Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moto-Camping Check List

Moto-Camping Check List

Attached is my version of a checklist of gear to pack for a Moto-camping trip. I took liberties with one that Mellow had posted, reviewed other lists, and took notes on my latest trip. I removed items I didn't need or use, and left some that may still need to come off the list. These lists should always be "living documents", subject to constant review and revision.

One way to save lots of packing space is to leave out all the cooking gear & related food. Eating in restaurants can cost a bit more, but it means less gear to pack and more time on the road. Ready to eat snacks can still supplement your diet.

What I've found to be the toughest items to pack are tent poles and other long objects. A tent can be packed into a saddle bag and kept dry or separate from other items, but tent poles tend to be too long. Almost always the poles get strapped across the rear seat. For some that obstructs the view in the mirrors. I'm still working out where to strap on the pole bag to keep my view un-obstructed.

My last ride I took too much in clothes. Riding from snowy conditions to low 70's I was certian I would need a large variety of clothes to keep me comfortable. I was wrong! Future rides I will be more deliberate in packing just enough to keep me from smelling too bad.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Trekker; 02-21-2008 at 12:53 PM.
    Dave
    <<<< Willville in April

'99 ST1100

Re: Moto-Camping Check List

I can never get those files to open. That's probably why I always leave something in the Bunkhouse when I'm in the tent, or leave something on the ST when I'm in the Bunkhouse.

Mac,

You're probably missing the program Excel needed to open an .xls spreadsheet.

Here's a site with checklist generators that let you create your own checklist and print it out.

http://www.micapeak.com/checklists/

Gordon
    Gordon

Gordon, Thank you verrrrrry much. I will still leave stuff, cause I'll forget which unit I'm supposed to be taking!!!!!!!

Mac,

I resemble that remark!

Senior moments can hit at the worst times, can't they?

I thought the checklist generator would be a great asset when I first saw it, glad it works for you.

Gordon

(Threadstarter)

Mac- How about creating a specific list for each unit? My list for car camping with the wife is much different than a moto-camping or backpacking list. I know... I know... I'm suggesting more work for ya!

You guys don't understand. I keep losing the lists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

(Threadstarter)

I have the answer Mac! ........... Duct Tape !!!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

I also keep a packing list and it is a living document, updated each year from experience. One thing missing from your list is an entry showing where the item is packed. I don't use anything as fancy as a spreadsheet to maintain my list, just a standard mainframe ISPF editor. But on a PC you can easily use NotePad and a .txt document. Here is an example of my list:

__________________________________________________ __________
    | | CELL PHONE PLUG CABLE | TANK BAG - CENTER
    | | CAMPING LANTERN | DUFFEL BAG
    | | CLIP-ON BOOK LIGHT | TANK BAG - CENTER
    | | COFFEE MAKER WITH FILTERS | DUFFEL BAG
    | | COFFEE | DUFFEL BAG

The small box to the left of each item is used to checkoff each item as its packed where it belongs. Listing where something is packed can make it easier to find something in the middle of the night when its really dark out.
    Alan

IBA 20568
    AMA 402014
    2003 Honda ST1300
    1969 Honda CB750

(Threadstarter)

Good point! I'm still working on that aspect. Since I came back from my latest trip I'm still thinking about packing differently.

Spreadsheets aren't fancy... They are easy list makers... ya don't even need to know what all though formulas thingys do!