Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kelty tarps

(Threadstarter)

Re: Kelty tarps

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Traveler View Post
    Finally got to try out my fathers day present this weekend. I believe it to be one of the best additions to compliment any tarp. My daughters bought me a 10' X 8' camo tarp. For once this New Years was HOT! Mid 80's with a sun that was very intense. Shade was a very much needed thing and I alway's bring some along only this time I brought along something a little different. Was easy to attach with just a short piece of rope mostly using the rings that came on each corner hooking them on the top of each pole and at the tent stakes. I have plns of adding a few of those cheap careeners to make it even easier.

I believe this particular piece of camo was in the mid 30 dollar range. Its the smallest one offered up at my local Army Navy store. Worked out so well I plan on adding at least 2 more so I can cover at least one more side of the tarp. Packs small stuffed in its own provided stuff bag taking up very little room.

Best part is that it provides shade yet allow the breeze to still pass through.

I give it a 2 up.
    I saw a great camo setup at the river and they said princess auto has it.. theirs was a dark camo and I can tell ya it added a ton of shade and coolness to the army booth!

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
    I purchased a 16 Kelty Tarp this past winter and just set it up this weekend. (Still weekend!)
    I am very impressed so far.
    Just be sure you don't use the grommets to stick your tarp poles into, as the material won't take much tensioning without ripping out the grommet when you tension the pole's guy out lines!

Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg

Originally from Battle Creek Michigan, I now reside in Indianapolis Indiana

I appreciate the heads up Dusty!

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post
    Just be sure you don't use the grommets to stick your tarp poles into, as the material won't take much tensioning without ripping out the grommet when you tension the pole's guy out lines!

I didn't Dusty!!! Thanks to your earlier posts. Thanks! 👍
    The deepest spot in Lake Superior, The largest of the Great Lakes is 1,333 feet or about 222 fathoms. This profound depth could easily contain the entire 1,250' Empire State Building, even with a 50-foot-tall King Kong perched atop.

We bought a 12 X 12 Kelty tarp and I tried setting it up once here at the house. I used four poles and it seemed OK. We will have it with us at the Chill out and would appreciate some hints on the proper use and setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    We bought a 12 X 12 Kelty tarp and I tried setting it up once here at the house. I used four poles and it seemed OK. We will have it with us at the Chill out and would appreciate some hints on the proper use and setup.
    Dusty is your man. He sets up the sharpest, tightest tarps I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Boots View Post

After a few years of use I did this with the corners on my 12' Noah. Should be good for a few more years to come.

.050 aluminum and rivets.
    Keith R.
    Sun City, SoCal
    05' Honda GoldWing
    AKA ownst100 STOC 1211