Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camp cot or Air bed ?? what say you??

Camp cot or Air bed ?? what say you??

I am trying to upgrade the comfort of tent camping.
    So far I have been sleeping on the ground with a couple of ensolite pads below me.
    What I want to do is get off the ground for summer and fall camping in PA and WV.
    The choices seem to be a low profile camp cot or an inflatable single bed.
    The camp cot will still need a sleep pad of some sort under my sleeping bag.
    The air bed will not need a pad but will need a 12v pump and a jumper to the bike battery for inflation.
    I think the airbed will pack smaller but not lighter. Airbed less expensive at Wallyworld.

What is your preference and experience???

Thanks.
    Haze

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Re: Camp cot or Air bed ?? what say you??

Haze I have a bad back, so I use an air mattress. I have an old Sevylor that has a built in pillow, but they are no longer made. I also have a Coleman single air bed from Target that is my standby for when we camp at motels. A lot of people find air mattresses cold to sleep on in colder weather, but I've had no problems down into the 20's with mine using a 15 degree bag. I have a 12v pump that I use, but I also have a 4 D cell pump that works well from Coleman and is not much bigger, but a little heavier if weight is an issue. They are small enough that I usually carry both just in case one fails.
    Sarcasm: Just one of the many free services I provide.

2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

I use both actually. A few years ago I purchased a cot from Aerostich http://www.aerostich.com/high-tech-cot.html and use it with my Thermorest mattress. It's not a cheap set-up but it is compact enough for me to pack on my bike as well as help me with a good nights sleep. I too have had problems with my back and this combination seems to work for me.
    uıɐƃɐ ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ןן,ı

1940 Indian Scout "Peaches"

We got queen size from Wal-mart over 6 years ago, and it came with an AC/DC rechargable pump. Love it, and use it for every trip we take.

I use a twin size Coleman air mattress from Wally world with a cheep $5.00 fitted sheet. I then use either a 4d cell pump or if I know I will be somewhere with electricty I have a 110v pump for it.
    Kerry,
    1989 GL1500 Goldwing
    1984 VF700C aka Ye Olde MagnaWing

Nothing beats an EXPED insulated air mattress. I use their Synmat 9. 3.5 inches of pure comfort. Insulated so you never feel the cold ground coming through. Has a built-in pump and is about the size of a can of coffee when packed away. Having had 2 back surgeries im carefull about how and what I sleep on while camping. I can honestly say I sleep better with my Big Agnes Park Series bag and Exped mattress than I do at home. Sure it cost a bit more but its money well spent.
    Keith R.
    Sun City, SoCal
    05' Honda GoldWing
    AKA ownst100 STOC 1211

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Traveler View Post
    Nothing beats an EXPED insulated air mattress. I use their Synmat 9. 3.5 inches of pure comfort. Insulated so you never feel the cold ground coming through. Has a built-in pump and is about the size of a can of coffee when packed away. Having had 2 back surgeries im carefull about how and what I sleep on while camping. I can honestly say I sleep better with my Big Agnes Park Series bag and Exped mattress than I do at home. Sure it cost a bit more but its money well spent.
    I'll second the EXPED air mattresses.
    I have the EXPED 7 DLX, that I use when not tugging the camper.
    Inflates quickly and sleeps very well ...
    They come up for auction on ebay quite often, and can most times be gottern at a very reasonable price.
    Got mine there used, but like brand new, for $45.00

G

I still like my Self-inflating air mattress from REI. It does not let the cold get up from the ground. Main issue with it is that it is big when rolled. ( about 24 x 7 )
    When my wife and I were camping last month we used a queen inflatable coleman. I have a wool sleeping bag liner I took the outer stiching out of to make a blanket. We put it on the air mattress then a sheet and that worked to keep the cold from the ground coming through. It was about 34 degrees and raining on Mt. Rainier when we camped there. Not my most fond memory of the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Traveler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by G wizz View Post
    I'll second the EXPED air mattresses.
    I have the XPED 7, that I use when not tugging the camper.
    Inflates quickly and sleeps very well ...
    They come up for auction on ebay quite often, and can most times be gottern at a very reasonable price.
    Got mine there used, but like brand new, for $45.00

G
    What they said!
    XPED is the only way to go for me!
    Trailace/ Rick
    “You can tell the size of the man by the size of the things that bother him”
    Honda GL1800 Goldwing 2014
    BMW G650X Challenge 2007

Another vote for any nice, thick, and preferably insulated, self-inflating air pad here. I've tried the high-tech cots too. They're comfy, but in addition to an air pad it was overkill for me.

David
    2014 Street Glide Special