Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Pine Campground, Custer

Re: Big Pine Campground, Custer

I love to ride South Dakota. I've not camped in Custer but will keep it in mind. We usually stay up north in Belle Fourche (Bell Foosh).

Direct cut/paste from the National Parks Service web site.......

Entrance Fees

There is no entrance fee for Mount Rushmore National Memorial. However, fees are required to park at the memorial.

Parking Facility

Parking is readily available in the memorial's parking complex, which is managed by Presidential Parking, Inc. This park concession operates under a contract between the National Park Service and the Mount Rushmore Society, which constructed the parking facility and continues to operate and maintain it. No federal funding was used to construct the parking facility. A parking fee is assessed to offset the expenses of construction, operation and maintenance of the parking facility. This parking permit entitles a non-commercial vehicle unlimited entry to the memorial for the calendar year.

The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Annual Pass, the Annual Pass - Millitary, the Senior Pass and the Access Pass cannot be used for parking fees at Mount Rushmore National Memorial. These passes cover entrance fees and in some cases provide a discount on special use fees such as camping and tours, but do not cover concession fees such as parking.
    Parking Fees

Cars, Motorcycles and RVs $11 per vehicle
    Commercial Tour Bus $50*
    Verified, nonprofit Educational Bus $25*
    *Parking passes for buses are valid for 24 hours from time of first entry.

Parking fees may be paid with cash, traveler's check, or local personal check. Visa and Mastercard credit cards are also accepted.

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Motorcycles should be charged half price or free to park. It is a shame they charge full rate. Does anyone disagree?

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

I agree. You can park 3 bikes in the space of 1 car.

There's also no on-street parking anywhere near by, and the shoulders are posted "no parking".... If you want to stop, you have to park in the lot and pay$$$

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snowclem View Post
    I think that a good deal of my positive attitude towards Rushmore comes from the fact that I tend to despise the glitzy type of tourist stop. Maybe due to the fact that I live in a tourist town. I tend to favor the more natural feeling type place. I wasn't expecting Mt. Rushmore to be done as well as it is. It gets a huge amount of traffic and was done long before this amount of tourism could have been anticipated. I was pleasantly surprised by my experience there.

Richard
    I agree Richard, well worth the $10.00 I had to pay for parking.
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Home is where we park it. Winter: Parker, Arizona / Summer: Rapid City, South Dakota

The $10.00 parking fee at Mt Rushmore is good for one year. You can return as often as you want for one year for that 10 bucks. If you have not seen the lighting ceremony at dusk, it is well worth seeing.

My wife Jen and I just returned from a 3,000+ mile trip to the Black Hills, during which we stayed 7 nights at Big Pine Campground. This campground is everything that Dusty Boots mentioned, and more . Owners Ron and Angie are great folks, and work hard to make this a quality campground. Something which may be new since DB's original post is the addition of a really nice camping cabin within the grounds. While we enjoyed sleeping in our Bunkhouse, the cabin sure looks like a friendly option for those folks who may normally stay in a motel, but would like to enjoy the camping experience.

As advertised, the bathrooms and showers are in great condition, and kept VERY clean. If all campgrounds were this nice (and we all know they aren't LOL) it would be a beautiful thing.

We had originally planned to spend only 3 nights here, then move farther north. We soon realized that the location of Big Pine made it an ideal point from which to launch our day rides to all points in the Black Hills, and a great place to spend our nights. Campgrounds just don't get any better than this one!

Thank you for posting Dusty
    Maybe I can give it a try this year.
    Russ