Thread: Bopb Scott Campground - Toiyabe Nat Forest, near Austin, NV

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Bob Scott Campground - Toiyabe Nat Forest, near Austin, NV

This campground (6.5 miles east of Austin) is suitable for an overnight stay, when caught out on Hwy 50, which is called 'The Loneliest Highway in America.

The campsites are not very attractive, but most have a mature Pinyon pine, or two, for some sort of shade.

All campsites have a picnic table and a fire ring. There are a couple(?) of vault toilets and a few water spigots scattered throughout the campground. No showers, electric, or WiFi. If you are needing some supplies, the nearby town of Austin is not far away

When you enter the campground, you'll 1st pass by the group camping area on your left, which can be reserved. If it isn't reserved, you can use it. Although it sits in a bit of a 'sink hole', that area does provide more/better shade than most other sites, but just be aware that this area will collect water, in the rather rare event of rain.

Although the campground is somewhat elevated from Hwy 50 and traffic noise can be heard throughout the campground, there isn't much traffic once night falls.

Speaking of night ... amazing display of the stars are available here, as you are in the middle of nowhere and thus very little light pollution!
    I met a couple here (of all places! ) that I know from a different forum and we were watching some fighter jets maneuvering through the night sky, when they all hit their afterburners and lit up the night sky. Awesome display! (little did I know then that I would bump into and camp with them for 4 days, up in Idaho )

Because of the hot dry conditions, I chose to once again just lay my sleeping pad on top of a picnic table and 'star gaze'..

Not the prettiest campground, but it is a place to get off of the road and has decent views of the hills/mountains in the area.

Conditions when I stayed here on Aug 16, 2011. Clear, sunny and temps during the day were a very reasonable 82*. Night temps dropped to lower 60s.

Cost per Night: - $10

Campground Info: - http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/int...oiycmp.htm#bob scott

Google Maps Location: - https://goo.gl/maps/pBPEnyBCVam GPS Coordinates: - 39.457767, -116.994405

Mark and Nina

Hwy 50 - "The Loneliest Highway in America"

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Re: Bopb Scott Campground - Toiyabe Nat Forest, near Austin, NV

Nice review, Dusty.

Never stayed there, but for unknown reasons, I like Austin, NV. I'd imagine that the elevation and lack of light would make for spectacular sky watching....

just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)

Yes ... it was a very good spot for sky gazing ... one of the best areas for that which I have experienced in the lower 48.

Probably 2nd behind a 3 day backpacking trip in did in the Heart of Canyonlands NP (UT)

I was backpacking in there with two buddies, one from Denver and the other from Pasadena. Neither of them had seen a sky like we had that night.
    I pointed out to them satellites scooting across the vivid night sky. They hadn't even seen the Milky Way before!

Here's a short 'video' of that trip

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1ITP0ffwcA"]Hiking Salt Creek Canyon, Canyonlands NP - YouTube[/ame]

Great review. Although in my experience the "Loneliest Highway" would actually go to California 167 - Nevada 359 between Mono Lake and Hawthorne. Looks much the same, and I have never had another car pass me on that highway, ever. And I started to take that route in 1985.
    Life begins at 45 degrees

Re: Bob Scott Campground - Toiyabe Nat Forest, near Austin, NV

Dusty, are the temperatures always this cool at night in the months of July and August. I like to camp when pulling my trailer full of gear but when I see that the temperatures are close to 100 degrees during the day I didn't think that it cools down that much at night for a comfortable night sleep in a tent.......

Luis

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    This campground (6.5 miles east of Austin) is suitable for an overnight stay, when caught out on Hwy 50, which is called 'The Loneliest Highway in America.

The campsites are not very attractive, but most have a mature Pinyon pine, or two, for some sort of shade.

All campsites have a picnic table and a fire ring. There are a couple(?) of vault toilets and a few water spigots scattered throughout the campground. No showers, electric, or WiFi. If you are needing some supplies, the nearby town of Austin is not far away

When you enter the campground, you'll 1st pass by the group camping area on your left, which can be reserved. If it isn't reserved, you can use it. Although it sits in a bit of a 'sink hole', that area does provide more/better shade than most other sites, but just be aware that this area will collect water, in the rather rare event of rain.

Although the campground is somewhat elevated from Hwy 50 and traffic noise can be heard throughout the campground, there isn't much traffic once night falls.

Speaking of night ... amazing display of the stars are available here, as you are in the middle of nowhere and thus very little light pollution!
    I met a couple here (of all places! ) that I know from a different forum and we were watching some fighter jets maneuvering through the night sky, when they all hit their afterburners and lit up the night sky. Awesome display! (little did I know then that I would bump into and camp with them for 4 days, up in Idaho )

Because of the hot dry conditions, I chose to once again just lay my sleeping pad on top of a picnic table and 'star gaze'..

Not the prettiest campground, but it is a place to get off of the road and has decent views of the hills/mountains in the area.

Conditions when I stayed here on Aug 16, 2011. Clear, sunny and temps during the day were a very reasonable 82*. Night temps dropped to lower 60s.

Cost per Night: - $10

Campground Info: - http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/int...oiycmp.htm#bob scott

Google Maps Location: - http://g.co/maps/y428g

Mark and Nina

Hwy 50 - "The Loneliest Highway in America"

Dusty

2006-2011 HD Sportster 1200L
    2011-Present Honda GoldWing GL1800

just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)

Re: Bob Scott Campground - Toiyabe Nat Forest, near Austin, NV

Quote Originally Posted by Luis View Post
    Dusty, are the temperatures always this cool at night in the months of July and August. I like to camp when pulling my trailer full of gear but when I see that the temperatures are close to 100 degrees during the day I didn't think that it cools down that much at night for a comfortable night sleep in a tent.......

Luis
    I don't know about all the time Luis, but I was pleasantly surprised at the cooler temps for that time of year, though. Don't forget, This campground is at 7,300', which does make a difference!

It was definitely way cooler than the more southerly route, through Death Valley!

Good review.
    Gary

Darkside # 751
    May God keep us all safe, and full of love.
    2016 Road Glide, and 2014 piggy back cargo trailer