Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kelty tarps

Kelty tarps

or the like... opinions please on value to keep tent/self/bike,etc dry....weight and compactness for bikecamping..size for a small 2 person dome tent...ease of putting up.. i can be braindead when it comes to that..have not tarped properly before..YOu guys saw 1st hand where my tarp came to rest at the Northwoods campout! HaHA!!....and where to buy for a good price...thanx!!

Re: Kelty tarps

Quote Originally Posted by kayakinbiker View Post
    and where to buy for a good price...thanx!!
    so far for tarp and staff's it looks like Amazon fits the bill all around

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-4198100-Noahs-Tarp/dp/B001M0NRG6"]tarp[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Adjustable-Tarp-Pole/dp/B003BZY0I4/ref=pd_sim_sg_1"]staff[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Staff-Pole/dp/B004K85TU4/ref=pd_sim_sg_2"]poles[/ame]

Steve
    2012 BMW R1200GS
    1994 Honda XR250R

I bring along 2 tarps. One a Kelty 12' Noah's tarp. The second a footprint for an REI Hobitat 6. Use to have one of the 16' Kelty Noah's tarps but had a problem at the BMW national in Redmond Or. last year, too much wind and not enough rope/tie down stakes. The 16' is a special internet only

Here's the Hobitat footprint setup. I like this one a lot as its dark in color and makes great shade because its dark in color.

Priced just under $40 a few years back. Has gated D-rings in the corners on straps that make it easy to take down fast should the winds get strong enough you start to worry about it.

Noah' Tarp by Kelty. When setup properly this tarp can withstand a lot of wind. I use 2 different size poles with 1 inch adjustable nylon straps (2 of them) on each corner.

This setup wasn't cheap poles alone were just under $100. Another thing that makes it all work is BIG tent stakes and a lot of rope. If you can't hold it down your just waisting your time. In my rope bag I have several hundred feet of parachute cord. Its cheap ( don't be afraid to cut it up ) and available in different colors, I favor the orange.
    Keith R.
    Sun City, SoCal
    05' Honda GoldWing
    AKA ownst100 STOC 1211

Thanks Keith, at MOA this year my tent took some winds about 50 mph and I just had it staked now around the edge but I did have to stand to one side for a bit to help keep it in place.

where do you get your parachute cord?

Quote Originally Posted by Tx White Knight View Post
    At one of my favorite places, REI

I bought both tarps, all the poles, and cord at REI.

http://www.rei.com/product/799630/pm...ckage-of-50-ft

Hmmm...there's a sky diving airport down the street. Maybe I can get some old cord and chute material...

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Traveler View Post
    At one of my favorite places, REI
    I bought both tarps, all the poles, and cord at REI.
    Good deal Keith, there is a REI just past a good mc store MotoLiberty. sound like something i can check out next weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Tx White Knight View Post
    Thanks Keith, at MOA this year my tent took some winds about 50 mph and I just had it staked now around the edge but I did have to stand to one side for a bit to help keep it in place.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...=0CIQBEPICMAU#

or this

http://www.parachute-cord.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kayakinbiker View Post
    or the like... opinions please on value to keep tent/self/bike,etc dry....weight and compactness for bikecamping..size for a small 2 person dome tent...ease of putting up.. i can be braindead when it comes to that..have not tarped properly before..YOu guys saw 1st hand where my tarp came to rest at the Northwoods campout! HaHA!!....and where to buy for a good price...thanx!!
    I just ordered a Coleman 4 Pole Sun Shade. It measures 14' x 12' x 7.5'
    Shipping weight is 11.8 lbs. Price by ordering from WalMart was $52.87 including tax with free shipping. Hopefully I will be able to try it out while at the Triumph Rally in New York.
    I will post some pictures of it after it gets here. Here is a link to the Coleman Website: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...tegoryid=11050

I needed something to replace the pop open canapy that was damaged while out in Sturgis, SD this summer. One day I came back and found it lodged in some trees (I neglected to stake the feet down) which bent one of the legs. While straightening the leg it fractured. I set it back where it belonged and drove the stakes into the feet. The next day we had a hail storm that shreaded the canvas. I gave the canapy to a group that had come in just before I left and told them to do with it as they wished. LOL I thought it was too heavy anyway. That saved me over 50 lbs of weight in my trailer on the way home.
    We ride because we can .... Victory Hammer with Trans Moto Sidecar, Kompact Kamp Mini Mate

Finally got to try out my fathers day present this weekend. I believe it to be one of the best additions to compliment any tarp. My daughters bought me a 10' X 8' camo tarp. For once this New Years was HOT! Mid 80's with a sun that was very intense. Shade was a very much needed thing and I alway's bring some along only this time I brought along something a little different. Was easy to attach with just a short piece of rope mostly using the rings that came on each corner hooking them on the top of each pole and at the tent stakes. I have plns of adding a few of those cheap careeners to make it even easier.

I believe this particular piece of camo was in the mid 30 dollar range. Its the smallest one offered up at my local Army Navy store. Worked out so well I plan on adding at least 2 more so I can cover at least one more side of the tarp. Packs small stuffed in its own provided stuff bag taking up very little room.

Best part is that it provides shade yet allow the breeze to still pass through.

I give it a 2 up.