Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to camp in the rain

Re: How to camp in the rain

Good info on picking a site.. I remember one of the first bike rallys I went to. It rained like crazy all night long, and in the morning I had a 4' wide moat all the way around my tent.
    I had to jump over it just to go get coffee..

A good tent and a nice big full size air mattress are my friends now when I camp. If it's really I pull everything up on the mattress with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow
    Oh the shame.... oh the shame....

Real campers camp in the rain... LOL
    So are you camping tonight???

Quote Originally Posted by Tx White Knight
    So are you camping tonight???
    With the wind/rain from last night a tent wouldn't be much different than a house... sux not being able to sleep because you're subconsciously listening for a tornado warning.. But, just rain and strong winds here.. looks like Houston is getting it today.
    Joe (My Travels) 2014 Super Tenere

I agree with Mellow on technique... keep the wet things away from the dry things. I pack my tent in a saddle bag (& the poles across the back seat), and my clothes and sleeping bag in separate waterproof bags. During the morning packing- do as much as possible inside the tent and pack the tent last.

If your lucky enough to have put up a tarp (like a parawing), then packing the tent and other wet gear can be done under that.

Regarding the motel technique... I will admit to stying in a motel while traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway during a steady rain. Since the cloud had desended right down to the road... I had no choice since the closest campground was too far away. I would not have been able to reach that campground before dark and it was already too difficult to see the road during daylight. So... Plan B was put into effect!
    Dave
    <<<< Willville in April

'99 ST1100

Plan B can always be a good thing. We resorted to it even when it was nice out. It was so hot, getting in, out of the sun and in a cool room was much better for us. And of course, on a longer (2 week trip) you have to do it a few times....

Rain or not, it always good to have a picinic table. I have used my spare large contractor trash bags to always store my stuff, helmet, boots, jacket etc. in the bag on the table. I tuck the top of the bag through the slots in the boards and stuf stays dry, even for the morning dew.

Ben

It didnt rain last night at Pac's bend in TX
    Great night and cool breeze this morning .
    Had a small fire and hot coffee for breakfast then a 40 mile ride home .
    We should all go sometime.
    It a little steep at $15 a ride in but they never run out of spots as its 1500 acreas and hundreds of spots .
    Mostly not much more than a table and a hole in the ground for services

Hampton Inn does it for me.

The Noah's Tarp is an essential part of my camping gear. I also carry two Noah's Staffs to pitch up two corners over the picnic table. When waking up on a wet morning, having a dry place to sit, pack and gear up makes a world of difference.

One thing I've never seen mentioned...... carry a big Golf-type umbrella to walk around under during a rainy camp. Makes all the difference in the world.....

Harley guys will maybe laugh, but they'll do it with the rain draining into their beards from their silly soaked bandanas!

This camp was drenched all night in a steady northwest rain, but with the umbrella, some Frogg Toggs, and a Campmor silican/nylon tarp stretched over our picnic table, we stayed dry and comfortable...... It was fun drinking good press coffee and eating breakfast at our tarped picnic table while all the RVers were penned inside!