Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A little cargo trailer from years ago?

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650 mcrider1959's Avatar

Question A little cargo trailer from years ago?

I know this is a long shot but,..........years ago when I was going to BMW rallies on a regular basis, I saw a few folks pulling a cool little trailer. At the time I was no more interested in pulling a trailer than, getting a root canal done. Times have changed and a trailer seems to be something that I would like to have now.
    Unfortunately, I do not know who the manufacturer was of the little cargo trailer I remember seeing back then. I have looked around on the innerwebs but, no luck finding photos of it. So please bear with me as I try my best to describe it.
    First off, the box was fiberglass (usually black in color) and not really very big, maybe 36" to 42" long by 24" to 30" wide. For the wheels, they were small (21" maybe???) motorcycle type wire spoked wheels with fenders. I remember that the wheels/fenders actually came up above the box by a little bit. I think the axles for the wheels were about mid-way up the side of the box. The tongue on the trailer was not straight but had a slight rise in it so that it would come up to the height of the trailer hitch on the bike. In all, the trailer set low and it did not look like it would weigh that much. I do not remember if the trailer had any type of suspension or not. That is just about all I can come up with for a description.
    Like I mentioned before I know its' a looooonnng shot but, if anyone has an idea of who built these trailers or if you have pictures of the trailer, I would really appreciate any and all info.
    Thanks!!
    Roger

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650/2006 KLX250S

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Re: A little cargo trailer from years ago?

Roger if no one can come up with the name of it, I can dig through some old magazines I have in the basement. I can remember seeing the one you described advertised in the back of some of my older mags from the 80's and 90's.
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650
    (Threadstarter)

Thanks Ironheadziggy!!!!!!
    I am hope that one day I might be able to track down one these trailers as that is all I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
    Roger if no one can come up with the name of it, I can dig through some old magazines I have in the basement. I can remember seeing the one you described advertised in the back of some of my older mags from the 80's and 90's.

I did find this, it's supposed to list all the trailer manufacturers. Happy hunting!

http://aerobourne.com/motorcycletrailerindex9.htm

Let me know if you don't find it on that list, and I'll do some digging.

Hello MC Rider
    http://american-legend.com/
    Look at the American legend trailer.
    Hope this helps.

Russ

I can picture that trailer in my head ....Zig look in mags around 1980-1984
    pricey trailer back then I think it came out of Calif. it almost looked like a bicycle tires were on it although most likely they were more like something off the front of a small Honda like a CB360 whatever size tire it had

2004 FLHTC 1982 FLHP 1974 CB360 1996 Kwik-Kamp
    Life Member ABATE
    Helmet Free since 1979

1986 Concours/1999 KLR650
    (Threadstarter)

Ziggy you are on to something when you mentioned old bike magazines. I had plumb forgot about my collection of old Road Rider magazines.

I have an almost a complete archive of them from May 1974 up to when to the name changed to Motorcycle Consumer News.

I will start thumbing thru them. Looking thru these old magazines will be a nice journey down memory lane.

If I can find what I am looking for I will post it up.

Thanks!

Sidecars Rule! ☺

Quote Originally Posted by DILLIGAF61 View Post
    I can picture that trailer in my head ....Zig look in mags around 1980-1984
    pricey trailer back then I think it came out of Calif. it almost looked like a bicycle tires were on it although most likely they were more like something off the front of a small Honda like a CB360 whatever size tire it had
    Perhaps even older. If it's what I'm thinking of, I bought a used one from the Yamaha dealer in Rochester in 1976. It had a U shaped axle with stubs welded for the wheels. The stub and hub for the wheel was just below the top edge of the trailer body. Ours had turn signals on the back lower body and a single brake/Taillight centered on the back of the lid. No idea who made it.

Roger I think Larry is getting close, from what I can see in the few issues I found it looks like an older model from the California Sidecar Company. I didn't get to any Road Rider issues yet, but I'm thinking that would be the best magazine to try. I did manage to read a episodes of "The Duct Tapes" from Ed Hertfelter in some of my old Cycle magazines. Then the wife started screaming down the stairs that we were going to be late. That ended a good morning!

mcrider1959 Ziggy you are on to something when you mentioned old bike magazines. I had plumb forgot about my collection of old Road Rider magazines.

I have an almost a complete archive of them from May 1974 up to when to the name changed to Motorcycle Consumer News.

I will start thumbing thru them. Looking thru these old magazines will be a nice journey down memory lane.

If I can find what I am looking for I will post it up.

Thanks!

I did the same as you. I found two in the July '73 Travel-Light Manufacturing in Phoenix, AZ.
    Spaulding Enterprises in Martinez, CA Sidecars and Trailers.
    Honda Goldwing
    '04 Titanium ABS Double Darksider
    Member - E. CLAMPUS VITUS
    IBA, NRA, Elks, Free Gazer, and a couple others