Thread: Taylorsville Lake State Park

Taylorsville Lake State Park

Very nice park near both Louisville and Lexington Ky. I used this park as my base camp for traveling the KY Bourbon Trail as it's kind of in the middle. Worked out great and all the bourbon makers were within an hour to hr and a half ride from the park. Very clean park with spotless restrooms/showerhouses. Large gravel sites with plenty of room for a tent or three. I was right on the lake but with the trees I couldn't see the water. Even with one night of rain all night the site drained well and I didn't have any water issues. I wouldn't hesatate to stay here again if I was in the area.

Trying to get stuff dried out a little bit.
    Kerry,
    1989 GL1500 Goldwing
    1984 VF700C aka Ye Olde MagnaWing

Re: Taylorsville Lake State Park

I hope you sipped a bit of Jim Beam for me...
    DL1000K6 (2006 V-Strom 1000)
    KLR650E9 (2009 KLR 650)

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by VTX_Driver View Post
    I hope you sipped a bit of Jim Beam for me...

Yep, and some Old Crow, Four Roses and some other good stuff....

ya Absolutely.....Really nice park.....I have some information about this park....
    Taylorsville Lake State Park is a park encompassing 1,625 acres (7 km2) in Spencer County, Kentucky, roughly between Louisville and Lexington........ Taylorsville Lake, its major feature, extends into parts of Anderson County and Nelson County...... Taylorsville Lake gains its name from the nearby town, named for President Zachary Taylor's father, Richard Taylor, who donated 60 acres (240,000 m2) of his own land for creation of the town......... The lake was created when the United States Army Corps of Engineers chose to dam the Salt River, thereby creating the lake, with its public opening in January 1983....... The dam, which measures a height of 163 feet (50 m) and a length of 1,280 feet (390 m), cost $28.8 million to build........ The resulting lake is 3,050 acres (12 km2) in total area, has 75 miles (121 km) of shoreline, and is 18 miles (29 km) long.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Nova and I visited this campground on June 12, 2016 after attending the Cherohala Chill Out.
    We shared a site in the primitive section for $17/night
    The majority of the 15 primitive sites were very shady'hike ins', with about 4 that were in the open and you could park your bike where you set up.
    Found the park to be in a state of neglect in some ways, as the garbage bins were overflowing, with some trash strewn about and appearing to have not been emptied for some time.
    Being a Sunday with no working staff visible around may have had something to do with this. (?)
    The bathrooms/shower house was adequately clean/functionable, with laundry room and vending machines at the one end of the building.
    While we went for a stroll through the camping area, we went for a short stroll along the horse trail in the horse section and scared up a skunk right alongside the trail.
    Make sure you secure your cooler lid as I was raided during the night by some coons and they were quick enough to make off with a partial package of bologna before I could get out there and secure the lid with some spare bungee cords.
    Also, the ticks there are terrible, so take precautions. I found 3 of the little beggars on me during our stay there!!

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg