Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Motorcamping on The Continent

  1. #1

    Motorcamping on The Continent (revised 11/14/08)

    Motorcamping on The Continent
    Biker-friendly places to pitch a tent, or better, in the Old Country.

    Topic header and banner images courtesy of Brian Wilson

    Those of us who've spent some bike camping time in Europe know that it can be a worthwhile experience and that it's quite a bit different than here. Generally, camping is much more popular on a percentage basis than here. Motels aren't as often found and people generally have less to spend on travel than we do.

    But like here, many regard camping as a purely fun thing to do. So it might be of interest to know about some of the motorcamping places and possibilities.

    There's no shortage of web info. on bike rentals, routes, tours and the like -- much of it tending toward hotels or other not-so-cheap digs. But there's a pretty wide choice of places catering to bike tourers that won't burn such a hole in your wallet. And because of the intense competition for the tourist's trade and more favorable light in which bikers are seen, these choices are growing yearly.

    So the following sections are camping/hostel/biker hotel reviews to kick things off. Of course, anyone who's got good skinny on places to crash (figuratively written) should jump right in. I spent around 15 years in Germany and elsewhere herding an old 75/5 around so I'll try to share pearls if it'll help -- things like what do to, what not, etc. Specific questions on bike-related overseas travel should go to one of the forum lists, however.

    So this is an invitation to all who've spent some time in Europe to share tips on places you might want to consider when you make your trip.

    And you too can, should and will make that trip!

    The Differences

    Technically, you're camping. Pragmatically, you're semi-camping. In the roughest form you'll pitch a tent and sleep in a rollup bag with a pad. The reviews in this section include both biker-exclusive and general campgrounds, but I've tried to be sure that the general grounds offer separate biker camping away from the trailer and kid-/dog-toting family campers (unless they're biking with the kids/dogs -- not likely but possible!).

    Camping vs. CAMPING

    One big difference in general camping is, some people view their camping sites as "theirs" and keep thier campsites over the years. If you look at the Wisper Park website campsite links you'll see campsites that look more like second homes: landscaping, flowers planted, etc. These people are the stationary equivalent of our Winnebago campers. They pay year-round for their established sites and keep them up like second homes or cabins in the woods here, coming back regularly year after year. They're the "old guard" at the campsite and have a certain degree of clout. So make friends with them and you just might enrich your camping experience substantially and get a free meal with a brew in the process.
    From the "Downside Dept.": This is a log I found by a Dutch couple on the BMW Adventure rider website that gives another viewpoint on pure tent motorcamping in Europe. In fairness, it paints a less-than-idyllic image of pure tenting. Ergo, I've tried to offer "upscale" alternatives that still don't break the bank: hostelling, etc. A good tip here: hit the local tourist bureau office like they did.

    Hostelling -- It's Not Just for Youth Any More

    There was a time that using "youth" hostels was a kid thing. Cheap, communal and a backpacker's refuge. That's all changed. While still oriented toward youth and retaining the moniker "youth hostel", these are a great alternative for all ages to hardcore camping while avoiding the pricey (moreso with the current poor $$ rate of $1.40+- to the Euro) full-class or pension hotel roof over the head. European families commonly use hostels for their vacation trips.

    Hostels can be pretty classy with private rooms, common TV lounges and separate smoking areas (check on the latter, though, particularly in France and other southern European countries where non-smoking restrictions aren't all the rage yet). Meals are usually "take what you get" or buffet style and prepared by the hostel staff. Many also have do-it-yourself laundry facilities.

    Hostels aren't hotels. There is a certain share-the-burden responsibility and it's a good idea to help with chores while you're there. In a camping way you should at least "leave nothing but footprints" in that you tidy up after yourself and maybe help by taking out the trash or the like. E.g., if you're doing your laundry before leaving ask if you should throw in your bedding as well before turning it in...stuff like that.

    Hostel organization membership isn't mandatory but can save you money, particularly on a multi-day trip. A number of organizations offer memberships to all ages, including Hostelling International (HI). The current U.S. yearly charge is $28 per head, $18 for those over 55. You can apparently also get a membership once you've overnighted six times at a non-member rate; they stamp your "passport" at each stop. It's not retroactive, but good for each subsequent stay. And don't assume Elderhostel membership means youth hostels.

    Most hostels take online booking through the HI or other national hostelling website. At a minimum you can pick your destination hostel on their online map and then send an email to book in advance. But don't wait until the day you need digs to book! Plan ahead, book in advance and if you change plans, cancel to avoid unused space and costs.

