Thread: Can LED lights installed on a vehicle short out?

Can LED lights installed on a vehicle short out?

I am looking to replace my incandescent brake lights on a trailer with LED lights. My incandescent lights burn out often. I'm afraid there is a short. Would a short damage the LED lights too?

Re: Can LED lights installed on a vehicle short out?

The short will cause any electrical component to not work correctly, so the short should be fixed first.
    Brian
    US Navy retired 1983-2003
    If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Not saying its not a short, my buddy has a car trailer and he could not keep bulbs in it.
    Put LEDs in and problem went away. Bulbs could not handle the amount of vibration th trailer put on them.
    Russ

I would think a short would cause the same bulb or that cicrut to go or pop fuse try putting small fuse in line wit that circut if you can nor find short to confirm problem.

Install one LED at a time and verify that it works - do not install all LEDs at one time.Do not leave a LED in a socket unless it actually works otherwise it can cause a short circuit.

Don't forget that LED's are polarity sensitive. If you hook them up backwards they don't work.
    We ride because we can .... Victory Hammer with Trans Moto Sidecar, Kompact Kamp Mini Mate

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Dagnan View Post
    I am looking to replace my incandescent brake lights on a trailer with LED lights. My incandescent lights burn out often. I'm afraid there is a short. Would a short damage the LED lights too?
    You cant say LED lights will work well guaranteed but they do have good resistance to fluctuations, so you must use them in place of conventional lights.