Thread: Ray Behrens Rec Area

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Ray Behrens Rec Area

Ray Behrens Rec Area is a large A.C.E. campground, situated on Mark Twain Lake.

Although this campground is situated on the lake, none of the campsites in my loop (Deer Run) had a view of the lake. Sites were clean and had electric, a picnic table, fire ring and a lantern pole. Potable water and a clean shower house were close by. No WiFi

Most of the campsites were in the open, with little/no shade and were geared more towards the RV crowd.
    This campground was fairly quiet.

Time of Visit: - Aug 9, 2011

Weather Conditions: - Clear, with temps in the 90s during the day and high 60s at night

Campground Info: - http://www.mvs.usace.army.mil/marktw...y-behrens.html

Campground Location: - http://goo.gl/maps/8ltYb

Campground Fee: - $18/night with electric

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Re: Ray Behrens Rec Area

A better spot on Mark Twain Lake is the Indian Creek Corps campgound. It's around the other side of the lake from Ray Behrens and I prefer it.
    Kerry,
    1989 GL1500 Goldwing
    1984 VF700C aka Ye Olde MagnaWing

Slightly Grumpy Old Guy Bipeflier's Avatar

I agree that Indian Creek is better if you are looking for shade. It is several miles off Hwy. 24 however so it takes a few minutes to get in there.

BTW we used to dirt bike the entire area and hosted enduros and hare scrambles there before the dam was complete. On the east side of Indian Creek CG there are stairs that lead down to the lake. That path was our "hill climb" area back in the day ('71 thru '76). There is a spring that is under water now, near the boat launch that we used for a refreshing drink. Good Times.
    '16 GL 1800 Red
    '07 Aspen Classic Camper
    '17 Yamaha WR250R - '69 Triumph 500 Daytona
    '50 Verbal GPS & Tour Guide

I know that hill with the stairs. I bet it was a ball for a hill climb. I remember going out to see the construction progress when we used to go visit my grandma in Palmyra. They were just finishing up when we moved to Hannibal in '83.

Stayed in Ray Behrens's Rec area for a night last week.
    Nice campground ... pretty quiet, though we had a neighbor who came in from fishing after dark and then proceeded to stay up with lights and loud conversation until midnight or so :/
    The check-in people were pleasant and helpful ... the bathroom/shower room was ok, warm water, kind of clean ... the site had electric, a gravel pad, blacktop driveway, some level grass, and a lantern hanging pole.
    Heavily wooded so not much breeze, short walk to the lake.
    There is a small camp store near the entrance/marina with some rather highly priced essentials. I would suggest riding a bit further the the gas station/general store on the main road if you need anything (the marina closes early also).
    Cost for tent campsite with electric was $12 per night.

Our campsite (#17) with my Marmot Hideaway and my son's hammock:
    2014 Harley Ultra
    2014 Honda CB500x
    2011 Bunkhouse

Slightly Grumpy Old Guy Bipeflier's Avatar

Another good option if you want shade is the Mark Twain State Park located towards the western end of the lake where North Fork and South Fork split. It is on Hwy. 107 about 3/4 mile north of Hwy. 154. https://mostateparks.com/park/mark-twain-state-park