Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Big Pine Campground, Custer

  1. #1
    just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SW Ontario
    Age
    63
    Posts
    5,832

    Big Pine Campground, Custer

    I have stayed a couple of times at this well appointed and quiet campground, that is designed more for the camper trailer/RV crowd, but is also quite good for those tenting, as they have their own seperate area(s), with washrooms/shower house located very close by.

    This private camground is located a mere 2.5 miles from the heart of Custer, SD, so any supplies you could possibly want are nearby, although there is a small, well stocked store where you check in.

    Each shaded campsite is equipped with a picnic table and fire ring. No electric in the section I was staying in, although there are electrical outlets in the bathrooms for charging your electronics
    The washroom/shower house is super clean with lots of hot water. There is a large SS sink to wash dishes at the area by the washroom entrances. Free WiFi
    I have seen deer wandering through the campground on numerous occassions.

    Close to all the great sights/roads in the Black Hills Region, so I usually stay here for a couple of days to ride/see them. Weather here has been sunny and warm during the days both times I've stayed here (mid July 2011 and late Sept. 2009) while the nights cool off a bit, due to elevation (+/- 5,500')

    If you haven't been to the Black Hills before, you have to put it on your 'Bucket List', as there is plenty to see and do here and this great little campground is central to it all !!!

    Here is an excellent planning resource for the Black Hills Region



    Campground Info: - http://www.bigpinecampground.com/index.html

    Campground Location: - http://goo.gl/maps/RAEdo

    Campground Fees: - Tent -$24/night, Water & Electric - $33/night








    Just some of the sights in the area ...

    Mt Rushmore















    Crazy Horse - a very interesting, ongoing endevour!









    Needles Highway - Don't miss this one!









    Custer State Park


















    Spearfish Canyon

















    Devils Tower National Monument







    Badlands NP










    Slide show of Badlands NP


    Right across from the entrance to the Badlands NP, is the small town of Wall, SD, that is famous for Wall Drug, which is a free exhibit and is quite the interesting tourist stop.


    Like I said, lots to do/see/ride in this area!



    Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

  2. #2
    Hoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Age
    69
    Posts
    165

    Re: Big Pine Campground, Custer

    Great pictures brought back some nice memories of my trip there.

  3. #3
    Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,654

    Re: Big Pine Campground, Custer

    Dusty,

    Your write up is great.

    Being from Eastern South Dakota, I have traveled to the area on vacation jaunts many times. It has been awhile since the last time I saw Crazy Horse. I can tell by your picture that they have progressed.

    2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    07 Kawasaki 900 Custom LT
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter
    11 Honda PCX 125cc Scooter (hers)

  4. #4
    just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)
    Dusty Boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SW Ontario
    Age
    63
    Posts
    5,832

    Re: Big Pine Campground, Custer

    Well Larry, all I can say is that it is a huge undertaking by 1 man and his family!

    Beside the carving of a mountain side, there are a lot of interesting displays inside the Visitors Centre.
    A much more worthwhile exhibit (and cheaper to boot) than Mt Rushmore, IMHO!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    northern Michigan
    Age
    70
    Posts
    837

    Re: Big Pine Campground, Custer

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Well Larry, all I can say is that it is a huge undertaking by 1 man and his family!

    Beside the carving of a mountain side, there are a lot of interesting displays inside the Visitors Centre.
    A much more worthwhile exhibit (and cheaper to boot) than Mt Rushmore, IMHO!
    Just a little defense of Mt. Rushmore. A lot of expense at Rushmore is for maintainence of the sculptures. There is a lot of potential deteriortion if not for that work. All it costs is a National Park Pass for entry and an additional $10 for parking. There was some carping about the parking fee by some members of the group I was there with in 2009. Until I asked if they would prefer to walk across the needed parking lots in the 95* weather and leave there motos out in the heat and dust instead of in the shaded parking ramp and walking about 100 yards. They have a theater that shows a 1/2 hr movie about it's history and when I was there they were giving a live falcon display among other things, but the biggest difference, in my opinion, is the fact that it hasn't been turned into a gaudy tourist trap. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see what it could be like. Instead it's an international goodwill center, that as an American, I can be proud of. Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

    Richard

  6. #6
    Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,654

    Re: Big Pine Campground, Custer

    Quote Originally Posted by snowclem View Post
    Just a little defense of Mt. Rushmore. A lot of expense at Rushmore is for maintainence of the sculptures. There is a lot of potential deteriortion if not for that work. All it costs is a National Park Pass for entry and an additional $10 for parking. There was some carping about the parking fee by some members of the group I was there with in 2009. Until I asked if they would prefer to walk across the needed parking lots in the 95* weather and leave there motos out in the heat and dust instead of in the shaded parking ramp and walking about 100 yards. They have a theater that shows a 1/2 hr movie about it's history and when I was there they were giving a live falcon display among other things, but the biggest difference, in my opinion, is the fact that it hasn't been turned into a gaudy tourist trap. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to see what it could be like. Instead it's an international goodwill center, that as an American, I can be proud of. Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

    Richard
    Points well made. Did they charge $10 for a motorcycle to park? Now that would be not be the American spirit.


  7. #7
    #%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Belton, Kentucky
    Age
    56
    Posts
    6,990

    Re: Big Pine Campground, Custer

    Quote Originally Posted by LarryinSeattle View Post
    Points well made. Did they charge $10 for a motorcycle to park? Now that would be not be the American spirit.

    If I remember correctly I think I just had to pay the $10 parking charge to get in when I went in 2009. It was starting to drizzle and was foggy that morning so I was just going to grab some pics and head into town to see the Motorcycle Museum.
    Steve

    2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

  8. #8
    just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)
    Dusty Boots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SW Ontario
    Age
    63
    Posts
    5,832

    Re: Big Pine Campground, Custer

    Yes ... $10 to park and free admittance to the Monument when I visited it in 2009, IIRC

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    E. Iowa, Overnite Camping 15mi off Hwy 20
    Posts
    257

    Re: Big Pine Campground, Custer

    When we were there in '11 we mentioned the fee at the visitors desk. They explained to us that it is a "temporary fee" till the loan they took out to build the parking facility is paid off then it wiil revert back to a free exhibit. I forget the time frame of the loan, but I do know once your used to the revenue it's hard to give it up and I'm sure could go to other needs.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    northern Michigan
    Age
    70
    Posts
    837

    Re: Big Pine Campground, Custer

    I think that a good deal of my positive attitude towards Rushmore comes from the fact that I tend to despise the glitzy type of tourist stop. Maybe due to the fact that I live in a tourist town. I tend to favor the more natural feeling type place. I wasn't expecting Mt. Rushmore to be done as well as it is. It gets a huge amount of traffic and was done long before this amount of tourism could have been anticipated. I was pleasantly surprised by my experience there.

    Richard

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •