Thread: Van Hook Glade - Highlands NC

Van Hook Glade - Highlands NC

Van Hook Glade campground is just outside of Highlands NC on Old 64 or "Franklin Rd" about 4 miles NW of Highlands. This is a small, 24 campsite, facility that is a great little spot to stay. There is not water and electricity at any of the sites, but there is water spigots near each site for coffee and such. Showers/hot water are available as is a flush toilet facility. There are only two showers and toilet facilities available, but there was never a wait. There is a host campsite and the current hosts are great people (will be there till Oct ,2011).
    Campsites can be reserved at http://www.recreation.gov DO NOT USE www.reserveamerica.com , they are not reliable at all!!

Lost to do in the area, great hiking trails, lots of waterfalls and the road between Franklin and Highland is a nice twisty ride! If you go be sure to do the Whiteside Mountain Trail. Also get a picture behind Bridal Veil Falls!!

Here are a few pictures to enjoy:Van Hook Glade Camping

I forgot to mention this..We were there for 3 nights, on Sat afternoon we decided to take a hike. There were only about 4-5 campers leftin the park due to some rains we encountered. Upon returning from our hike, I said to my wife that Iwas heading up to the restrooms. As I started waking to the facilities, I heard my wife calling me, rather franticaly. I ran back to the campsite where she tells me that there was a black bear in the vacant campsite just next to us!! Sure enough, the bear was startled and went into the woods, but did not completely run off..just hiding near a tree. I did get to see it, but not as clear as my wife had...she was a bit upset by the encounter!

2008 GL1800-HPNA with 55,000+ miles
    1995 BunkHouse camper
    Darkside #1720

#%@*, it's raining again! Ironheadziggy76's Avatar

Re: Van Hook Glade - Highlands NC

Great pics! Looks like y'all had a great time. I really like the pic of the bike under the falls!
    Steve

2017 Suzuki DL650A V-Strom 2005 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2002 Harley Road King Classic, 1976 Harley Sportster

Nice pics, looks like ya had a good time.
    Gary

2005 Honda VTX 1800,2001 Honda Shadow VLX, 1970 Honda Passport 70
    2013 Ural Patrol -1989 Holsclaw cargo
    MOPH, American Legion, NRA
    IBMC,UMCI,ADV,PGR
    sold 1981 Honda Goldwing 1100
    sold 2005 Electra Glide
    sold 1974 Yamaha 500DHC
    sold 1978 Yamaha Enduro 175
    sold 1970 Honda trail 70
    sold 1965 Honda 100

I've gone up there the last couple of summers. Can't get enough of that place. So nice.

David
    2014 Street Glide Special

Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Holly Springs, NC

Great pics, thanks for sharing.
    Might have to put that place on the to do list.

ILIKEYMYWING!
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDelivers View Post
    Great pics, thanks for sharing.
    Might have to put that place on the to do list.
    Blackwood NJ!!! I used to live in Franklinville...just down the road! Moved to GA for the job and 10 years later got let go. Just started a new job! Almost condsidering moving back north!!

SM

Does anyone know if Van Hook Glade is still going well? I'm tempted to give it a try this fall, probably need reservations since its so small? Any preferred site number for a tent camper?

ILIKEYMYWING!
    (Threadstarter)

Quote Originally Posted by SageDrifter View Post
    Does anyone know if Van Hook Glade is still going well? I'm tempted to give it a try this fall, probably need reservations since its so small? Any preferred site number for a tent camper?
    My best assumption is that it still a good site to visit. I don't remember the actual site number but all were good! Have fun!