    A caveat: in Germany's Bavaria preference is given to those under 26. So if you're not and show up ahead of a qualifying younger person, they still get the dibs. Once again, reserving in advance is always recommended to avoid these and other kinds of unpleasantness.

    Whether in hotels, hostels or organized campgrounds, as far as meals are concerned you should accept the fact that everyone (except those camping folks with the landscaped digs and their own kitchen) chows down at the usual price-included buffet breakfast and then takes a midday break for a simple lunch (sandwich or kiosk snack).

    The evening meal, the biggie in volume and cost, is the indulgence for the day. But it's one of the highlights you went for so budget accordingly. The good old tourist menu items (usually a very substantial meat-and-potatoes meal; a draught beer is extra but cheap) at a nearby cafe or bistro will tide you over quite nicely.

    Things to Take/Not

    As a first-timer there's a tendency to take too much. As a bike camper/tourer you know better -- but if you're like me you probably still wind up packing, unpacking, culling and then repacking as you rationalize things down to what's reasonable.


    Let's proceed from this altruism: if it's available here, it's available there -- and then some! Except for individual needs such as prescription spec's. or medicines there's nothing here that you can't get there. There are supermarkets and "hypermarkts" in most western European countries that rival a super Walmart for size and variety (in fact, Walmart was there but bailed out because the competition was too much!).

    So don't load up on toothpaste or fake-a-bath. Take what you'd take to camp here and buy what you'll need there. I take about four/five days' supply of seasonally appropriate (for, say, Canada weather) skivvies, socks and outerwear. Save the bulk for your rider-specific clothing and helmet (the latter required by law everywhere). Many campsites have washing machines and dryers nowadays, and if need be you can grab a set of dainties in a local store.

    But whether it's underwear, a T-shirt or lipstick it's going to be more expensive there. Accept that as part of the trip cost; you won't be needing all that much if you pack sensibly here and buy only as needed there. Be sure you have enough med's with the related paperwork (see below) and you'll have no problem.

    If you wear corrective glasses to drive, remember to take your current prescription in case you need a replacement. Taking a backup pair is wise since replacing spec's is expensive. In fact, some countries (e.g., Switzerland) require vehicle operators to have an extra pair.


    The Essentials
    Besides the obvious (you can't even leave without a valid unexpired passport) you should have medical-related documentation (meds, prosthetics/implants/pacemaker), plus a couple of photocopies of everything. Keep the originals along with about $30 of first-country currency and ATM/money card in a Rick Steve's-style bellypack on your person under your clothing. Put sets of the copies elsewhere in each piece of your baggage. This not only covers you if you lose the originals for some reason; it also identifies any stray luggage.

    Get money from a bank ATM. Traveller's checks aren't a bad backup but they don't guarantee the best exchange rate like they once did. If you have time, ask at a bank what the rate is at the counter and at the ATM machine. Odds are the ATM has the best rate, even after the usual fee. If you'll cross currency borders, never get more of a currency than you can see yourself using. Every time you convert from one to another you lose.

    If you see yourself running low and have a day left in one currency zone, get as little cash from an ATM as you foresee needing to get you through. Using a credit card, particularly for small stuff, rings up supplemental exchange and other charges in the billing process.
    At this point (autumn, 2008) the above info. on currency vs. traveler's checks, ATMs vs. credit cards, etc., is totally up in the air. It may therefore be wise to consult your bank, credit union, or other banking agency for advice. Find someone who's recently been where you're going for the most expedient payment options. Also, tap any sources you have in your destination country/ies (bike clubs, national auto clubs such as those listed later in this article) for the latest information.
    International Driver's License
    It is strongly recommended that you get an international driver's license complete with the motorcycle endorsement. It can be had from any AAA office, among others. But please understand: the international license is NOT a permission to drive! Even though it may be required by authorities in some countries it is only a confirmation of your normal valid license. Do not assume you can use it in lieu of your normal license! And again -- duplication is advised.

    Identifying Yourself
    It is both custom and the law that anyone can ask for your identification. Whenever asked for identification you should show a copy first, then the original (the latter usually only in the presence of a witness when requested by other than the police). Almost all Europeans carry a form of ID other than a license and they are required to produce it if asked.

