Thread: South Mineral Campground - Silverton, CO

Fir Tree South Mineral Campground - Silverton, CO

In June of 2006, my son Eric and I camped at a Forest Service campground six miles west of Silverton, CO, the campground is named South Mineral and its elevation is 9,800 foot. Access to South Mineral is via an improved dirt road, the campground is about four miles back on the dirt road. I had no trouble on the dirt road with my Honda ST1300, a bike not renowned for its off-road prowess. The attached pictures will give you an idea of the condition of the road.

Information about the campground can be found at: http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/sanjuan/recr...-mineral.shtml

South Mineral is deep in the mountains so the sun is shaded early and late in the day. We were there in mid to late June and it got quite cold overnight, 29 degrees according to the camp host. When I finally got up and around in the morning the ST1300 dashboard display showed 32 degrees. One of the campground pictures I have attached is a bit blurry, but shows me trying to heat some water for coffee while freezing. I have a JetBoil stove and it doesn't work worth a damn when it's that cold out.

The ground was rocky so I had to work to find a decent spot to set up my tent. One neat thing happened while we were there: there was a rock avalanche not far from the campground and it made a terrific noise.

South Mineral was a decent place for us to spend the night on our bike tour of southern Utah and Colorado.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9-17-2006-44.jpg   9-17-2006-45.jpg   9-17-2006-46.jpg   9-17-2006-47.jpg   9-17-2006-48.jpg  

Alan

IBA 20568
    AMA 402014
    2003 Honda ST1300
    1969 Honda CB750