Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Four Camping Pillows Reviewed

Four Camping Pillows Reviewed

I know this is arguable, but I would say that the most important piece of gear for me, in terms of a good night's sleep, is my pillow! I've tried a number of them so I'll review them here.

1. Field and Stream (Dick's Sporting Goods) -- I actually like this one because there's just enough loft to suit me and it has different textures on either side. One side is smooth and silky, the other side is flannel.

2. Thermarest -- These are widely available (Academy Sports, REI, etc.) and are decent quality. They offer a little more loft and support than most of the others, without requiring to be blown up with air. Pack size is pretty good too.

3. Sleeping Giant (Big Agnes) -- This one is especially good if you have a Big Agnes sleeping bag. Like the integrated sleeping pad, there is a sleeve at the head of their bags for this comfy pillow. It only takes a couple of puffs to inflate and has a foam pad so it's quite comfortable.

4. Luxury Pillow (Sea to Summit) -- These aren't easy to find and aren't cheap either. But man oh man! Self-inflating and padded too. Packs small and is comfortable enough to use at home! Worth every penny, IMHO.

David
    2014 Street Glide Special

Re: Four Camping Pillows Reviewed

I have used two diffrent ones this year. The first was a Kelty Camp Pillow from Target that was about $10.00. Packs up nice and small with the included stuff sack. Decent size but way to soft for my liking.

Then thanks to some recomedations here I picked up the Magellan Outdoors Self Inflating Pillow from Academy for $6.99. Very nice piece of kit. Packs up to about the size of a beer can with the included mesh stuff bag. Easily adjustable firmness with adding just a little air. The only downfall is it's really hard to get back in the little bag, so I use a nylon drawstring bag that I scavanged from work that was originaly for a telephone headset. Works like a charm.

Kerry,
    1989 GL1500 Goldwing
    1984 VF700C aka Ye Olde MagnaWing

You guys have room for a pillow? I just bring a travel pillow protector http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=109101 and stuff it with t-shirts, believe it or not I actually prefer hard lumpy pillows.

SCRC Ch. 183 N. Atlanta quadancer's Avatar

I need thickness. I have the second one in your pics (blue) and I put clothes underneath to lift it up. The foam pieces compress in it down into a large softball for travel. All fits in the Big Agnes pillow space. But you haven't lived until you put a Big Agnes bag into it's stuff sack with a pillow inside. Try it. I dares ya!
    If'n ya boards ain't a-sparkin',
    then you is just a-parkin'!

DARKSIDE RULES!

Sidecars Rule! ☺

Chiroflow. It is a memory foam pillow that has a reservoir you fill with water. You can make it as thick or thin as you want it. Packs really flat. I use a big one on the bed at home, and a small one in the camper.

My woman. Nice & soft. Adjustable, too. She doesn't pack up quite as small as a beer can, though.

Cute Motorsyko! HAHA!!! I bought this weird adjustable foamy filled pillow in a drug store 1 year and have used it many years.. washes up, cover all..I think it has some sort of pellets in it...it packs down into my H2Wheels bag like a charm!

SCRC Ch. 183 N. Atlanta quadancer's Avatar

I thought to put up a pic of a blow-up doll here, but then I realized a.) I don't have one and b.) that would be ultimately tacky...

I've tried 2 of the pillows tested here. Both were somewhat undersize for me. Got to thinking, i've got a trailer and now bring a medium full size pillow. Roll it up somewhat tight and in a stuff bag.

Works for me.
    Keith R.
    Sun City, SoCal
    05' Honda GoldWing
    AKA ownst100 STOC 1211

I like the big agnes sleeping giant pillow ... especially when stuffed into my ba bag, as quad said. If I had room (trailer or solo) though I would bring a full size pillow.
    2014 Harley Ultra
    2014 Honda CB500x
    2011 Bunkhouse