Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleepy Hollow Campground - near Cainville, UT

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Sleepy Hollow Campground - near Cainville, UT

Here is a very quiet little campground that my riding partner and I literally stumbled upon, when night was closing in on us and all the other campgrounds we had passed were either full, or closed. As we crested a hill, it appeared in the distance, like an oasis.
    When we 1st pulled in, it appeared for all intents and purposes to be abandoned, as there were no one around, no recent tire tracks, signs were sun faded, with lots of weeds pushing up through all the gravel in the RV pull through section and the office door was locked.

Earlier that morning, my riding partner and I left Snow Canyon SP and stopped off in St George to get him a hydration bladder, as he was new to riding in the SW. After that we checked out Cedar Breaks NM, Red Canyon SRA, ran into some gals (Cougars) in at Bryce Canyon, stopped in at what was my 1st choice (Plan "A") of a campground, at Calf Creek, which is just north of Escalante along fabulous SR 12. We had made lots of photo op stops and were just taking it easy, drinking in all that the area has to offer. Time was drawing on and I told my bud that there was a campground up in Capitol Reef NP and that we would camp there. (Plan "B") We started making some time, narrowly avoiding what would have been a horrendous speeding ticket (90mph in a 55) and stray cattle out on the highway. By the time we turned off at Torrey to head east along 24, towards Capitol Reef, the shadows were getting long. When we finally reached the park, not only was the campground full, but the entrance was closed for the night.
    So now we were getting a little concerned as to where we would camp. I knew the way ahead held little prospect of a motel and although you can 'Camp at Large' within National Park boundaries (restrictions apply) there was no spot that offered us any good/easy access off of the highway that wasn't a wash and rain looked rather likely by now, so we kept riding east and then we crested the hill and spotted that 'Oasis' called Sleepy Hollow far off at the bottom of the hill.

Like I said, this campground looked deserted/abandoned. This is mainly for the RV crowd with roughly 20 pull throughs. At the east end of the property, there is a stand of large Cottonwoods with some privacy screens set up amongst them and it was sandy, so that's where we set up. My friend was uneasy about not paying, so he walked back to the office at the building, where there was a sign telling us to call a 1 800 #. We looked down the side of the building and there was a public telephone there, so we called the number. A woman answered and told us her husband was on his way over and shortly we heard a quad coming from across the highway. Their house was over there, hidden behind an apple orchard and he registered us and gave us the combination for the washroom/shower house, which when we opened the door, I have never seen such a clean and modern shower house like this one before. I was flabbergasted!
    Anyways, we paid and continued setting up camp and had a great night's sleep.

We had a picnic table, water, flush toilets, hot showers, electric in the washroom to charge up the electronics

Time of Visit: - Sept 13, 2009

Weather Conditions during visit: - sunny and high of 85, clouding over towards night. Night temps of mid 50s and awoke to heavy cloud cover

Campground Info: - http://www.go-utah.com/Sleepy-Hollow-Campground/

Campground Location: - http://goo.gl/maps/WwGtC

Camping Fee: - $15/night

next morning ..

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Re: Sleepy Hollow Campground - near Cainville, UT

Thanks for posting this. The combo of Hwy 12, 24, and 95 to Blanding has been one of my favorites for years. This will be a good one to keep in mind.
    Don Ricks
    Atlanta. Ga

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive"

Ken,

Of all the things I saw on my long trip in 2010, that area was the biggest surprise and wonder.

Richard

just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhound View Post
    Thanks for posting this. The combo of Hwy 12, 24, and 95 to Blanding has been one of my favorites for years. This will be a good one to keep in mind.

Yes .... anyone who has ridden that circuit is aware that outside of the 3 NP/NM campgrounds, (crowded/noisy) there are but a small handful of campgrounds along this rather desolate section of arid beauty, that is Southern UT.

If you haven't been here before, bump it up on your Bucket List!

Allright, you guys have gone and done it now. This pic is for all of you that don't always have to ride on hard surfaces. It's called The Bray Tr.

and this is the good part of the 20 miles down to Bullfrog Landing.

Richard

Oh yes, this was done on my GL1800.

(Threadstarter)

Richard ... good for you!

I've been down those roads with my van (backpacking in Canyonlands) when it's rained out and know how quickly those roads there become a gooey quagmire of tire sucking slick rock clay, that can stop ya dead in your tracks ... even with 4 wheel drive jeeps.
    That's why I wouldn't take the wing off the highway in those washes near Capitol Reef with the threat of rain looming.

I was naive. I was just trying to avoid backtracking and a local told me about the road and that it would take me to a ferry that would cross Lake Powell. I made it, but I rode through several soft sand spots and saw the signs warning about flash flooding. I wouldn't consider doing it again on the wing, but since I've done it, I don't mind bragging about it. It saved me a lot of miles and allowed me to do a quick drive thru of Natural Bridges NP, but I now know that the longer route would have taken me through equally neat places too. It would be very hard to ride in that area anyplace and not be awed by the scenery.

Richard

Dusty B..enjoyed your review on Sleepy Hollow CG. I'm planning a ride that way during 3rd or 4th week of May. Was thinking Sleepy Hollow would be a good CG to base out of for a few nights. What do you think? Thanks

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by txrider View Post
    Dusty B..enjoyed your review on Sleepy Hollow CG. I'm planning a ride that way during 3rd or 4th week of May. Was thinking Sleepy Hollow would be a good CG to base out of for a few nights. What do you think? Thanks
    Well ..... if you can find enough things/places nearby to keep you interested in camping in this rather desolated area for that long, I don't see why not.
    Keep in mind, the closet areas with any kind of amenities (gas/food) would be Hanksville (22 mi E) or Torrey (25 mi W)
    You certainly won't find this campground 'crowded' and it does have great hot showers!

Dusty

If you haven't been here before, bump it up on your Bucket List!

Ok I bumped it to the bottom of the list.
    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800,2001 Honda Shadow VLX, 1970 Honda Passport 70
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 175
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100