids too

Pan European
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    WOW! I'm digging the suspention with the shocks on your trailer ...

They don't make things like that on this side of the pond ...

G
    It's special made for me in this way.
    So narrow axles you cannot buy in Germany.
    But if I have to pay the price for a prototype, then I will pick all the options to get the perfect matching of my requirements.

Tom
    36 years bike adventure - Malaguti Ronco 40 - Zündapp Super Combinette - Fantic 50 Trial - Yamaha XV 750 SE - Moto Guzzi V7 850 GT - Yamaha SR-X6 - Honda ST 1100 (1994) - ST 1100 (2001) and now a Honda GL 1800 (2001) plus a Moto Guzzi V35 (1981) - 375,000 kilometers fun

Pan European
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by hogasm View Post
    I would love to see a frontal picture of the shock set up

Pan European
    (Threadstarter)

I love it; always thought Airstreams were cool; how much cooler with a mini?
    I think your fuel mileage will really tank on you though, compared to a popup or a teardrop. What are you estimating for weight, disregarding the wind front of the Air-That-Does-Not-Stream so well.
    Are you planning to sacrifice some headroom for overhead storage?
    I REALLY wonder how you are going to make the four upper corners of the shell.
    1. The Honda consumes 5.5 liters every 100 km if I travel with 100 to 130 km/h.
    The trailer will be not wider and higher than the bike and my speed will be lower, between 80 and 100 km/h. I will need a little more gas.

2. The chassis weighs 44 kg including the wheels.
    The frame with the treadplate upon about 15 kg.
    The body will have about 45 kg. So I have 105 kg (231 lb).
    Tow limit is 190 kg, that leaves me a bit for bed, matress, shelves and baggage.

3. Storage will be below the bed in the front and a small shelf in the front roof.

4. Roof corners!
    Every day I walk on the surface of a sphere !

Take a earth water ball with 60 cm diameter, the lines are printed on.
    Cut it from the north pole through Greenwich to the equator, then eastward 90 degrees and then up through China and Russia back to the north pole.
    Leave the north pole as connection, but cut every 15 degrees from equator to the ice cap. So you get six panels
    Lay it on a sheet of aluminum and sign the outer lines, give 20 mm for riveting only to the western borders.
    Thats it !

Using a table of longitude and latitude I drew one of my roof corner panels on paper, so I can transfer it six times to an aluminum sheet.

Six of that panels should build a perfect quarter of a hemisphere. only for the apexes I have to find a better solution.
    Possibly I should cut the apexes and place a small quarter circle on top of that corner.

If someone is present at the teardrop and tiny trailer forum, there you can follow my building blog, too.
    http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54344

Tom

Looks like a lot of planning has gone into this trailer.

This will be one to watch!
    Brian
    US Navy retired 1983-2003
    If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

SCRC Ch. 183 N. Atlanta quadancer's Avatar

Lot of cutting and riveting for the corners, but fascinating. And here I thought you were going to use an English Wheel and one piece of metal!
    Come to think of it, your apex patch could be wheeled into shape, OR cut from a stainless steel bowl with an angle grinder. Large enough bowl - say a Wok - and you might be able to fashion the whole corner in one piece from 1/4 of a bowl.
    Just thinking out loud here.

Tom,

I agree. Interesting project. I like the idea of a round patch for the top of your 3d arch, but instead of using 6 pcs per corner have you considered 3? It makes the problem seem more doable to me. Also, your numbers for total weight and tongue weight are out of formula. You'll need at least 10% of your total weight on the tongue to tow a single axle trailer properly. This is a very cool project.

Richard

Pan European
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by snowclem View Post
    Tom,

I agree. Interesting project. I like the idea of a round patch for the top of your 3d arch, but instead of using 6 pcs per corner have you considered 3? It makes the problem seem more doable to me. Also, your numbers for total weight and tongue weight are out of formula. You'll need at least 10% of your total weight on the tongue to tow a single axle trailer properly. This is a very cool project.

Richard
    Hi Richard - Thank you !

I think six panels look more airstream-like and the work is the fun !
    The trailers maximum weight is 190 kg behind my Honda.
    The tongue alone weighs 10 kg and 25 kg is my max tow ball weight.
    With matress and baggage in the front I will sure have enough weight on my ball.

With my Eriba Trailer behind my car I prefer 70 kg than the 50 kg approved.
    In France, where I travelled last summer it's allowed to go 130 km/h (80 mph) with a Wohnwagen.
    A heavy tongue is there the best for safe travelling ! We made 1000 kilometers in one day on our way back to Germany.