Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Videocameras

Videocameras

I have been noticing several people with video cameras mounted on their bikes and on their helmets was looking at purchasing one. I would like to video a lot of my trips this year, just wondering what you all like or dislike, it would help me pick out one. I have been reading a lot of articles and it seems that they all have the best I'm thoroughly confused
    2007 Triumph Rocket III 2300cc
    Bunkhouse XL

Re: Videocameras

I have used a Sony Handycam (8mm) camera for years with great success. You can check out some of videos shot with that camera here: http://www.dennisjoyner.net/video.htm

I received a GoPro Hero3 as a Christmas present and I'm looking forward to trying it out when riding season returns. There are quite a few action cameras on the market, all with different features and advantages. To me, video quality and durability are the two most important features of a video camera.
    1978, 1985, 1995 Goldwing; 2006 VTX
    Visit me at: http://www.dennisjoyner.net

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

I don't have one, but have watched a lot of video done with the GoPro Hero3 that DJ refers to and it looked great. Although they may be funny looking the GoPro's seem to be one of the better ones. It's usually what you see on the professional racers helmets so I'm guessing if there was something better they would have it.
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Quote Originally Posted by djoyner View Post
    I received a GoPro Hero3 as a Christmas present and I'm looking forward to trying it out when riding season returns.
    I also recieved one for Christmas this year. My son has used a GoPro for several years riding / racing dirt bikes and really likes it. Loaned it to me last summer for a couple trips and almost didn't get it back so the kids bought one for my very own. They do look big but takes awesome videos and still pictures as well. Alot of different accessories for them also. Well worth the investment in my opinion.

Mark
    See You down the road...
    I get to drive - She does the drive by shooting (with the camera)
    2012 Harley Ultra Classic-'14 XLHD Cargo Trailer
    Our own web page http://www.jmh-limited-editions.com/home.html

There is also a free app (I have one for my iPhone) that allows you to remotely control the Hero3 and see what it is recording as well.

Quote Originally Posted by djoyner View Post
    There is also a free app (I have one for my iPhone) that allows you to remotely control the Hero3 and see what it is recording as well.
    That would be nice except I don't have a fancy phone. I am going to get the remote and the LCD backscreen for mine. Probably cost more than a new iPhone would.

Not to thread-hyjack, but I have a GoPro Hero HD Camera that I'll be putting up For Sale soon. I bought it from a ZRX buddy last year, and frankly, never use it. I video'd some segments of Bike Week 2012 and came home to find out my little computer won't run the blasted GoPro MP4 files. It comes with some attachments (clamps, helmet stickys, etc), instructions, memory card, charger, and a bunch of "umbilical wires" (USB cords, charger cords, etc). $100 plus $10 shipping if anyone is interested. I can send pics of all the schtuff it comes with to an email addy. PM me.....first come, first serve. Mod's can delete this post if out of line.....won't hurt my feelings. I've just been too lazy to post it in the for sale section.......
    I gots a face only my mother could love......and she has suggested plastic surgery!!!

I've had my GoPro Hero 2 for awhile now and think it is the best thing that ever happened to video taping on a motorcycle. It works extremely well, is fairly easy to use (and a no brainer when paired to your smart phone), well made, and tiny, very tiny. I had used a Kodak PlaySport for awhile, but the GoPro makes it an antique. I have used to in a race car, on the motorcycle, in my school bus, my Personal vehicle, and even let the kids play with it. It is amazing. And now that I have added the WiFi back, I can control it from my Android smartphone and even see what I am recording. And, I can pull the memory card out of the camera, insert it into my phone and WATCH what I have recorded. And the GoPRo Hero 3 is even better, smaller, lighter, better resolution, wifi built in, and more bells and whistles than you could possible use. It is a super system and you can not go wrong with it. Send me a PM and we can talk....
    Dress for the SLIDE, not just the RIDE

SCRC Borderline member mrclean28h's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    I have been noticing several people with video cameras mounted on their bikes and on their helmets was looking at purchasing one. I would like to video a lot of my trips this year, just wondering what you all like or dislike, it would help me pick out one. I have been reading a lot of articles and it seems that they all have the best I'm thoroughly confused
    I have a ContourRoam easy as hell to use on and off switch thats it. I had the GoPro and it was good but I missed out on a lot of video because could not tell if it was recording. With this on slide it up to video back to stop in the water proof case

2014 Ultra Classic Limited
    www.mrclean28.smugmug.com
    U.S. Army Retired

I have a GoPro Hero2. The nice thing about the Hero 2 or Hero 3 is that you can remote control them. The Hero 2 uses a WIFI adapter on the back of it, and I believe the Hero 3 comes with the WIFI as a stock feature. What good is Wifi you might ask?? Well, GoPro sells a Wifi based remote control that you can use to turn your camera on, and start or stop recording. The whole Wifi remote is on a wrist strap, and has an LCD display that shows the status of the camera. It does NOT have a screen to show what you are recording. I haven't used my remote very much yet, but it sure seems easier to make sure I am recording when I want to be, and not recording when I don't want to be... It also is safer... I can ride without having to reach the button on the camera or be distracted.