Thread: Summit Lake P.P.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Thumbs up Summit Lake P.P.

This is a hidden gem of a campground, located near Nakusp, BC, in what is known as the West Kootenays Region of BC.
    It would make an ideal base camp for exploring all the great roads in this area, with many loop rides close at hand in what is IMHO, BC's best riding area. Great roads, great scenery and quite a few Hot Springs nearby (for an unusual/unique Hot Springs, try Ainsworth! {cost was $11 at time of vist, if you brought along your own trunks}) to soak those aches and pains away.

All ferries in the area are free and have GREAT views of the mountains!

Do be cautious when riding in the area as there are plenty of deer/elk and bears that run out on the roads. So a word to the wise!

This quiet little campground is located along Hwy 6 at the height of land, on a lake with a great backdrop of the Selkirk Mountains.

Each campsite has a picnic table and fire ring. Water is available and to my surprise, what I thought was just another typical BC Parks outhouse turned out to have flush toilets, a sink, a light and the young camp hosts even had fresh cut wild flowers in a vase inside. Needless to say, they were spotless. There are no showers, but you can 'rinse off' by taking a dip in the lake.

Time of our visit was July 12, 2011

Conditions during our visit was sunny, with clear skies and temps were in the 85 - 90* range

Summit Lake PP Info: - http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...pgs/summit_lk/

Cost Per Night: - $21

Google Maps Location: - http://g.co/maps/g288a

For some more photos of the area and day ride loop route suggestions, see my post in the review of another campground (not as nice) nearby -HERE!

Stunning area of BC to spend a week in and one of the nicest little campgrounds to use as a home base!

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Re: Summit Lake P.P.

When I was planning my trip out west, this was the area I decided to go thru on the return route home..too bad I had to cancel last year..that was gonna be my dream trip of a lifetime.. SIGH...I love hottubs and those 7 spas or some of them were on my list of places to stop to soothe achy muscles...

just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)

Got to be Optomistic and Upbeat, Linda

Add that trip back on to your 'Bucket List'. T'is healthy to have 'Goals'!

Spending a couple of weeks in BC and the Canadian Rockies truly is a 'Trip of a Lifetime'!

Beautiful camp photo, the lake looks like I would need to bring some fishing rods. Just added it to my list, thanks.
    "Dave"
    2017 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer
    Ride, fish, eat, camp, rinse & repeat, live for another ride

Great shots Dusty , I have to get up there!