Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towner City Park, Towner, ND.

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Towner City Park, Towner, ND.

This is a small, multi use town park, located 13 miles west of Rugby, ND. (Geographical Centre of North America) that is free.
    It has roughly 6 undesignated campsites on the grassy lawn, that had electric with plenty of room for tenting if no electric was needed/desired.
    It is accessed from a side street, just off of the main street.
    It has a fairly large sheltered picnic area, picnic tables, washrooms, potable water, electric, but no fire rings, or showers.
    Close to a gas station and just down the street of a grocery store. Residents in the area were respectful of you being there and were not 'nosey' at all. It was actually fairly quiet.
    Conditions when we stayed there (July 5 2011) was sunny, with temps near/slightly over 100*
    Nice little spot for an overnight stay, as there isn't much else in the nearby area.

Cost per night: - FREE

Park Info: - http://freecampsites.net/towner-city-park/

Google Maps Location: - http://g.co/maps/335qd

Dusty
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Re: Towner City Park, Towner, ND.

I stand completely amazed that a "man from Canada" has seen and traveled more of "my country" than most people who live here have......or ever will for that part! "Welcome to Ammmmmmerica"!
    "Four Wheels move the body; two wheels move the soul"............Ride Safe 09 F800GS
    www.justcallmewhosoever.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    This is a small, multi use town park,
    Nice little spot for an overnight stay, as there isn't much else in the nearby area.

Dusty
    Say ... We've stayed over night there before ...

G

I've done so much with so little for so long ... Now I can do nearly anything with almost nothing.

That's less than 400 miles away from me. Sounds like I might have to do a weekend trip there this summer. Thanks Dusty!
    uıɐƃɐ ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ןן,ı

1940 Indian Scout "Peaches"

just another Saddle Tramp
    (Threadstarter)

It ain't no 'Destination Park', Tim!!!

Just a spot to pitch your and catch some while riding that long stretch of Hwy 2.

Actually, when we were there, there was flooding going on just west of town and Hwy 2 and all area roads west of there were shut down, so we had to back track to Rugby and take an alternate route/detour south, which ended up adding 4 hours to our next campsite, west of Havre,MT. A long day, with it taking us just over 15hrs/600mi to reach there.
    Got caught up in a frog strangler en route while on the detour. We pulled over and got 'geared up' just in time.

Yup .... nothing like a fast moving storm on the high plains!

I really like the cost! I'll be in the neighborhood this summer, I might stop in...

Does this qualify as a 'stealth spot'? I just can't help myself, sometimes!

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigTom View Post
    Does this qualify as a 'stealth spot'? I just can't help myself, sometimes!
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

After seeing your pictures Dusty I would have to say your right! Thanks for setting me straight.

I'm sitting at a picnic table in the Towner, ND park. The place is fairly nice. There are 2 small travel trailers here, and there were 2 bicycle tenters here last night. They were gone when I got up. I like the price! There are a couple of issues though. The family living across the street let their small children run around outside, screaming, until almost midnight! And the restrooms are not very nice, well not today anyways. But for the price, I really can't complain.

To be fair..... 15 minutes after posting the above review, a city crew came out to clean the restrooms, empty the trash and cut the lawn.....

I grew up (1955-1961) in Rugby. Many nice little towns in that neck of the woods. There is a motel next to the truck stop on the NW corner of US2 & 3 that has cheap camping. They must have showers or I would have remembered it - hate going without.

Also when I passed by Harvey (south of Rugby on highway 3) I noticed a city campground on a trip to Duluth to circumnavigate the Great Lakes (all of them). Start and finish in Duluth in 100 hours or less.

When I was in Rugby High School, me and my buds would cruise Harvey, Towner and Botineau ND in seach of girls to harass in my 1948 Chevy. Ahh, memories of below zero winters and hot steamy summers.
    Aspen Classic Camper, 06 GL1800

My Pics: http://www.picturetrail.com/bvail My trailer forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing