Thread: Dauphin Island, AL

Dauphin Island, AL

I was curious has anyone has camped at Dauphin Island, Alabama..
    I was looking at some routes and it seems there is a pretty nice campground across the street from the Dauphin Island/Ft Morgan Ferry...

Re: Dauphin Island, AL

Quote Originally Posted by RCLafnjack View Post
    I was curious is anyone has camped at Dauphin Island, Alabama..
    I was looking at some routes and it seems there is a pretty nice campground across the street from the Dauphin Island/Ft Morgan Ferry...
    Jack,

I stayed there last year in October. The campground isn't a bad little place the sites seema bit small but they were big enough for me. There were a couple of times I went to there beach and was the only one there, very nice. I sat out there one evening and called the wife, it was a solo trip, watching the sunset over the natural gas rigs and a pod of dolphins swimming by. The bath house was decent though dated. And I never did find the 16' gator that lives in the pond nearby, though I did try hard. I spent two nights there and would go back again. There's a resturant on the Island I can't remember the name of right now but will look it up that I got really bad service at and would not go back. As your coming on to the island on the bridge there's a resturant on the left that came highly recommended, it was closed for the season when I was there.

After I left there I went to Gulf state park in Gulf Shores for a few nights. A much better campground MUCH nicer faculities, like new, and also quiet. I don't know what your schedule is like but if you hold off until around the 14th of October the shrimp festival is going on in Gulf Shores. There will be a bus that runs from the gulf state park to the fest for a dollar each way. Allowed me to go and drink HEAVILY and not worry about my bike. The water in Gulf Shores seemed warmer that in Dauphin Island as well. If you get a chance the Naval Avation Museum is in Penscola, FL a couple of hours away and worth going to. I never made it to battleship park though I want to someday. The Florabama was a dive and I absolutly LOVED it. I also went to LULU's which was a bit pricy and commerical but I enjoyed it as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll do my best to help.
    George

I just remembered, and I didn't even have to look it up, The Oar House - that's the resturant I got really bad service at on Dauphine Island. Got a beer and some fried crab claws. The beer was about half gone before the claws came out which was scaldingly hot so I could really have used another beer but I never seen any of the wait staff again until I was completely done. Took forever for the check to get there and forever for her to take my money and I thought the claws were very overpriced. I might have just hit them at a bad time, it was off season, but they won't get another chance from me.

George

Thanks.. I will be passing through there first part of May..

Frome what I have seen on Google Earth it looks pretty nice..

Quote Originally Posted by RCLafnjack View Post
    Thanks.. I will be passing through there first part of May..

Frome what I have seen on Google Earth it looks pretty nice..
    It's not bad. I wouldn't call it run down but it is showing its age a little bit. I would stay there again. The staff I had the pleasure of talking to we very friendly and had a few suggestions for places to eat.

I do think Gulf Stat Park is the nicer campground though.

Either way you'll enjoy your visit there.

George

camped with family last thanksgiving. They re-did the showers. They definitely needed it. Older CG but lots of sites. Designated tent area. 100 yard stroll to the beach. Beautiful sunset on the beach. Trees block it in the CG.

If you haven't visited Fort Morgan, be sure to do so while you're there. I did a sailboat crossing of the gulf (Tampa Bay to Houston), and we ended up having to put in at Dauphin Island because of mechanical problems. The cook and I visited Fort Morgan while the boat was being worked on (the other two guys slept), and I was totally impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by GMiller64 View Post
    Jack,

I stayed there last year in October. The campground isn't a bad little place the sites seema bit small but they were big enough for me. There were a couple of times I went to there beach and was the only one there, very nice. I sat out there one evening and called the wife, it was a solo trip, watching the sunset over the natural gas rigs and a pod of dolphins swimming by. The bath house was decent though dated. And I never did find the 16' gator that lives in the pond nearby, though I did try hard. I spent two nights there and would go back again. There's a resturant on the Island I can't remember the name of right now but will look it up that I got really bad service at and would not go back. As your coming on to the island on the bridge there's a resturant on the left that came highly recommended, it was closed for the season when I was there.

After I left there I went to Gulf state park in Gulf Shores for a few nights. A much better campground MUCH nicer faculities, like new, and also quiet. I don't know what your schedule is like but if you hold off until around the 14th of October the shrimp festival is going on in Gulf Shores. There will be a bus that runs from the gulf state park to the fest for a dollar each way. Allowed me to go and drink HEAVILY and not worry about my bike. The water in Gulf Shores seemed warmer that in Dauphin Island as well. If you get a chance the Naval Avation Museum is in Penscola, FL a couple of hours away and worth going to. I never made it to battleship park though I want to someday. The Florabama was a dive and I absolutly LOVED it. I also went to LULU's which was a bit pricy and commerical but I enjoyed it as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll do my best to help.
    George
    didn't camp on DAUPHINE ISLAND but agree w/ GM about GULF SP

that place is very nice & the ferry ride is worth the price of the ticket

btw, the ferry ticket, for a m/c is good for the return trip, also

that country, down there, is beautiful

sw
    Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now! steve ('08 ural gear-up, dr350, ttr230)