Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cuulz bed cot first impression

Cuulz bed cot first impression

I looked at a lot of cots online and finally bought a cuulz bed. I purchased it with the heavy-weight option as well as the 'float kit' and lounge chair strap. I've never used a cot for camping before, always been an airbed camper, but after a few episodes of leaky mattresses and dead pump batteries, I wanted to try something else.
    The cot itself is right at 100 dollars, and the 'extra' option added 39 bucks, but it was worth it. I was surprised at how thick the support rods are. Odd material, kinda like crock sticks but more like a composite. I"m 6'2" and 260lbs right now, so I put this thing together w/ every rod I could.

Assembly was pretty simple and only takes a couple minutes. Using 2 rods for each support strut, you put the legs on opposite of each other then twist so the notches are both on the same side. Attaching them to the frame is pretty easy as long as you use the right leverage. With all the rods in the cot was pretty taut and I had at least a hand-span under me at my lowest point. It was surprising comfortable, other than the slightly protruding tops of the support legs. I didn't try it with a sleeping bag or mat on it yet, I would imagine that would do very well for padding.

Using it as a reclining chair worked pretty well too. I was a bit leery of how this worked; sticking an extra support rod up into the open ends of the support legs and then putting them into a pretty thin strap, but even on a slick floor it worked pretty well. One caveat...you can't have 2 support rods going across the 1st set of legs, the chair 'legs' won't go in far enough to fit into the holding strap correctly. Other than that, it worked as advertised.

Using it as a table also worked pretty well. The 2 extra heavy duty velcro straps used to secure the bundle when rolled up are used to velcro together 2 sets of the cross bows under the bed. I managed to stack about 20 lbs of stuff on the table and it didn't show any signs of collapsing or wobbling, and that was on a slick floor. on a tarp over grass or something I would imagine it would stay put even better.

Overall I would give it a thumbs up. My bundle will be a bit thicker rolled up than the video or picture showed.. if you are only using the 6 rods, they pack up nice and tight. Since I'll be using almost double it takes a little more space, but still rolls down to a small enough bundle. Sorry for the wordy review, I just wanted to try and be thorough.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Re: Cuulz bed cot first impression

We don't believe you has it ...cuz they ain't no pictures uv it set up in any of them thar cofigurations you is jabberin about!

Now if you posted some photos of said item, set up in all it's different forms, we would appreciate it and apply it as an Addendum to your text review.
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

(Threadstarter)

I'll see what I can do about the pics.

Here is a link to ADV Rider with a review and pics:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725404
    "Four Wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul"............Ride Safe 09 F800GS
    www.justcallmewhosoever.blogspot.com

New to the forum so I'm browsing some old threads. This one caught my attention because I have this item as well and have used it on several camping trips.

I too used to go the air mattress route, but once I started camping on the bike I decided against it because of weight/size. I have found the cot + a thermarest self-inflating pad to be superior to an air mattress. The Cuulz bed is creaky when you get on/off it as it stresses the material as you move around. But it works very well. I'm 6'2" and 260lbs and it has held me just fine. I do wish it were just a tad wider, but then again at the current size, it rolls up and fits nicely inside my Wolfman dry duffle.

I originally looked at their Luxury Lite cot as that one appears superior and packs smaller, but I felt it was too expensive. This one is half the cost at the expense of a little size and weight, which was fine on the bike. The fabric is also mesh so I figured it would be a boon to not trap as much heat (I camp primarily in warmer weather). For backpacking, this one would be more cumbersome and the Luxury Lite would be much better.

Cots are supposed to go under the tent floor, but I like them inside the tent so I can put things under them to make the best use of limited tent space. In fear of the legs poking through the tent floor I did buy some rubber feet from home depot and keep them in a ziplock bag in the camping duffle. No problems yet after several uses.

If the LuxuryLite is out of your budget, I'd definitely recommend the Cuulz. I'm very happy with it's comfort and pack size.
    2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer - Graphite (current)
    2010 Honda NT700V - Silver (former)

(Threadstarter)

Cool! I think it's interesting that almost every single person I've heard of that uses the Cuulz cot is my size; 6'2" and 250+ when the company more or less markets it for lighter weight folks. They seem to think this is the ideal item for beach goers and sunbathers. I haven't yet tried the cot with a self inflating mat of any kind, but I bet that would make a good sleep great!

Good thing it comes with the "heavy duty" kit of a few extra rods!

the suspension looks like the LuxuryLite

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...3Bcat104280480

except for the shape of the legs, themselves...

btw: like the rubber crutch tip idea!

i, too, am 260# & the promise of not being wakened in the middle of the night by the ground coming up to smite me is a great +++

i splurged for the more expensive of the 2 & even went 1 step farther

i got the EXPED SYNMAT(large/wide w/ pump) synthetic fiber filled air mattress to help these old bones out

http://www.rei.com/product/780367/ex...-pad-with-pump

very happy w/ my choice, since it gives me a better night's rest than my memory foam bed at home

the EXPED mats come in hollow, synthetic filled & down filled, for folks who sleep/camp in different climates

since i MOTO-CAMP from a 650cc platform, the size issue is important

i'm betting you folks who have a larger platform a/o pull a trailer wont be as concerned about the minimal size difference

THE BOTTOM LINE, no matter how you pull it off is A GOOD NIGHT'S SLEEP

many thanks to all who TAKE THE TIME to post their reviews

i know i get little tidbits from the vast majority of them

shiny side up

sw
    Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now! steve ('08 ural gear-up, dr350, ttr230)

Friend of Bill W. LarryinSeattle's Avatar

I am watching these light weight cot reviews with great interest. I read all of the reviews at Amazon.com in regards to the UltraLite Mesh Camping Sleeping Cot by LuxuryLite. It weighs 3.75 lbs and will support up to 350 lbs.

The nuts and bolts of this for me is that it would cut 20 lbs of gear off as I currently haul a 23.5 lb camp cot... and when traveling two up, it is 40 lbs of gear alone. (trailer)

It is hard for me to give up the old military style cot and 2 inch camp pad but the weight and space is a serious consideration.

$235 x 2 = the cost of my tag along trailer.

2002 Goldwing 1800 ABS
    06 Silverwing 600cc Maxi scooter

(Threadstarter)

Larry, that was why I 'cheaped out' and bought the Cuulz bed. Less than half the price, made by the same people. it doesn't pack down nearly as small, but it does break down to about the same size as those small camping chairs and weighs less. I can say this, get the extra pieces for it, the ones that let you beef it up. I cracked a pole the first time I tried to use it camping. I was setting it up for my son and I didn't check to make sure the pole was all the way into the 'leg' and it splintered. I of course had extra poles so it was no big deal. I can tell you that as long as it's assembled correctly and the poles are all the way inserted into the holes it's solid as all get out. After I cracked the one I wanted to make sure it was ok for my son (who is as big as me) so I got rough with it. It is surprisingly sturdy. I was also very surprised at how comfy it is. I agree if they made one that was 28" wide instead of just 26" I'd be happier, but it's wide enough, and I can side sleep on it without bottoming out. I also used it as a table, the way they show in the video and was impressed with how sturdy it was that way. I figured it would weeble-wobble but it doesn't. The only thing that didn't work too well for ME was the lounge chair setup. It was fine to sit in and worked great for the lighter weight folks at camp, but for me leaning back on it at all caused the rods to bow a bit much. Now I didn't break any of 'em doing it, but it just seemed a little too lightweight to lean back on it much. You CAN prop it up against a tree and then you could nap in it as comfy as a poolside lounge chair. Sorry to babble on, just relaying some of what I found with it.