Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Upgraded Your Tent?

Re: Upgraded Your Tent?

Here's what i went with this year. I like my old Coleman hooligan 3 but I was tired of climbing on the ground to get in. So I went this route. It is big enough for the wife and I and all our gear, plus it has a small vestibule. Well I don't know why my photo is not showing up? When I bring up my edit function it shows the img. link there.
    Born Again. It's never to late to have a Great Childhood!

I just got the Coleman 6 Person Instant Tent a few days ago. It was on sale for $90.00.
    Haven't had time to get it out of the box yet and see how "instant" it really is, though.
    Hoping that it sets up and tears down as easily as the demo video shows.

Allan

Started with a two man tent. Was really made for a very small person. Upgraded to a four-man tent... was okay for one man. Two men and it became crowded. Now have an 8 man tent and it is great. No more "dinkies" for me. My camping buddy and I now have room for two queen size air mats plus a bunch of other stuff. For tent camping, it is the Cat's Aunt Jane.

I've used the same Kelty Salida 2 for years now. A few weeks ago I sprung the money for a new Kelty Trail Ridge 3. WOW. So much more room in this tent. I'm keeping the Salida 2 for lighter weight camping but the Trail Ridge 3 doesn't really take up that much space compared to the Salida 2.

I'm looking to upgrade my Sundome 3 for something with a much taller center height. While I like 7X7 layout, the 48" height is a killer for a 6' +, 250#, 65 year old fat boy. My camping is always just myself here in South Texas so a 3 season works fine. Also, I don't have a trailer so I need to be able to strap it on the luggage rack. What have you guys found that works for you and doesn't break the bank? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGringo View Post
    I'm looking to upgrade my Sundome 3 for something with a much taller center height. While I like 7X7 layout, the 48" height is a killer for a 6' +, 250#, 65 year old fat boy. My camping is always just myself here in South Texas so a 3 season works fine. Also, I don't have a trailer so I need to be able to strap it on the luggage rack. What have you guys found that works for you and doesn't break the bank? Thanks in advance.
    Well we got the rei kingdom 6 but for less people the kingdom 4 would work well and has 6' plus headroom.
    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800,2001 Honda Shadow VLX, 1970 Honda Passport 70
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 175
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

just another Saddle Tramp Dusty Boots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldGringo View Post
    Depends on what you consider breaking the bank?

I guess it depends on how much you actually use the tent every year.

To me, that would mean keeping the price to $450, or less, while to you it could mean keeping it under $100. - How about giving us a price point

Be aware that your inexpensive Coleman Sundome 3 actually has an interior height of 52", so the next step up would be 72"/6' and that means a couple of things.
    You'll have a larger 'sail area' for the wind to catch, so you'll want a stronger frame to withstand those stresses. (think aluminium)

A larger packed size due to longer poles.

Possible more complicated/longer set up procedure.
    Ken - 1992 Honda GL1500 Aspencade 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
    Camping Styles - tent camp off of bike - 2013 HF Cargo trailer - 2011 Aspen Sentry
    "It's never too early to plan and never too late to go!" - Dusty
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8518/8390110233_2a7d94ec03_m.jpg