Thread: Mono Creek Campground, Edison Lake

Mono Creek Campground, Edison Lake

Just got back from a wonderful adventure in California. July 22nd my riding partner Ed Skvor and I headed north from Rancho Cucamonga up to Edison Lake which is in the Sierra's east of Fresno California. For a point of reference Edison is in a chain of lakes that goes from Shaver Lake (lowest), Huntington Lake (middle) and Edison Lake 7200ft up.
    The road to Huntington is SR-168 and a nicely and newly paved road. From Huntington Lake to Edison Lake about 14 miles the road thins to one lane, paved, but very rough. We rode up to the Mono Creek Campground on a Royal Star Tour Deluxe pulling a HF-Tag Along and a GoldWing. When riding a large bike the road is a challenge. Taking you up through Kaiser Pass 9200ft. The road is a hard ride. BUT. When you get to the campground (mono creek) you find a lovely wooded WELL cared for Campground with 13 sights

(reservation through the National Forest Service). There is no water, no electric and Vault Toilets) that being said The Camp Host (Sandy) has those vault toilets spit shined. I have never seen one that clean.
    The campground is about 500 ft from mono creek lake a small holding dam about 2 miles below Edison Lake that is ripe for fishing.

Riding from the campground up to Edison which is a HUGE lake built by and maintained by Southern California Edison.

There are 2 small stores in the area "Mono Hot Springs" 4 miles down the hill, has basic stuff, ice, water, bait,etc. A small restaurant and hot baths. Vermillion Valley is at Edison lake (dirt road so we didn't venture to it) with the same basic services.

The road up to mono creek is not for the feint of heart. When opposing traffic is encountered, the someone has to move theory is evoked. As you squeeze by each other. Sometime Logging trucks can make it a challenge.
    For those that Persevere to the campground, its a pure joy..

Date of visit:
    July 22nd - 25th 2011

Weather:
    fair weather, clear 70's not even a cloud

Campground Condition:
    Small Campground 13 sites, Nice primitive, no water, electric. Vault Toilets,

The entrance road is really rough paved, single lane. 10-20 mph 14 miles from Huntington Lake.

Area Attractions:
    Mono Hot Springs (hot sping bath, restaurant, small store)
    Virmillion Valley @edison lake, Same as Mono Hot Springs, Dirt road to get to it.

Area Riding:
    From Huntington Lake its 14 miles of badly pave road. Below Huntington Lake its a beautiful road "SR-168"

Re: Mono Creek Campground, Edison Lake

THAT is MY kind of camping and c/g! Gorgeous!!!! Thanx for posting!

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Awesome pics, looks like you had a great time!
    Steve

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

(Threadstarter)

I'm getting ready to post from the 2nd campground I went to.. Mosquito Lakes on SR-4 east of Arnold, Ca... that place made this look like a slum...LOL...

(Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironheadziggy76 View Post
    Awesome pics, looks like you had a great time!
    This is the most beautiful place I've ever camped

http://www.motocampers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4228

Great Pics- I think I caught a nice Brown by the log in the water on the third picture. Drove up there with a buddy in a truck- would not want to duplicate that again. That road gets real narrow when you have to get around a vehicle coming from the opposite direction. I have also caught fish at the Protal Forbay that is along the road to Edison. They actually stock that little "lake".

I've seen really large bears at Edison Lake and hunted and taken a nice buck at Jackass Meadows. Tell everyone it is horrible so they won't go and so it doesn't get over crowded. One of my favorite close secret places.