Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Canyon Campground - Dixie Nat Forest - near Panguitch

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Red Canyon Campground - Dixie Nat Forest - near Panguitch

Lovely little Forest Service campground that makes an ideal base camp to explore a couple of the National Parks in the area, if you're a tent camper, or a good spot to overnight if hauling a camper and don't need electric for 2, or 3 nights.
    Beautiful red sandstone formations in the area lend to that special feel for the area. Close to Bryce Canyon, Cedar Breaks and Zion and located near the start of fabled Hwy 12.

Each campsite has a picnic table, and fire ring. Potable water spigots and 2 flush/vault toilets are scattered throughout the campground. Coin operated hot showers are available.
    No electric, or WiFi.
    Traffic noise from Hwy 12 can be heard throughout the campground, but isn't really an issue come night fall. The loop that is farthest away from the highway also is the shadiest, but campsite size is smaller on the ones built into/onto the hillside.
    There are a few trails that start within the campground , or are nearby.
    The Red Canyon Visitors Centre is just a 1/2 mile down the road from the campground entrance.

All in all, a very nice, clean campground in a great, central location

Campground Info: - http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/int...htm#red_canyon and http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/dixie...24944&actid=29

Campground Location: - http://goo.gl/maps/fJcqx

Campground Fees: - $15/night

Time of Visit: - Sept 12, 2009

Weather conditions at time of visit: - Mostly clear skies with day time highs in the mid 80s. Night time lows of low 60s

Sorry, no photos of the actual campground/site

Area around the campground .....

You can do a day ride over to Cedar Breaks Nat Mon and back easily

Bryce Canyon NP is also nearby!

.... and Zion NP is within striking distance for a day ride, as well!

When visiting Zion, it is best to go to the Visitor Centre and park your bike, then hop on one of the many free shuttle buses, as you won't be allowed to ride your bike up the canyon, due to traffic congestion.

I like to sometimes combine some hiking on a bike trip.
    There are many short and not so short hikes within this park.

You can take a shuttle bus all the way up to the end, and then walk about a mile along the paved Riverside Walk, up to the mouth of the Zion Narrows

For something a little more strenuous, there is the mile long Canyon Overlook Trail, which starts at the eastern end of the mile long Mount Carmel Tunnel

Can you spot the 2 hikers making their way back down the trail. holdijg on to the hand railing, above the road grade in this shot?

Check out the size of the root of this old gnarly tree that is just perched on the edge of a slot canyon, along the trail! My Riding Bud Winger77 likes it!

For a strenuous hike and you don't suffer from vertigo, you might want to try the Angels Landing Trail. This one will take a few hours as it is 5.4 mi long, with an elevation gain of 1,488'. The last section is not for the timid!

The trails heads up through here ....

with great views back down from where you came ...

with interesting wind/water erosion sights of the rock along the way ....

continue going up ...

Have a little break at Scout's Lookout ....

before the tough part! ....

Do not slip here!

Made it. Great views up and down the canyon!

Thought I'd sit down, rest a bit to have a bite to eat and take a shot at what's underfoot! yes, that's a shuttle bus down there in that white triangle area, between my feet!

Alright ... time to head back down. ...

As you can plainly see, this part of Southern Utah has a lot to offer/see/do!

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Re: Red Canyon Campground - Dixie Nat Forest - near Panguitch

There's another good ride in the Panguitch area. Take the road up over Brian Head ski area. It's the highest peak in Utah. I have to get back to Utah. I haven't been everywhere yet, It's my favorite of the places I've been.

Richard

E. Iowa, Overnite Camping 15mi off Hwy 20

I don't know if I could pick out a best review of all yours, there's been some other really neat ones, but these pictures really make me want to see this myself. It looks truly stunning, now to convince the wife.

just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by snowclem View Post
    There's another good ride in the Panguitch area. Take the road up over Brian Head ski area. It's the highest peak in Utah. I have to get back to Utah. I haven't been everywhere yet, It's my favorite of the places I've been.

Richard
    Actually Richard,the highest peak in UT, is King's Peak @ 13,528', up in the High Uinta's

FYI: - Brian Head Peak, @ 11,300' is the highest peak in SW Utah.
    It's just a couple minutes ride from Cedar Breaks NM.

Yes ... southern Utah is SPECIAL!
    Guess that's why there is 8 - 9 National Parks/Monuments/Nat Rec Areas!!

Figures I'd have that wrong. It's a quote from one of the bus drivers at Zion.

Richard

just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)

No worries, Richard!

Everyone's 'Back Yard' is the biggest/greatest/tallest.

I've spent a fair amount of time riding/backpacking all over UT and continue to be drawn to it, as there are more areas I'd like to explore/camp in, before I 'close the book' on UT.

AWESOME!!! I hope you are going to continue to post your adventages all winter...these pictures are really timely for me since Utah is one of the places we are going to spend a few days exploring...

Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by bikergal View Post
    AWESOME!!! I hope you are going to continue to post your adventages all winter...these pictures are really timely for me since Utah is one of the places we are going to spend a few days exploring...
    Don't worry...I'll bet Ken has at least 100 other camp grounds and areas that he has been to that he hasn't even reviewed for us yet.
    That man puts us American's to shame with his wide spread travel of our country and appreciation of it!
    I don't even have to research camp grounds with other resources...I just look up Ken's reports.
    I'm not sure where he hasn't been.
    He ought to publish a guide!

Colleen

Quote Originally Posted by Black and Blue View Post
    I'm not sure where he hasn't been.
    He ought to publish a guide!

Colleen
    He hasnt been to see our Cajun Cousins in Louisana...I know this because its not colored in on his USA map...hahah

I camped here in September 2013. As Dusty says it's a nice campground, paved roads, water, coin operated showers in the western loop.
    I'm not a big fan of the concrete pads they have put in for the table, grill, fire pit area and there is a good deal of road noise from hwy 12. The state DOT has cut warning strips into the shoulders of the road, and when the 4 wheel contraptions cut the curves it makes a heck of a racket.

[IMG][/IMG]
    My friend Ernie at the campsite

[IMG][/IMG]
    View from back of campsite
    Don Ricks
    Atlanta. Ga

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive"