Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leesure Lite

Leesure Lite

Hello all,
    Well, I pulled the pin and went to Pennsylvania and bought a 2012 Leesure Lite camper. Out the door price there (no taxes, will need to pay those here in Ohio) was $5200. This included the heavy weather tarp (standard), the brackets to store it on end (standard), the curtains for the windows (standard) the 5 pin connector (standard, even though some brands charge you), handle for the tongue (standard), and the "for a price" options that Millers Trailers included free; the wide tire upgrade and the wide tire spare and mount. Color is white body with tan tent material.

After looking at about a million different campers, we decided to rent a Leesure Lite from Miller's, just to see if we would like it. Used a rental for one night and found it suited my needs perfectly. The bed is a "full" which means it's about 58 inches wide. That is PLENTY big enough for two to sleep comfortably, even if you aren't newly weds. It rained like crazy during my rental, but the inside stayed prefectly dry. The rental also had the 7 foot owning option. This came in handy, as I used it for a "garage" for the Harley.

Anyhow, drove my car to get it as I didn't want to tow it 800 miles for a first trip. Miller's even put a long plastic pipe on the top that stuck out about 4 inches on each side so I wouldn't forget I was towing a trailer. Really came in handy when pulling up to a gas pump, and a toll booth. Towed home absolutely perfectly. No drama, no complaints.

So, got it home and, as recommended by the manufacturer, sprayed the entire tent area with "Camp Dry" which was also supplied free of charge by Miller's. I then let it dry for the recommended amount of time and..... so begins my exposure to Leesure Lite. As I have just recently sold my Bunkhouse, there will be a lot of comparisons in this post. PLEASE!!! I do not want to offend anyone, these are just my observations as they apply to ME...

Walking around the camper, the quality is very obvious. The body material is first rate with no bumps, waves, or cracks anywhere to be seen. It is a smooth gloss finish and the decals are nicely applied and tasteful. The top hinge is almost full width and it appears that a layer of sealant was applied under it so it would be watertight after it was screwed on. One of the things I immediately noticed was the way the unit was built. Whereas on the Bunkhouse, EVERYTHING was pop riveted (including the lights and the GROUNDS on those lights) using the cheap home workshop type rivets. The only pop rivets I could see on the Leesure Lite were the four on each rear tail lights attaching them to the body. And these were a very high quality aircraft style rivet. On the Bunkhouse, the support bars for the top where they attach to the body were, again, pop riveted using home style pop rivets. On the Leesure Lite, there are bolts with nylon locknuts holding it together which means you can tighten them over time when they become loose. The Bunkhouse used a rubber pull cord to keep the top down onto the body. The Leesure Lite uses an adjustable metal draw bolt type of device. As the seal around the top settles in, it can be adjusted to keep the top down tight. And, it has a padlock attachment point. I could never get the Bunkhouse look to work properly. Speaking of the top, it is a hard material that matches the body. There are rails for keeping items off the top and a place to tie down anything you might carry in a waterproof bag on top. I believe you can carry up to 300 pounds on the top. The Bunkhouse uses a nylon top which continually flapped in the wind going down the road. To keep the rails from getting scratched on the ground, Miller's added some sort of hard rubber cover. Most people just use rubber pipe insulation.

The frame on the Leesure Lite is powder coated. Not sure about the Bunkhouse, but after a few years of use, it began rusting. All wiring under the Leesure Lite is in sheathing, the Bunkhouse was ty wrapped to the frame. In the winter, the tongue(?) of the Leesure Lite can be folded down and the entire trailer stood on end using the supplied brackets. This takes the footprint to about 6 foot wide by about 3 foot deep. Well out of the way and leaving room for the Harley in my heated garage. The Bunkhouse had 12" wheels, the Leesure Lite uses 8". I thought this might be a problem, but after reading several threads on this site, it is not an issue. Not sure how easy it will be to find replacements, the 12" style on the Bunkhouse could be found ready mounted for about $30.