    But you also have a right to ask why, particularly if you see no overt reason. All this is done politely, of course. If they seem not to be polite, you still should be. It's their turf. But there's a market for US passports and licenses, so if you suspect foul play insist on having a cop present.
    Insurance: Whether renting, borrowing or buying outright make sure you clarify how and where you're insured. When renting, it's usually part of the package -- just another argument for renting. To avoid a last-minute snag, ask if a testimonial letter from your stateside insuror is needed, and what it must define. With all-inclusive bike tours (Edelweiss, Muenchener Freiheit, etc.) this is usually not required, but they don't do camping trips so when touring on your own you might need this letter. So don't forget to ask well in advance so you have time to get it.
    The Gear

    Of course, a sleeping bag, tent and soft-sided saddlebags or a stowable knapsack are the biggies. In fact, this is where you might choose to upgrade your "camping" standard a bit and do the indoors hosteling kind of trip. It adds a bit to the cost but not greatly, and lets you forego a tent and outside paraphernalia and the related drying and stowing time. But take the sleeping bag and headpad to avoid the usual extra charges for bed linens.

    If you're doing a coastal tour you might want to pack in tie-down straps for ferries. A folded waterproof rain tarp makes a good strap protector pad and can be a handy bike cover or makeshift lean-to tent later if weather gets nasty (and it will...sometime).

    If you're doubling up with others then you can spread the bulk amongst you a bit. Pack tight (you knew this...) and use a compression duffel or other space-saving trickery to reduce things to a minimum volume.

    Personally, I'd forego the cooking utensils and water filtration/purification system. Breakfast big time (it's usually in the camping/hotel charge anyway) and build a "brotchen" sandwich lunch from the leftovers for later. Bottled water is cheap and everywhere. Remember that bottle gas flasks are out by decree, even in checked luggage. If you insist on frying your own eggs, take the burner and attachments and buy the "Gaz" flasks there.

    A complement of first aid stuff is always wise. But unless you've got special needs I suggest picking up a soft-pak kit from one of the auto club stores.
    The auto clubs (ANWB in Holland, ADAC in Germany, OAMTC in Austria, ACS in Switzerland, etc.) know, care about and cater to motorcyclists' needs. On the road, they're a very useful resource for biker info., routes, construction issues, and the like.
    The helmet (at best, one you've become friends with and that fits) is a carryon. Stuff it with a personal items as per the allowable carryon rules and make sure it's in a shock-absorbing fleece or other such bag. Use it like a handbag or shaving kit.
    A BIG "BUT": Don't bother taking your helmet (or your passenger's) if it doesn't meet the European ECE 22 standard. Like the DOT marking on the back of our helmets, the ECE 22 helmet should be marked on an inside tag. So either get one here that passes or plan on getting one there that meets both the ECE 22 and (for later use here) the U.S. DOT standard.

    You WILL need that approved helmet. If you try to skate by on one that doesn't meet ECE 22 (your tour guide won't let you...) and you're stopped by the gendarmerie/polizei/etc., you can be fined on the spot and even prohibited from travelling on. Worse, if you're in Italy and they catch you, they impound your bike!
    Wear your biking jacket, riding jeans, hiking socks and boots on the flight. It saves luggage space, makes for strange looks and good conversation. Once on board, Stash the gear in the overhead, take your boots off and "sock it" until you get there. On overseas flights it's just fine to settle in and get as comfy as you can. Take some bottled water, too, if allowed. If not, ask for some ASAP after boarding.
    I like the "chainlink" security cable net from Pacsafe. Although you can't secure it to anything in flight, it discourages pilfering and keeps all your gear together. Whether flying or locking things to your bike when just traveling, it is a nice way to keep your things yours.
    Under gear one might also consider a cellphone. Europe generally has only the GSM cellphone standard. If your's isn't GSM compatible it's just dead weight. You can rent a phone with minutes by the day or week for a reasonable flat fee. Just don't run over! Plan to make one check-in call back home a week; give them your rental phone no. and let them call you for any other needs.

    Rent, Ship or Buy?

    This is a subject that could fill pages, so let's net it out in $$ terms: overseas shipping is time-consuming and expensive. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're spending a summer or longer there, are willing to part with your mount at least a month beforehand and afterwards, and are willing to pay both the shipping as well as regular insurance. As one who's shipped vehicles back and forth on three different occasions I'd avoid shipping. So many things can go awry and it can ruin a trip to uncrate your bike and find things missing or broken.

