Thread: Red Rock Canyon State Park, Hinton, OK

Red Rock Canyon State Park, Hinton, OK

I was planning a trip from NM to Morton, IL to visit family recently, and came across this park as an overnight destination.

It is sort of mid-way for me and just off interstate 40 about fifty miles West of Oklahoma City, OK. The park campsites are pretty well protected from the wind, especially in loop 1. Water and shower houses(takes quarters) are available in the park. The park is just on the edge of Hinton, so you can go into town for some grub or ice. They have tent and rv sites.

This place would make a nice overnight stop or even a longer stay....if you are into repelling, they have that available too in loop 1.

Re: Red Rock Canyon State Park, Hinton, OK

This used to be one of my favorite State Parks back when I used to rappel a lot, but a word of warning, it's set in a lowered area in relation to the flat prairie around it, kind of like being in a bowl. In the winter it's great with the wind blocked, in the summer it's like being in a dutch oven down there.

Other than that it's a great place, nice and quiet. A few gravel roads, but not bad. Usually clean, might stay away from spring break.
    My pics page: http://picasaweb.google.com/mrguy001

2003 Suzuki DR 650, The touring model.