Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HF Tag-along

Re: HF Tag-along

Hello Slim and welcome to the forum. I built the little HF (40X48?) kit into a trailer for my MC trips and all I did was move the tongue up one cross brace to extend it. I'm not sure if it is done the same way with the Tag Along but I'm sure someone will be along soon to let you know. Have fun with your new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by slimspot View Post
    I just bought a HF tag along, in fact I just got home with it yesterday and it is still in the box. I will be pulling it behind my 85 Aspencade. The question I have is how much do you add to the tongue to extend it? I did buy the LED light kit, and will repack the bearings. I am open to any other tips.
    Thank you
    Pete
    2009 KLR650, 2010 Goldwing, 1980 Harley, 2012 Aspen Sentry

There are no strangers here, just friends we haven't met!

I did the measurements, and my tag-a-long was right on the money without adding any length to the tongue. Pulls great also. I do use a fish scale, and try to keep about 25-35 lbs tongue weight. - Matt

Thank you for your quick replies, My wife and I are planning a 3 week trip in June from SE MO to the Grand Canyon then up to Mount Rushmore and home. We are planning on camping the majority of the time, if I have my way it will be every night

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Looking at the product details on their web site, I see the Tag-Along is a little bit shorter overall than the trailer kit I based my HF cargo trailer build on.
    I moved the tongue to the very 1st cross member and then added a couple pieces of bed frame welded/bolted from the end of the tongue to the centre cross piece, lengthening the tongue to ensure the trailer tracked well behind my bike, which it does. I took it out for a spin empty (< 10 lbs tongue weight) and took it up to 75 mph and it tracked straight n true!
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AzUltra View Post
    I don't mean to hijack the thread but........what is the best/largest car top carrier to use. I am going to be retro fitting an old trailer similar to a tag-a-long
    I don't know if it's the "best" but I just bought this one:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SportRack-...o-Box/23578501

It is an excellent fit for my HF trailer kit but I haven't mounted it yet.
    Harvey Barlow
    2010 Goldwing & 2012 Mini Mate

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

I built my Tag Along as described in the owner's manual and hauled it 10,000 miles... wore out two sets of tires and it pulled nicely. The cooler rack added quite a bit of tongue weight, so I had to pack the back half of trailer a little heavy to account for it.

I did repack the bearings and added LED lights.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    07 Kawasaki 900 Custom LT
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter
    11 Honda PCX 125cc Scooter (hers)

Quote Originally Posted by slimspot View Post
    I just bought a HF tag along, in fact I just got home with it yesterday and it is still in the box. I will be pulling it behind my 85 Aspencade. The question I have is how much do you add to the tongue to extend it? I did buy the LED light kit, and will repack the bearings. I am open to any other tips.
    Thank you
    I left my tung as it came and I had no problem pulling it. I have pulled it behind a Sportster and a Softail. I did do alot of small mods. Check out my photo album and you can see some of my mods. I have painted my storage tubes black and added reflectors on the caps.
    Born Again. It's never to late to have a Great Childhood!

I extended the tongue of my HF Tag-Along by 24" That allowed for a cooler mount and better tracking.

As has been mentioned by others, pay attention to hitch weight: use a luggage scale or a fish scale...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bike and trailer.jpg  
    John - FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
    '03 GL1800 '08 Lees-ure Lite
    Double Darkside #1547
    GWRRA KY-G

The tagalong has a welded frame, unlike the other assemble-it-yourself trailers that you bolt together. The tongue is already welded in place. I've had mine up to FJR nominal speed with no problems. (On a closed course, with a professional driver etc.)
    2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 - Harbor Freight Tagalong trailer

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperell View Post
    The tagalong has a welded frame, unlike the other assemble-it-yourself trailers that you bolt together. The tongue is already welded in place. I've had mine up to FJR nominal speed with no problems. (On a closed course, with a professional driver etc.)
    On mine, the frame was welded, but the tongue needed to be bolted on. It fit in a square box, so I don't know how it could have been that way. Perhaps you bought an assembled one?