    Bottom line: rent or borrow a bike. Google up "European bike rental" and do the math. A 7-day weekly rental runs around 500 Euros, including 1000 - 1500 Km (600 - 900 miles) per week. You'll cover less ground there than here, probably no more than 200 miles daily with stops for sightseeing, lunches, coffee, etc. You might even be able to negotiate better mileage terms if it's the off season.

    If you know someone over there who trusts you (and whom you trust because they may expect reciprocation later) then pay them a reasonable rental sum for their mount. In fairness, research rental costs and compensate the loaner accordingly since insurance and all other expenses are significantly higher there than here.

    One other option is to buy a bike. If you're willing to do the net-homework, read the bike pub's (BIKE, T.W.O., etc.) and know what you're looking at then it might be worthwhile. The downside: what to do with it when you're ready to come home. And registration and insurance can be a killer both time- and pricewise, if you can do it at all!

    To my mind, the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple and straightforward) approach of renting is the best choice.
    Whenever I rent a vehicle I always ask for one that has a valid motorway/Autobahn use sticker (called a "vignette"), particularly for the Swiss autobahn since it's the most expensive. It can save you around $80. Trying to drive the Swiss autobahn without the requisite permit sticker clearly displayed on the windscreen results in a hefty fine. No one's obligated to provide you such a vehicle so smile and ask nicely--well in advance, if possible.

    These are examples of the Swiss (left), Austrian (middle) and Czech Republic (right) stickers--the Austrian example is a 10-day sticker:

    If you must buy one you can get it at any country's auto club store. They usually offer them for various countries. If you don't plan to travel on motorways, don't wait until you hit the Swiss border. At the Basel border crossing, for one, the clever Swiss let you blast down the no-toll German Autobahn and right into the checkpoint where they zap you with the sticker charge. So if the fast roads aren't in your plans, get off the autobahn approaches before the CH border and enter by another route.
    Riding Right -- Legally and Literally

    There are two aspects to riding right: riding legally and riding appropriately. The European traffic codes fill shelves. Add to that the individual country rules of the road and you fill a good-sized room. With a few exceptions, bikers must adhere to all rules applicable to other passenger vehicles.

    In most cases you can pick up on things using the old "when in Rome..." rule. Except in Rome, that Spain, Italy is downright scarey and you should err on the side of cowardice there!

    Most rules that will get you in trouble as a tourist transcend country boundaries. So let's just hit the biggies here because they'll apply almost everywhere.

    Your bike has a "dual dimensioned" speedometer (the Brits still use MPH; everyone else uses KPH) just like your car here. The difference is, KPH is more prominent. So whether it's farthings or furlongs, you shouldn't be confused.

    Speed limits are either clearly posted on the routes themselves or as you enter the country (just like most states here). The exception is entering towns in Germany, Holland and Denmark. There, the speed limit is 50 kph. The catch: it starts at the little sign telling you the town name and ends at the same sign with the diagonal stripe through the name on the outskirts. of town. You're expected to know this.

    Yes, autobahns have areas of unlimited limits. But the recommended limit in Germany is 130 kph (unlike Germany there are mandatory limits of 120 kph in Holland, lower in France, Belgium, Denmark and elsewhere). The German "unlimited" autobahn limit is becoming a thing of the past; more the exception than the rule. Unknown to many is the fact that if you exceed even the recommended limit, have an accident and survive, then you may be at least partially responsible even if you didn't transgress in any way. Hey, 130 kph is 80's vacation. Are you really in that much of a hurry??

    Passing on expressways/autobahns is where Americans usually mess up. That's because of the rule the requires overtaking ONLY on the left. So if there's a dawdler in the third lane over on a four-lane expressway, you still must pass on his/her left -- the leftmost (and fastest-travelled) lane. Passing on the right is a no-no, even though the dawdler should be way over to the right (as should you and everyone else when not passing someone). If you become a left-lane dawdler (easy to do...) and someone passes you and then cuts in right over your port bow, it's a hint to move to the right.
    The exception: sometimes like here, autoexpressway exit lanes are marked with thick broken lines. Once you reach these thick broken lines you may pass a car that's on your left in the traffic lane as you're exiting, if appropriate and safe. But suppose that vehicle suddenly decides this is their exit...?
    If you're in that leftmost lane (passing caravans of trucks, usually) and someone wants to get by you, you're entitled to stay there as long as you're passing. But only as long. If you're caught behind the "elephant races" -- trucks passing trucks ever so slowly -- just hang back and wait in the left lane. But once things open up, pass briskly and move right again. There's always a faster gun behind you!