Now, and I know you aren't going to believe me, but it is TRUE. From the time I step off the Harley until I am out of the rain, is 18 (EIGHTEEN) seconds. When you fold back the top, it is like a clamshell, the tent comes out with it. Once the top is on the ground, you can walk in and do whatever else you need done from inside, out of the elements. And all that is required is to raise the rear support and screw them tight. The support bars on the Leesure Lite use a knob/screw set-up so you can fine tune them for stretch or drainage. The Bunkhouse uses a little pin that pops into a hole when it gets where the company thinks it should be. Mine began to sag after a couple of years, but there was no adjustment. In the rain, it seemed to take forever to flip this part out and then this part and adjust the support bars. And I'm not sure if it were my Bunkhouse or if it were all of them, but it was hard to get the supports down under the body. and I always had to kneel down to do them. On the Leesure Lite, they drop right into place, always room under the camper for them to swing all the way down.

I like the hard floor of the Leesure Lite. The Bunkhouse floor was in the mud. I know, we always put a tarp down also, but that was in the mud. And you had to put it somewhere to travel. I like the secure feeling of a solid floor, and being above the ground should let water pass under it without commotion. The end windows of the Leesure Lite are equipped with awnings. What a great feature in the rain. And, the windows come with curtains. Not a deal maker, but a nice thought out feature. Being off the ground, the doors unzip all the way, no need for a "bathtub" style floor. The door screens are held in place with quality velcro and can be zipped shut if desired. The windows have zip up covers, similar to the Bunkhouse.

Storage on the Leesure Lite can't compare to the Bunkhouse. You will not be able to bring the kitchen sink with the Leesure Lite. But, I don't need that much storage. I can bring enough clothing for a three week trip, with food, cooking stuff, bedding, fans, and so on with room to spare in the Leesure Lite. I would tend to get carried away with the Bunkhouse and grossly overload the motorcycle. Mattress on either the Leesure Lite or Bunkhouse are a waste. At least on the Bunkhouse they were included. I think they ask about $200 for the Leesure Lite. I bought a full air mattress and pump at Wallyworld for about $30 and it works just fine for two people. The Bunkhouse had a King bed, the Leesure Lite a Full. I don't need that much bed so it really didn't matter to me. It is plenty big enough for two adults and if I sleep with more than that, .... well, we won't go there... In the Leesure Lite I can leave the bed made up, the Bunkhouse had to be folded up when packed. The Leesure Lite has the bed over the axle, this is a very stable platform. The Bunkhouse had it hanging out over the edge on a "U" shaped bracket. It would move the trailer when you rolled over, not a problem with the Leesure Lite. Even with the bed left made up (I do deflate the mattress. The sheets are fitted and when I re-inflate the mattress, they are in place) I have plenty of storage. Since all of my "stuff" is in plastic bins, there is no problem with tripping over things. They slide under the bed extension and are out of the way. The "dressing" area has enough room for two small stools and a plastic folding camp table.

When it comes time to pack, I loosen two thumb screws, fold the floor over the top, raise the stabilizers, and I'm done. The instructions are simple: Don't pinch the tent as it might let water in. The Bunkhouse was three pages long with warnings about pull this part out, tuck this part in, if you do it wrong you'll tear the tent or ruin the screens. So, I fold the bottom to become the top, walk around and tuck the tent stuff in, flip the latch and it's ready. I can be mounted and on my way while with the Bunkhouse I would be worried about pinching things and folding it up in the right order. The Bunkhouse served us well, but it took too long to use. It had plenty of room, but in camp I am usually out by the fire, or watching netflixs on my laptop. Plenty of room for that. I rarely crawled up on the bed during the day, so the King bed was a waste during that time anyway.

One thing I really didn't think about, but have done it several times..... When it becomes a cloud burst and I need to stop, I pull into a rest area, QUICKLY flip open the camper and sit it out. That is almost impossible with the Bunkhouse or any other erector set camper. Law Enforcement has never asked me to move with the Leesure Lite, but with all the tent fabric on the Bunkhouse, I was told many times that I couldn't erect a tent in the rest area. Even WalMart has let me park the Leesure Lite in their lot, but I had two tell me no when they saw what it was (Kileen, TX and Columbus, GA) I opened up the Leesure Lite in Columbus and nothing was said.

