Thread: Hoback Junction, Wyoming, KOA

Hoback Junction, Wyoming, KOA

Hoback Junction, Wyoming, KOA (south of Jackson Hole). Trust us on this one: “Location” is highly overrated and seriously overpriced!! If you go to Jackson Hole and the Tetons, either stop in Dubois, Wyoming, about 60 miles east; or go on west to Victor or Montpelier, Idaho, Palisade Lake, or south to Afton or Star Valley, Wyoming; or any nearby forest service or national park campgrounds, etc. (Distances and highway safety are an issue here, so plan ahead carefully!)

The Hoback Jct. KOA campground was small and very crowded and snooty. They offered very few amenities (and a lot of attitude) and are located 15 miles south of the conveniences of Jackson Hole which is another 30 miles south of Grand Tetons NP (and 56 miles south of Yellowstone NP)—so much for their idea of “location.” (Gorgeous country like this is a must-see— the Grand Tetons are incomparable!! -- but avoid camping or lodging anywhere too close to Jackson if you respect your wallet and your personal space.)

We won't be staying at that one again.

(Teton Pass -- heading west from Jackson across the Idaho line to Victor, Idaho -- is a spectacular ride! If you ever get a chance to ride it, it's a must.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_3730.jpg   100_3765.jpg   100_3768.jpg   100_3816.jpg  
    See You down the road...
    I get to drive - She does the drive by shooting (with the camera)
    2012 Harley Ultra Classic-'14 XLHD Cargo Trailer
    Our own web page http://www.jmh-limited-editions.com/home.html

Re: Hoback Junction, Wyoming, KOA

Good info, we were riding through Jackson last year, +1 on the overpriced tourist town. We stopped at the Harley shop there in Jackson and they had no bikes, zero, nadda one, just clothes and over priced T shirts. We made base camp at Lizzard Creek campground in Grand Teton NP, one of the best camp grounds in the area. Quiet, private wooded sites and lots of wildlife come right into camp. Great review, thanks..
    "Dave"
    2017 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer
    Ride, fish, eat, camp, rinse & repeat, live for another ride

2 years ago the folks at the Eagle Rental changed my rear tire. I paid an arm and a leg for the service but the folks were great so I didn't mind paying. There are about 4 mc dealers in the area and don't try to get anything done on Monday unless you get to Eagle. Love the Tetons. Stayed at Jenny Lake Campground (tents Only) and had a fantastic view of Grand Teton from my campsite. Last year we went through the area and stayed at Gros Ventre campground not nearly as nice. We were chased out of campground by Moose acting strangely. If you are going to be going through on the Landers area I highly recommend visiting Sinks Canyon.

We stayed at Teton Valley Campground in Victor a couple of years ago, and I can't agree more with your statement of overpriced in Jackson. That said, I LOVED JACKSON!, but 20 or so miles west, over a tall pass, was a wonderful campground. We stayed in a 5th wheel, but there were tents there. Matter of fact, a serious storm blew threw one night. While walking the dogs the next morning, saw a fellow coming out of a Cabelas XTW tent, asked him if he got wet, he said he didn't even know it stormed until he woke up that morning. I bought one of those tents and have been very happy with it. We saw the Hoback campground on our way through, thought the same thing about overcrowded.
    There's just something about the sound of those pipes echoing off the canyon walls......