Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A little cargo trailer from years ago?

Sidecars Rule! ☺

Re: A little cargo trailer from years ago?

Now that someone mentioned Smitty, I seem to recall the word SmittyBilt on the wheel hubs. I have to agree, though, that mine was longer and lower than the one you posted.

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650
    (Threadstarter)

Hey Sidecar Mike,
    I just talked to a guy this morning that was in the "know" about these trailers. This guy is also looking for one of these Eagle trailers (he used to have one years ago). He told me he has went as far as contacting the guy(Smitty) who actually built the trailers in Ames IA, just recently. He ask Smitty if he still had the molds for the box but, Smitty said he had sold them long ago.
    It also seems that there were two different sizes that were made. One that was a taller box(Eagle II) and one with a shorter box(Eagle I). I now have pictures for both but, for the Eagle I the photo is not very good. The Eagle I does give the appearance of being longer but, I do not think it is.

I am in the market for either size.

Quote Originally Posted by SidecarMike View Post
    Now that someone mentioned Smitty, I seem to recall the word SmittyBilt on the wheel hubs. I have to agree, though, that mine was longer and lower than the one you posted.

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650/2006 KLX250S

Sidecars Rule! ☺

That second one you posted in the other thread looks exactly like the one I had. I thought mine was longer, but the wife says not.

I wish I could tell you what happened to it, but I traded it in on a TimeOut in Minneapolis around 90 or 91.

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Roger the trailer in the second picture that Mike refers to is the one I remember as well. I'll keep my eyes open as the swap meets should start to pick up. We usually hit a few just to see whats out there, as I have a buddy who is putting together an older bike.

Another thing you might consider is calling some of the motorcycle only salvage yards across the country to see if they have anything. You might get lucky and someone have one stuck back in a corner gathering dust.
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

I was just going through some old posts and came acrose this. I bought the molds from Smitty and was making them when the econamy went to s**t.
    I did a few changes to them. You guys are correct there was two sizes. I will try and find some picture and load them.
    I sold the molds to a guy from Indiana he told me he was the guy that first started Dart trailers. The last I talked to him he had not done any thing with them. I looked for his card with his number but could not find it.
    I'll see if I can find a number or you can contact Dart and see if they now his name.

I have one of these trailers, and I would sell it. It's not in very good condition, though. The spoke wheels are rusted and I have modified the tongue to put a cooler carrier on it. I will try to take some pictures in the next few days.

(Threadstarter)

Hey PhotoMoto43, I am interested. I sent you a message with some info.
    Thanks!!
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoMoto43 View Post
    I have one of these trailers, and I would sell it. It's not in very good condition, though. The spoke wheels are rusted and I have modified the tongue to put a cooler carrier on it. I will try to take some pictures in the next few days.

(Threadstarter)

Hey PhotoMoto43, just checking to see if you are still interested in selling your trailer as I am still interested in seeing some photos of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcrider1959 View Post
    Hey PhotoMoto43, just checking to see if you are still interested in selling your trailer as I am still interested in seeing some photos of it.
    Mcrider, Are you still looking for one of these trailers?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2432.JPG   DSCN2431.JPG   DSCN2430.JPG  

(Threadstarter)

Hey there Daverob64!
    Thanks for taking the time to post the photos! My thread on this subject hasn't seen any action in a long long time.
    Daverob64 I did finally locate and buy a Smitty built trailer. I had to drive all the way down to Hattiesburg Mississippi to get it. It cost more to go get it than I paid for the trailer but, it was a nice road trip nevertheless. I might be interested in another one tho. A good friend of mine has expressed interest in getting one. Is this your trailer?

Thanks!
    Roger