So, and again, THESE ARE MY IMPRESSIONS after having both. The Leesure Lite was a little more expensive but will definitely get more use just because it is easier to set up. The quality of the Leesure Lite leaves the Bunkhouse in the dust with well thought out design and quality construction. Other than the immense amount of storage on the Bunkhouse, in my opinion, the Leesure Lite is the one for me. You thoughts may vary..... but I wanted quality, the fastest set-up I could find, and a stable platform. I found all of those in the Leesure Lite (no, I'm not affiliated with Leesure Lite in anyway)

Update...... after using the trailer for several weeks, I have found that this camper is much better than I initially thought. It has performed impeccably and without drama or concern. I have had absolutely zero problems towing it with the Harley, and set-up/take down have been extremely quick and uneventful. The only areas of concern would be, the support brackets where the "tent" supports attach to the base are in a position where the nyloc nuts rub my air mattress. This is the same whether on the bunkhouse or the Leesure Lite. The cure is a small piece of cloth to cover the nuts, simple. The other and this is a concern on all trailers, where ever there is a hinge, be it for the "floor" or the bed handing over the edge. In time, I think they will all loosen and need tightened. Guess I will cross that bridge when it rears it's ugly head. As mentioned, I have changed the two remaining incandescent lights to LED. Other than perhaps removing the spare to save weight, no other changes are planned, it is that good out of the box.

So, these are MY opinions and may not be yours. It works for me, and I am very happy with my purchase. Other campers have given great positive feedback, and all are impressed with the quality. I think, for the money spent, I couldn't have done any better with any other brand. Oh yeah, I double checked my times....18 Seconds from getting off the motor to standing high and dry in the tent is consistent and repeatable....

Ya'll enjoy camping, and don't forget, if coming near Akron, Ohio... I have room to share
    Dress for the SLIDE, not just the RIDE

Re: Leesure Lite

Nice write up. I like the comparison between the two and showing both of their strong and weak points. I too like the Leesure-lite. I just need to find a good deal on a used one.
    Thank You
    Guy Asmus

(Threadstarter)

Guy,

I looked and looked for a nice used one and finally gave up. I did find one here in Akron, but the guy had actually lived in it for a year and it looked it. The top had stress cracks where he overloaded it and the tent material was all mildewed. The rims were rusty and the wiring was trashed.. He listed it as in "good" condition. Wanted $3000 for it. I offered $1500 and he turned it down. This was two months ago. It's still sitting in the yard, covered in weeds, rotting away.
    I highly recommend Miller Trailers in Pennsylvania. Nice people to do business with, and if you rent one and buy within 60 days, they will apply the rental towards the purchase...
    Jeff

What does it do to your gas mileage?

I'd be curious about that as well. That is my only 'reservation' on that unit; it's very wide compared to the other models, even if it is lighter.

Congrats on your new camper...sounds like you are really going to enjoy it...

(Threadstarter)

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure what it does to my mileage. If it has much of an affect, it would be pretty small as I don't seem to have to refuel anymore than I used to. I will have to do a check next spring to see. And, yes, it is a bit wider than the other trailers out there, but that was a concession I was willing to make to avoid having to fold out bits and pieces to sleep on. A big benefit to me is that when I turn over at night, being in the middle of the wheels, the trailer doesn't rock and shake like my other trailer did, being hung out over the edge of the trailer as it were. Several thousand miles, many overnighters, and am still very pleased with the Leesure Lite.

That was a terrific review from someone experienced with both brands. Very useful for someone like me in the market.

Now if I could just see a similar review of the Lea Sure Lite and the Roll-a-Home Standard....Anyone?

That would be interesting. There are tradeoff's to both from just looking over their respective sites.

I have a Roll-A-Home standard ordered, Leesurelite was what I was first looking at for ease of setup, but ended up ordering RAH for the under the bed storage. You need to store most of your stuff on top of the Leesure Lite so you have to unload it before you set up. You are able to access RAH storage, when folded up, or set up.
    Lloyd and Judy in Columbiaville, MI.
    2013 Ural Patrol
    2012 Burgman 400
    We tent camp