    If the driver behind you wants to get by he/she should turn on their left blinker while riding behind you to say, "please...". Flashing the headlights is also a no-no; they shouldn't do it and neither should you. It's called "vehicular menacing" and is punishable by a fine. And flipping off along with other gestures is punishable by fine. As with almost all traffic transgressions, fines are levied on the spot.

    ...and While We're At It
    Probably the biggest faux pas committed by Americans is not signalling. Not (or incorrect) signalling is not taken lightly. When asked what the driving differences are, I net it out to two things one should do: stay to the right except when passing, and signal everything -- lane changes, when street parking (in and out) -- even when you get up from the table to go to the restroom.

    Right of Way
    I don't remember all other countries, but Germany and Holland have rules regarding the right of way that are much the same as here. Right has the right of way, usually. In major cities the right of way on thru streets is often shown by little yellow diamond signs on streetlight posts or whatever about every 50 feet or so:

    These are meant to help you decide whether you should be slowing up at intersections or not, preventing a four-wheeled enema or the like. But at the next major circle or intersection they might go away or be marked with a diagonal "end of right-of-way" stripe:

    ... so be watchful. They're not obvious.

    In general, the rule to follow is that the right of way is given, and not taken. In Holland this is actually the law; being righteous about the right of way can get you in trouble--particularly in wooden shoe country where bicycles ALWAYS have the right of way over motorized traffic no matter what they do.

    This website has a pretty good example of roadsigns. Most you know; the rest, with some study, make pretty good sense.

    Lane Jumping/Splitting
    Lan splitting is illegal most places. But you'll see it done...lots! If you're tempted by locals you're travelling with or because you're overheating, neither is an excuse but move between rows at a walking pace. Why? Because irate drivers have been known to open a door, particularly on autobahn backups. And riding up the shoulder to get ahead is also illegal although many do it to get to an upcoming exit if it's in sight.

    You can jump to the front of a line at a traffic light if you do it by legal lane splitting. This, like splitting, is optional. You can do it if you choose. Unless it's in an autobahn backup I'd opt for staying in line.

    Lands of Wine and Pilsner
    For somelier wannabes and zymurgists, the good times seem to be freeflowing. Don't be misled. Things are much stricter than impressions would have you believe. Drinking and riding can have you walking in a wink, if not in prison (e.g., Scandanavia). Being a foreigner and/or claiming ignorance is useless. You might have a beer or wine with a meal and get away free and clear but that's all you should hope for.

    If you're going to indulge then plan ahead. Most campgrounds and hotels have their own bar/restaurant. No one's going to bust you for WUIing back to your tent or room. But if it means riding down the road a piece, that could spell trouble. They don't mess around. No mickey mouse subjective walking a line, reciting the alphabet backwards or touching your nose with your elbow. Every police car carries a very scientific breathalyzer and they're not afraid to use it.

    So hang up the ride and walk to a nearby cafe or ask to have someone call a cab (most every town has at least one). The police can pull your license on the spot or worse, even for a first offense. So take the same precautions as here in MADDland.

    The Bottom Line
    When I first went to Europe the friendly natives told me that almost all rules are trumped by something that is akin to the hippocratic oath doctors take: "do no harm". If you do anything that can be perceived as causing potential or actual injury or loss to another (e.g., taking the right of way legally but as a result being involved in an accident) you are at least to some degree in the wrong.

    Things You Didn't Think Of

    These are a few things you might not expect to deal with when doing the Continent:

    • Tipping: almost all prices include the service, or "tip". If you've got a bar tab that results in some loose change under a Euro, it's nice, but not necessary, to leave it. But if it's a restaurant tab then no extra gratuity is expected. If you had a really good waitperson and you feel generous, then give them a Euro or two directly in the hand with a thank you. Never just leave it on the table.
    • Kids: as bike campers, we don't expect to find children in biker camping areas. Europeans take the kids along, so with the exception of infants (everyone on board must wear a helmet...) you might find your fellow travellers have the whole family tagging along. If this isn't to your liking, ask your hosts if you can crash on a remote corner of the premises. They'll understand.
    • Dogs: Europeans love dogs. Bike campers aren't very likely to have one along but if you're in a mixed camping area with four-wheelers they just may. As I recall, the Dutch are particularly fond of dogs.

      Now it might sound scarey, but unlike here most Europeans not only train their dogs, but they also keep them leashed (in many countries such as Germany and Holland, dogs must have obedience training and unleashed dogs are illegal). If your hosts have a dog they may let it roam the premises but they'll very likely have sense enough to keep it confined and under control. Unlike a lot of us, they don't consider their pets as children.

