Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Stainless Steel Micro-Airstream

Stainless Steel Micro-Airstream

Hello again,

This winter I attached a hitch to my Honda ST 1100 motorbike and now I want to build a 3.3 x 6.6 foot Micro-Airstream to pull it behind my bike.
    The german technical commission (TÜV) allows me to tow 190 kg (418 lb) behind my Honda and I hope to meet 300 lb with my tiny Airstream.

I like the polished look of the Airstreams, but I don't want to polish my can twice a year.
    So stainless steel will be the best for me, but 7.3 square meters will cost about 440 Euros in 0.6 mm thickness.

The ground frame will be 40 x 40 x 2 mm rectangular aluminum tubes, which will be welded together by a company for me.
    The body should be removable and fixed at only four points to the ground frame. So its only cargo and not a vehicle.
    We have strong regulations in Germany for additional lighting and plexiglass windows used in vehicles.
    But if the can is only transported as a box on a platform trailer, I'm free in design, material and lighting.

The floor will be one big sheet of 2 m x 1 m x 1.5 mm aluminum treadplate.
    The wall frame I will build from 20 x 20 x 1.5 mm rectangular aluminum tubing.
    And the curved roof and corner frames will be from 15 x 15 x 1 mm rectangular aluminum tubes, wich I can bend by myself over a pattern.

The stainless skin I will fix with 4mm waterproof rivets to the frame. The biggest problem I fear are the four 3-D roof corners with one foot radius.
    I have to test it with a sheet of paper, then aluminum to find a cutting pattern that will work at the end for the stainless steel too.

Tom from Bavaria
    36 years bike adventure - Malaguti Ronco 40 - Zündapp Super Combinette - Fantic 50 Trial - Yamaha XV 750 SE - Moto Guzzi V7 850 GT - Yamaha SR-X6 - Honda ST 1100 (1994) - ST 1100 (2001) and now a Honda GL 1800 (2001) plus a Moto Guzzi V35 (1981) - 375,000 kilometers fun

Pan European
    (Threadstarter)

Re: Stainless Steel Micro-Airstream

I ordered a torsion axle 890 mm wide with dampers, the tongue 1250 mm long.

Including the small 4 x 8 '' wheels the trailer will be 990 mm wide. 1.00 m ist the german limit for trailers behind bikes.

Pan European
    (Threadstarter)

Here my plan for the 40 x 40 mm aluminum frame in blue, all dimensions in millimeters.

Tom from Bavaria

Pan European
    (Threadstarter)

This is my towing vehicle for my Micro-Airstream, a 1994 Honda ST 1100 Pan European, the most reliable bike in the world.
    Till now it's run 135,000 kilometers without any problem.

98 hp, 317 kg empty, 517 kg max. weight, antilock braking and traction control system and 190 kg max. trailer weight and 25 kg tongue weight limit.

Pan European
    (Threadstarter)

Okay, here you can see the first sideview plan (all dimensions in millimeters)

The blue framed panel in the middle of the picture will be a 140 cm wide door opening up and maybe later replaced by a slideout.
    The door to get inside is at the backside.

The height of the body and the side door is not yet defined, because I have to know first, how much space remains above the wheels.
    To get the single bed as wide as possible, the plywood panel will be set directly above the wheel houses.

Pan European
    (Threadstarter)

The view from the rear:

The slideout at the right side is an option for later. First there will be a 140 cm wide door opening up like an awning.
    The left wall is closed and will get a fixed window, possibly a windscreen or rear window of a Citroen 2CV or plexiglass.

The door to enter the box at the backside will get a small window like the front end.

Pan European
    (Threadstarter)

Okay - reaching the first milestone !

Today my chassis arrived and I assembled it in my living room !

Outside it's snowy and muddy !

Now time to go to bed. I've a bad cold !

Good night - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by st1100 View Post
    101966[/img]
    WOW! I'm digging the suspention with the shocks on your trailer ...

They don't make things like that on this side of the pond ...

G

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

I would love to see a frontal picture of the shock set up

SCRC Ch. 183 N. Atlanta quadancer's Avatar

I love it; always thought Airstreams were cool; how much cooler with a mini?
    I think your fuel mileage will really tank on you though, compared to a popup or a teardrop. What are you estimating for weight, disregarding the wind front of the Air-That-Does-Not-Stream so well.
    Are you planning to sacrifice some headroom for overhead storage?
    I REALLY wonder how you are going to make the four upper corners of the shell.
    If'n ya boards ain't a-sparkin',
    then you is just a-parkin'!

DARKSIDE RULES!