      So if you have a "dog thing", just let your hosts know and I'm sure they'll be more than ready to keep their charge under control. If another camper has a dog that's getting on your nerves, don't be shy about telling the hosts (politely, of course--don't wait until you're really ticked). They'll square the situation away. You have every right not to have your wheels or gear watered...

      Another thing you might not expect: dogs are generally allowed in restaurants. You'll see one or two always peeking out from under a table. I've always found them to be well disciplined and on a leash.
    • Tobacco: Europeans smoke much more and in more places than we do here. The anti-smoking push hasn't reached anywhere near the degree there that it has here. So while it may be worthwhile to ask for a non-smoking section, it'll often be futile. Those who want to avoid it can be thankful for a much greater degree of outside seating in restaurants and coffee shops. An ironic twist: you'll find smoking banned in department store sales areas -- but not in the store restaurants.

      Non-smoking accommodations aren't a given either. Commercial accommodations usually offer some non-smoking rooms, but the restaurants and breakfast rooms are a gamble. Hostels may or may not allow smoking. So whether in a hotel, hostel or restaurant, always ask: non-smokers before booking/reserving, and smokers before lighting up.

    Other Info Sources

    If you're linguistically challenged (and who isn't somewhere), there are some pretty good sources of biker camping info on the Internet that have either done the work for you or have found individual sites that speak in tongues, including English. One is:

    • MotoBOTC (UK), which covers not only most of Europe but also their home turf and some here in The Colonies besides.
    • Cellphone use or "handy" use, as Germans and others on the Continent call the thing, isn't something you can assume. Basically, it amounts to this: unless your cellphone is European GSM compatible, it's just dead weight. So if you want to stay in touch you'll have to either buy a compatible Euro-GSM-system phone (yes, America offers GSM phones but they may not jibe with European frequencies) or rent a phone there. This can get into a lot of detail so I suggest that you read the info. in the Germanophile forum/website, which is a good read and usually up to date.


    If you're willing to give it a try or can use Babelfish, a couple of good non-English sources are:

    We'll keep adding and updating as things turn up. So stay tuned...


    Last edited by webistrator; 01-27-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Removed Biker-treff info. on cartoon map, which is no longer interactively on line.

  2. #2
    Administrator Trailace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Houston, TX

    Re: Motorcamping on The Continent

    Great post thanks Webistrator!
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”

  3. #3
    Pan European st1100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    SE Bavaria, Southern Germany

    Re: Motorcamping on The Continent

    Hello Webistrator,

    a very good list of most aspects travelling Europe with a bike. From a german point of view correct and complete.

    Only regarding Autobahn/motorway-Stickers you should know, some southern countries like Croatia and Slovenia have also stickers now.
    In France and Italy you have to pay at toll stations like crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, but much more for a one-way-trip than for the yearly swiss sticker(40 Euros).
    Going from italians north border to Rome you pay about 50 Euros motorway toll with a bike.
    Same amount to cross France from Freiburg in Germany to the spanish border.

    If you don't want only cross a country, but visit it and enjoy the alpine roads for example, you need no motorway sticker for Austria and Switzerland.
    There are many beautiful roads to ride toll-free.
    But crossing large distances in Italy or France without using the money-eating motorways will cost you really double the time.

    Smoking is now (2016) banned inside bars and restaurants nearly all over Europe.
    Local rules may differ, but only in Austria I know of legal Smoking in Cafes and bars.

    36 years bike adventure - Malaguti Ronco 40 - Zündapp Super Combinette - Fantic 50 Trial - Yamaha XV 750 SE - Moto Guzzi V7 850 GT - Yamaha SR-X6 - Honda ST 1100 (1994) - ST 1100 (2001) and now a Honda GL 1800 (2001) plus a Moto Guzzi V35 (1981) - 375,000 kilometers fun

  4. #4
    Site Supporter mailman01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Leitchfield, Kentucky

    Re: Motorcamping on The Continent

    If I were planning a European camping trip, and I wish I were, a copy of all this information would be in my duffel bag...a very in depth, well presented posting. I'm not even making the trip, but did appreciate reading all the material.

  5. #5

    Re: Motorcamping on The Continent

    Great thread!

  6. #6
    Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Seattle - Now in Yuma, AZ

    Re: Motorcamping on The Continent (revised 11/14/08)

    could this information be a sticky?

    2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts